Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gaby Abed (6/4/2009)

And now for something completely different...

I'm visiting Amsterdam this December, staying with a sister. I'm not Dutch but was wondering what some great places to visit outside Amsterdam would be. I've been there before but never really been outside the city itself, which is beautiful in and of itself.

Anything fun I should see at least once in the rest of the country occurring around the second half of December?

Gaby,

I live in Amsterdam and I must say december is not the ideal time of the year to visit. I would recommend to plan mainly indoor activites. Only if your really lucky and there is ice on the canals, when skating is a definite must. Most dutch people love skating and the whole country goes mad when there's ice. But unfortunately that only happens once every ten years or so.

If your interested in art, there are quite a lot of good museums.

Outside of Amsterdam you could make a daytrip to Haarlem or Utrecht, both really nice cities and no more than a 30 minute drive away.

Or if you follow the typical tourist trail there's Marken, Volendam and the Zaanse Schans.

http://www.zaanseschans.nl/

All within about 20 km from A'dam city center, but not sure if it's the right thing in december.

Or maybe if your interested in history go to Muiden and vist the old castle. http://www.muiderslot.nl/

Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• MarkusB (6/5/2009)

Gaby Abed (6/4/2009)

And now for something completely different...

I'm visiting Amsterdam this December, staying with a sister. I'm not Dutch but was wondering what some great places to visit outside Amsterdam would be. I've been there before but never really been outside the city itself, which is beautiful in and of itself.

Anything fun I should see at least once in the rest of the country occurring around the second half of December?

Gaby,

I live in Amsterdam and I must say december is not the ideal time of the year to visit. I would recommend to plan mainly indoor activites. Only if your really lucky and there is ice on the canals, when skating is a definite must. Most dutch people love skating and the whole country goes mad when there's ice. But unfortunately that only happens once every ten years or so.

If your interested in art, there are quite a lot of good museums.

Outside of Amsterdam you could make a daytrip to Haarlem or Utrecht, both really nice cities and no more than a 30 minute drive away.

Or if you follow the typical tourist trail there's Marken, Volendam and the Zaanse Schans.

http://www.zaanseschans.nl/

All within about 20 km from A'dam city center, but not sure if it's the right thing in december.

Or maybe if your interested in history go to Muiden and vist the old castle. http://www.muiderslot.nl/

Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay.

Too bad she is visiting A'dam in December, she should definitely visit Keukenhof about this time of year

http://www.keukenhof.nl/

been there last year and it is really something beautiful

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Doc (6/5/2009)

Too bad she is visiting A'dam in December, she should definitely visit Keukenhof about this time of year

http://www.keukenhof.nl/

been there last year and it is really something beautiful

Heh heh...Gaby is...ahem...male. But I understand the confusion. 😀 I guess it's a common nickname for girls in Europe, but in my defense, it's a pure nickname given to me by my parents which stuck. And apparently there have been a few distinguished male Gaby's out there (even a chain of Irish pubs here in Toronto called Gabby's). LOL

Gaby

• Gianluca Sartori (6/5/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/4/2009)

If you don't trust it, then use a cursor or write a CLR. But, many people have tried to make the "quirky" update go wrong and they haven't been able to do it without breaking at least one of the rules for it's usage.

Jeff, I just don't have words enough to thank you for coming up with this technique: I've been using it on a quite big table (2 mln rows) over the last 5 months on a production db (risk is my middle name...) and it took a mission-critical procedure from 100 to 5 minutes (it was originally written with cursors in 2002 when the number of rows in the table was 20 times fewer). Since I applied this method, nothing went wrong and everything works like a charm, twice a day since january.

I don't know if this is a proof, but for sure it is "half a proof".

Regards,

Gianluca

Outstanding. Thank you for taking the time to post such feedback. I'm tickled to think I may have made someone's life a little bit easier.

I wish I could take the credit for coming up with the technique but it's not my original idea. It's been around since Sybase has been. I just helped spread the word and identified a couple of its quirks.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Alvin Ramard (6/4/2009)

GilaMonster (6/4/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/4/2009)

Here we go again with truncating and shrinking logs, especially when people don't understand what it is they are doing.

Do you understand what he's done? Cause I'm not sure I do

I guessing that in trying to shrink it down to 40 GB he had a typo in the command and shrank it down to 4 MB instead of 40 GB.

It's just a guess.

I looked at the post again this morning thinking it was a different item.

The title on the post is: "Truncated 60GB log file to 4MB, Is it cause..."

I thought it was 100GB ... I think that the OP may have some other issues to deal with besides the log size.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Steve:

I keep running into people looking for some advice on "what's a good book to start with in learning SQL Server?", and similar questions about starting the DBA path.

In the most recent, the person asked about an FAQ on that subject. I think that's a really good idea.

If the main menu for the site (on the left, with Home, Articles, Editorials... et al) had an SQL FAQ section that you could put certain discussions and/or articles into, that would be a great resource for the site.

Could have material about "How to Post for Best Results", "How to Start out in SQL Server", "Forum Etiquette", "Numbers/Tally Table" (that one comes up a LOT), "String Parsing". Might be others I'm not thinking of, but those would at least get it started.

Everyone else on The Thread:

What do you think of that idea? I think it would be really helpful. Wouldn't want too much on there, since we'd want a high signal:noise ratio, but a few common things might be good.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• FAQ sounds like a great idea.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Gianluca Sartori (6/5/2009)

Regards,

Gianluca

Does that make it a theorem?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Gaby Abed (6/5/2009)

Heh heh...Gaby is...ahem...male. But I understand the confusion. 😀 I guess it's a common nickname for girls in Europe, but in my defense, it's a pure nickname given to me by my parents which stuck. And apparently there have been a few distinguished male Gaby's out there (even a chain of Irish pubs here in Toronto called Gabby's). LOL

'Course he is . . .

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (6/5/2009)

Gianluca Sartori (6/5/2009)

Regards,

Gianluca

More of a conjecture I think

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • Mark (6/5/2009)

jcrawf02 (6/5/2009)

Gianluca Sartori (6/5/2009)

Regards,

Gianluca

More of a conjecture I think

I don't know if you did that on purpose or not, but hilarious!:-D

• Looks like email notification may be down again.

Edit:

Looks like they're starting to come thru now.

Alvin Ramard

• Seems that for the past day or so the notifications have been coming through, just REALLY delayed. That's been my experience, YYMV.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• A bit of humor for those of you who own dice with more than six sides.

http://xkcd.com/[/url]

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (6/5/2009)

A bit of humor for those of you who own dice with more than six sides.

http://xkcd.com/[/url]

That is a good one! Thanks for the laugh on slow Friday! 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 5,386 through 5,400 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply