Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jcrawf02 (6/8/2009)

Florian Reischl (6/8/2009)

tosscrosby (6/8/2009)

Florian Reischl (6/8/2009)

Oups!

A typo in my "Smurf"...

I didn't know if you call him "Daddy" or "Papa". Just thought "Daddy" is more common in US.

Thanks Jeff!

Only in the form of a question, as in "who's your daddy?"

Thanks for explanation! I really didn't know.

That's not right, Toss! Funny, but not right. . .

Florian, don't go asking anybody "who's your daddy?", especially if they're female. It's a colloquialism that infers sexual overtones.

So THAT's why I keep getting slapped. 😛 Something else I just learned... I always though "harass" was two words! Imagine my surprise... :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (6/8/2009)

So THAT's why I keep getting slapped. 😛 Something else I just learned... I always though "harass" was two words! Imagine my surprise... :hehe:

2 words and one of them is not "his", but it's yours that get's in trouble. Right?

😀

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Anyone want to help out here:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic731030-338-1.aspx#bm731057 I'm in wrong time zone to be any more help 🙁

• Hey Barry... how many more articles do you have planned for your "15 ways to lose your cursor" series, and when would the next one be publishing? It's been too long now...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Back from SQLSaturday #14 in Pensacola, what did I mess?

• WayneS (6/8/2009)

Hey Barry... how many more articles do you have planned for your "15 ways to lose your cursor" series, and when would the next one be publishing? It's been too long now...

I'm still trying to catch-up at work. I was out sick for almost 4 weeks and as a consultant, when I am out, no one does my work for me... 🙁

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I've just read that Rajeev Motwani died last friday 🙁

Rajeev Motwani was a professor of computer science at Stanford University, where he also served as the director of graduate studies. His research interests included: databases and data mining, web search and information retrieval, robotics, and theoretical computer science. While at Stanford, he was the founder of the Mining Data at Stanford project, also known as MIDAS.

Motwani was well-known for his mentoring of Google co-founders Larry Paige and Sergey Brin.

He was a co-author of the book, Randomized Algorithms, published by Cambridge University Press. Motwani received the Arthur P. Sloan Research Fellowship, the National Young Investigator Award from the National Science Foundation, the Bergmann Memorial Award from the US-Israel Binational Science Foundation and an IBM Faculty Award.

Motwani studied computer science at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur and completed his doctorate at UC-Berkeley.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/8/2009)

Back from SQLSaturday #14 in Pensacola, what did I mess?

Now there's a loaded question . . .

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I'm gonna be offline most, if not all of this week. Taking a vacation and for part of the time, I'll be somewhere with no cell coverage or broadband. I'm sure there will be at least 100 posts for me catch up with by the time I get back.:-D

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (6/9/2009)

I'm sure there will be at least 100 posts for me catch up with by the time I get back.:-D

That'll be just today's postings! :w00t:

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/8/2009)

Okay, Steve. Normally I back you up when you have typos in articles and someone calls you on it. But that's just too good to pass up! LOL 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (6/9/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/8/2009)

Okay, Steve. Normally I back you up when you have typos in articles and someone calls you on it. But that's just too good to pass up! LOL 🙂

So the typo was the word what, right? It should have been where?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Okay, I must be in pissy mood today and I have NO idea why. I just lmgtfy twice in the same thread...

• Lynn Pettis (6/9/2009)

Okay, I must be in pissy mood today and I have NO idea why. I just lmgtfy twice in the same thread...

I don't think that's a sign of a pissy mood.

I think it needed to be done.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• LOL, how did I typo that? Keys are on different sides of the keyboard, different hands, I must have been tired.

The majority of my thread notifications were from this thread last night, and I posted as I was falling asleep, apparently.

Glad it's only 10 of you that will likely see that one :w00t:

Viewing 15 posts - 5,491 through 5,505 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply