Are the posted questions getting worse?

• TomThomson (4/25/2016)

yb751 (4/25/2016)

It's interesting to see all the idioms from different languages that mean the same thing.

Wish I could remember one from my native tongue but it's been almost lost on me now. Would have to ask the folks. lol

There's a lot of variety even within a single language for this sort of expression.

I've been waiting to see if Jeff would come up with "He has only one oar in the water", but he hasn't. Could that be because submarines don't use oars?

I would think something like 'there just are not enough pork chops to make a dent'.

• SQLRNNR (4/25/2016)

David Burrows (4/25/2016)

Ed Wagner (4/25/2016)

Another good one is to say that someone's "out to lunch". Well, I've taken that a step further and say that someone's "so out to lunch - they never came back from breakfast". 😀

Their lift (elevator) doesn't go to the top floor. 😀

Another favorite of mine.

Here is one from the south:

"Bless his(her) heart!"

Always preferred this one:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/25/2016)

SQLRNNR (4/25/2016)

David Burrows (4/25/2016)

Ed Wagner (4/25/2016)

Another good one is to say that someone's "out to lunch". Well, I've taken that a step further and say that someone's "so out to lunch - they never came back from breakfast". 😀

Their lift (elevator) doesn't go to the top floor. 😀

Another favorite of mine.

Here is one from the south:

"Bless his(her) heart!"

Always preferred this one:

:w00t::w00t:

Coffee spillage has occurred.

• Jeff Moden (4/25/2016)

Greg Edwards-268690 (4/25/2016)

Michael L John (4/25/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (4/25/2016)

djj (4/25/2016)

Jeff Moden (4/25/2016)

Greg Edwards-268690 (4/25/2016)

Runs like a raccoon should be in the list.

Once I saw one run (?) across the road in front of me, I quickly knew why so many end up dead on the roadside.

Deer aren't a whole lot better.

Many times they are standing at the side of the road, then wait until you are really close, then try to cross in front of you.

Heh... my cousin never had a problem with that until he installed "deer whistles" on his truck. They're supposed to drive the deer away. He hit two the first week he had them installed.

Pay attention all you hunters! 😛

On a motorcycle forum, a person posted to ride without deer problems, all they had to do was wear their hunting cloths. 😀

Like wearing pinstripes when going to the bank:-D

😎

My ex once asked how they got the deer to cross the roads at the signs. She was blond, at least at the time, which is another thread entirely!

Deer whistles must have been invented by a body man during slow times to boost business.

I wonder if they are legal to hunt with?

You might be able to jam a bullet in them but they don't have triggers. :-D:-P;-):hehe:

Well, if they don't have triggers, I'm surprised Michael doesn't have them installed all over the place already. 😀

• Anybody know who / what that giant sith/alien lord was in the latest Star wars film? (Which I watched 2 nights ago whilst wearing my jabba the hut mask).

• That's one of the unanswered questions that they left to whet your appetite for the next two films. No real knowledge yet who that is. In real life, it's Andy Serkis again, the CGI-stand-in professional.

• jeff.mason (4/26/2016)

That's one of the unanswered questions that they left to whet your appetite for the next two films. No real knowledge yet who that is. In real life, it's Andy Serkis again, the CGI-stand-in professional.

I have been whetted.

I cannot wait to see Luke hold that blue light sabre with his new metal hand.

• BLOB_EATER (4/26/2016)

Anybody know who / what that giant sith/alien lord was in the latest Star wars film? (Which I watched 2 nights ago whilst wearing my jabba the hut mask).

Well since he was just a hologram his true size is undetermined. He could end up being the size of an Ewok for all we know. Just saying... 😉

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• I just want to know more about Rey. For me the biggest triumph of the new movie was the painting of three solid new main characters that I actually care about. There wasn't a single character outside of Obi-Wan in the prequels that I gave a rip about. Even Yoda was a lame letdown.

• jeff.mason (4/26/2016)

I just want to know more about Rey. For me the biggest triumph of the new movie was the painting of three solid new main characters that I actually care about. There wasn't a single character outside of Obi-Wan in the prequels that I gave a rip about. Even Yoda was a lame letdown.

Agreed...Rey, Finn and Poe were such great new characters. Good thing too since they don't have to continually use the older characters as crutches. And to think I read that originally Poe was supposed to die but JJ had a change of heart.

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• Did you know the chap who played Finn originally played the character in his British accent but then it was decided he was to use the American accent? I learnt that whilst watching it via Amazon Video's IMDB XRAY.

• I was thinking Rey, Finn and Kylo. They obviously need a villain figure, but the idea of an emo Dark Lord who has no control of his emotions and is therefore wild and unpredictable, and making him the son of Han and Leia, was an inspired move IMO. I loved every second those three were on the screen.

• Oh joy of joys...

Final week of my current contract. Jump in the car for the start of the 240 mile drive. Red STOP engine failure light comes on half a mile into the journey. So turn around. As its a Sunday... Luckily Enterprise just round the corner are open Sunday afternoon. Sort out hire car.

Yesterday ring garage who serviced it only a couple of weeks ago as it might be something on the back of that. They can't pick it up so I arrange for a neighbour to take it there with my dad (who doesn't drive). They can't do anything. So the car comes back. Oddly enough I find out that the light didn't come on when they drove it to the garage. But it did come on for the return! Its less than a mile away.

So ring the main dealer and discover the car has a 4 year warranty not 3 - that's a bit of luck... Sadly I've done far more miles than the allowable for the main dealer to do a normal service... So I went to my usual garage (just in case anyone was wondering why I did that!)

So after explaining the problem;

1. They can't pick it. They offer a pick up service but apparently they need about a 6 week notice!

2. Should be covered by the warranty, unless its a result of the service by the other garage. But then I can claim that from the other garage is that's the case.

3. as its under warranty I can get the RAC out for free to look at it.

So book with RAC. They come out. Nothing wrong with the engine, but they also can't take the car to the main dealer. Wrong assistance vehicle.

Went back to my dad, arranged for neighbour to take it up to main dealer when he is back.

I then rang the main dealer back booked it in, but they have had to suspend the booking. I get back late Friday, then Saturday jump on a train for a week of train journeys including going up to Liverpool for SQL Bits. So I won't get back for a week...

So when they drop it off they have to explain its already booked in, but the booking is suspended...

What could possibly go wrong 😀

Oh this time next week I should be in Liverpool...

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (4/26/2016)

Oh joy of joys...

Final week of my current contract. Jump in the car for the start of the 240 mile drive. Red STOP engine failure light comes on half a mile into the journey. So turn around. As its a Sunday... Luckily Enterprise just round the corner are open Sunday afternoon. Sort out hire car.

Yesterday ring garage who serviced it only a couple of weeks ago as it might be something on the back of that. They can't pick it up so I arrange for a neighbour to take it there with my dad (who doesn't drive). They can't do anything. So the car comes back. Oddly enough I find out that the light didn't come on when they drove it to the garage. But it did come on for the return! Its less than a mile away.

So ring the main dealer and discover the car has a 4 year warranty not 3 - that's a bit of luck... Sadly I've done far more miles than the allowable for the main dealer to do a normal service... So I went to my usual garage (just in case anyone was wondering why I did that!)

1. They can't pick it. They offer a pick up service but apparently they need about a 6 week notice!

2. Should be covered by the warranty, unless its a result of the service by the other garage. But then I can claim that from the other garage is that's the case.

So book with RAC. They come out. Nothing wrong with the engine, but they also can't take the car to the main dealer. Wrong assistance vehicle.

Went back to my dad, arranged for neighbour to take it up to main dealer when he is back.

I then rang the main dealer back booked it in, but they have had to suspend the booking. I get back late Friday, then Saturday jump on a train for a week of train journeys including going up to Liverpool for SQL Bits. So I won't get back for a week...

So when they drop it off they have to explain its already booked in, but the booking is suspended...

Rodders...

I think you deserve an ice cold beer tonight.

• BLOB_EATER (4/26/2016)

rodjkidd (4/26/2016)

Oh joy of joys...

Rodders...

I think you deserve an ice cold beer tonight.

Thanks, I think I will do just that... 🙂

Rodders...

Viewing 15 posts - 53,746 through 53,760 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply