Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jcrawf02 (6/5/2009)

Mark (6/5/2009)

jcrawf02 (6/5/2009)

Gianluca Sartori (6/5/2009)

I don't know if this is a proof, but for sure it is "half a proof".

Regards,

Gianluca

Does that make it a theorem?

More of a conjecture I think

I don't know if you did that on purpose or not, but hilarious!:-D

I don't know how it sounds in English, but in Italian it's something you can say.

We usually say "two clues make a proof" to address a situation when you can reasonably guess in a certain direction upon the clues you have so far, but I'm sure there's nothing like that in English.

I just wanted to say that I tried Jeff's technique, I had it in a test environment for two months and, when I realized that it was working like a charm, I put it in production. I know that some of you are reluctant about relying on the clustered index order and I was reluctant too: I just tried and I'm happy with the results.

I won't blame Jeff if some day it stops working, I will just restore the old procedure and tell the users they have to wait 90 minutes for their data 😀

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Alvin Ramard (6/5/2009)

Looks like email notification may be down again.

Edit:

Looks like they're starting to come thru now.

Actually it seems like it might be a time zone issue. I was just notified about Gus's post about the FAQ. According to my TZ settings within SSC his post shows as "Posted Today @ 9:43 AM"

According to the header info in the the email I received notifying me of this post, it was created at 8:34:30 -0600 (an hour after the post) and arrived at my mail server @ 7:35:00 -0700.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Bob Hovious (6/5/2009)

A bit of humor for those of you who own dice with more than six sides.

http://xkcd.com/[/url]

Excellent. When they're funny, they're really funny.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• jcrawf02 (6/5/2009)

I don't know if this is a proof, but for sure it is "half a proof".

Regards,

Gianluca

Does that make it a theorem?

Heh... in theory. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Gaby Abed (6/5/2009)

Doc (6/5/2009)

Too bad she is visiting A'dam in December, she should definitely visit Keukenhof about this time of year

http://www.keukenhof.nl/

been there last year and it is really something beautiful

Heh heh...Gaby is...ahem...male. But I understand the confusion. 😀 I guess it's a common nickname for girls in Europe, but in my defense, it's a pure nickname given to me by my parents which stuck. And apparently there have been a few distinguished male Gaby's out there (even a chain of Irish pubs here in Toronto called Gabby's). LOL

Sorry about that :hehe:

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Gianluca Sartori (6/5/2009)

I won't blame Jeff if some day it stops working, I will just restore the old procedure and tell the users they have to wait 90 minutes for their data 😀

Heh... I have to tell you, I use the technique in a huge number of different things especially for some really whacko ETL requirements. If MS ever changes the way it works, I'm making a special pork chop run on Redmond.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (6/5/2009)

Heh... I have to tell you, I use the technique in a huge number of different things especially for some really whacko ETL requirements. If MS ever changes the way it works, I'm making a special pork chop run on Redmond.

RBAR Revisits Rage on Redmond - film at 11 . . .

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Jeff Moden (6/5/2009)

Just remember, your porkchop delivery method needs to be scalable for that kind of thing. After all, you of all people wouldn't want to accidentally end up with a porkchop-by-agonizing-porkchop solution!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (6/5/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/5/2009)

Just remember, your porkchop delivery method needs to be scalable for that kind of thing. After all, you of all people wouldn't want to accidentally end up with a porkchop-by-agonizing-porkchop solution!

But doesn't "PBAP" pretty much describe the sound of incoming porkchops at 60 mph (100 kph)?

• Here is another OMG moment.

• Lynn Pettis (6/5/2009)

Here is another OMG moment.

Oh wow. That's a first for me. He is right though. Almost any question can be answered by the suggestion to go and read the book.... hint, hint... get it?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (6/5/2009)

Lynn, are your wall padded with rubber yet? If not you should try it so it won't hurt as much when you beat your head against the wall.

The alternative is to stay in your tent, Those walls should be soft.

😎

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (6/5/2009)

He may have just misunderstood what BoL was. I'd be a little unhappy if I asked a simple question and was told to go buy a book. Let's see how he responds.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/5/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/5/2009)

He may have just misunderstood what BoL was. I'd be a little unhappy if I asked a simple question and was told to go buy a book. Let's see how he responds.

Partial points for this answer. I'll bite that maybe he didn't understand what Books Online is, but I NEVER used the word BUY or phrase BUY THE BOOK. 😉

• Lynn Pettis (6/5/2009)

GilaMonster (6/5/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/5/2009)

Partial points for this answer. I'll bite that maybe he didn't understand what Books Online is, but I NEVER used the word BUY or phrase BUY THE BOOK. 😉

No, but if he assumed you were telling him to go read a book that he thought he didn't have....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 5,401 through 5,415 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply