Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (10/8/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (10/8/2016)

Ouch ...biting the tongue....

😎

We all know the reason for the given answer... she simply doesn't know any better method even after she's been shown how to avoid loops dozens of times on this very site. As you say, I'll bite my tongue and suppress the urge to rant, especially about that individual. Can't help a person catch fish where there's no water. πŸ˜€

Exactly what the OP is trying to do raises more eyebrows than the intended method:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1824055.aspx

The OP has stated two completely different reasons for rejigging the keys in these tables - someone inadvertently messed up; a school has changed its' schoolID. The latter is easy to fix. The former less so. Any sensible answer has to take these into account. To compound the issue, the OP seems to think that there should be a "locker set" per school per year, when there isn't a column in the locker table to identify school year.

I think the OP is in over her head with this one. I'd like to help more but she's bl00dy stubborn. Fixing code is easy. Fixing attitudes - forget it.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Well seeing as its only two weeks away now... Here are my Summit plans.

I get to Seattle on Saturday 22 Oct via an overnight stay in New York.

Fly back to New York on Sunday 30th Oct for 3 nights.

Boston Wednesday 2nd until Monday 7th

Then Back to New York Until Friday 11th. Fly back early evening to arrive at 6:30 am back at Heathrow the next day :w00t:

Bit of fun going back and forth, but its cheaper to do the international return to New York then an internal flight to Seattle. And of course I'm fitting in some concerts while I'm in all three cities.

Just one hotel left to book in New York. Then one in Cardiff for Saturday 12th - don't ask! :O

Also about to book a place on Jason's freecon as it looks as though the Summit precon I was going to book is full!

So anyone around the New York or Boston area who wants to meet up let me know.

I know Grant is sorting out when he will be around when I'm in Boston. It would be great to meet up with anyone else for a chat and coffee while I'm out there. Especially if you can't make Summit.

And if you can all keep the noise down today... I got stuck on a train for extra 90 minutes or so last night for a 1 hour journey, due to points failures, got back at 2 am So I am extra tired after a very nice weekend in the countryside with lots of walking πŸ™

Cheers,

Rodders...

• Luis Cazares (10/7/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (10/6/2016)

Smile, Matthew!

Yeah, I can see the creepy in this one.

EDIT: I wonder when the conspiracy theories are going to start on this one.

I just saw the theory that it's not Matthew, but Mumra. (Note that I'm Generation X)

Image attached.

"Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!"

Yes, I remember that show well. And who knows... This could be Third Earth. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Matthew update: We had a lot of small branches come down in our yard, so lots of cleanup. Everything was fine until Matthew moved past us. We lost power in the middle of the night to about 11:00 a.m. in the morning. I got to break out the camping stove-grill for making breakfast (pancakes & bacon to use up our eggs, some milk, and all the bacon).

A tree came down in the neighbors' yards. It had a shared root system in two yards and took down two fence panels as it crashed into a third neighbor's hard. Fortunately no roofs, cars or people were harmed in the process. Just some fence and some yard. Lots of stop lights went out and people forgot that non-working stop lights are supposed to be treated as four-way stops. I heard a ton of sirens as I was cooking breakfast Saturday morning.

There was a decent amount of flooding all over the place, but not in my neighborhood. High ground hath its privileges. We expect flooding along the river basin for the rest of the week, but all in all we got out with a lot less damage than anyone really expected and things are mostly getting back to normal.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Ah, why not.

I get to Seattle Sunday 23rd Oct (via London)

Monday afternoon: Jason's Freecon (monday morning = sleeping in)

Tuesday probably Pass UG and/Or SQLSaturday meetings, though my UG leader is going this time

Friday evening is booked, but the other evenings are free at the moment

Fly back Monday 31st Oct (flights out on the Sunday to Joburg were ridiculously expensive)

Rodney, are you interested in meeting up for dinner or something on the Saturday after Pass? I plan to make a tour of bookshops that day

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Brandie Tarvin (10/10/2016)

Matthew update: We had a lot of small branches come down in our yard, so lots of cleanup. Everything was fine until Matthew moved past us. We lost power in the middle of the night to about 11:00 a.m. in the morning. I got to break out the camping stove-grill for making breakfast (pancakes & bacon to use up our eggs, some milk, and all the bacon).

A tree came down in the neighbors' yards. It had a shared root system in two yards and took down two fence panels as it crashed into a third neighbor's hard. Fortunately no roofs, cars or people were harmed in the process. Just some fence and some yard. Lots of stop lights went out and people forgot that non-working stop lights are supposed to be treated as four-way stops. I heard a ton of sirens as I was cooking breakfast Saturday morning.

There was a decent amount of flooding all over the place, but not in my neighborhood. High ground hath its privileges. We expect flooding along the river basin for the rest of the week, but all in all we got out with a lot less damage than anyone really expected and things are mostly getting back to normal.

Hi Brandie,

Thanks for the update. I was going to ask how you were over the weekend.

Rodders...

• GilaMonster (10/10/2016)

Ah, why not.

I get to Seattle Sunday 23rd Oct (via London)

Monday afternoon: Jason's Freecon (monday morning = sleeping in)

Tuesday probably Pass UG and/Or SQLSaturday meetings, though my UG leader is going this time

Friday evening is booked, but the other evenings are free at the moment

Fly back Monday 31st Oct (flights out on the Sunday to Joburg were ridiculously expensive)

Rodney, are you interested in meeting up for dinner or something on the Saturday after Pass? I plan to make a tour of bookshops that day

Gail,

You aren't flying Delta are you on your flight out?

Haha Friday I'm seeing Ian Anderson (or is it Jethro Tull) in concert in Seattle Friday night. Going out on a limb and guessing that isn't why you are busy Friday. πŸ˜‰

Saturday. Now that sounds like an excellent plan. And if you are going out to the Uni quarter to go to bookshops I wouldn't mind tagging along for that, as I still have to make it out to the Uni quarter.

Cheers,

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (10/10/2016)

Hell no. After their mess last year I'm done with Delta. Standardising to BA for all flights, local and international now. Also means I get enough points to get to mid-level in their loyalty program.

Haha Friday I'm seeing Ian Anderson (or is it Jethro Tull) in concert in Seattle Friday night. Going out on a limb and guessing that isn't why you are busy Friday. πŸ˜‰

No, though that would probably be fun. Private dinner with a friend.

Saturday. Now that sounds like an excellent plan. And if you are going out to the Uni quarter to go to bookshops I wouldn't mind tagging along for that, as I still have to make it out to the Uni quarter.

Was planning to start with Barnes & Noble, then Elliot Bay, then the University of Washington bookshop

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

rodjkidd (10/10/2016)

Hell no. After their mess last year I'm done with Delta. Standardising to BA for all flights, local and international now. Also means I get enough points to get to mid-level in their loyalty program.

Was planning to start with Barnes & Noble, then Elliot Bay, then the University of Washington bookshop

GAH! Gail... Please... You MUST, absolutely MUST, add Golden Age Collectables to your list of bookstores to visit. It's in Pike Place Market. I think you would absolutely adore that place. Please don't miss it. It's like on the second or third level down kind of hidden behind a staircase.

GilaMonster (10/10/2016)

rodjkidd (10/10/2016)

GAH! Gail... Please... You MUST, absolutely MUST, add Golden Age Collectables to your list of bookstores to visit. It's in Pike Place Market. I think you would absolutely adore that place. Please don't miss it. It's like on the second or third level down kind of hidden behind a staircase.

Well, Brandie, I see you're still online. How are things at both properties? Other than the neighbor's tree, did you suffer any damage?

The good news is that Nicole is supposed to stay out in the Atlantic.

• Ed Wagner (10/10/2016)

Well, Brandie, I see you're still online. How are things at both properties? Other than the neighbor's tree, did you suffer any damage?

I haven't checked out the second property yet. I need to go there later after I finish cleaning up the house. We lost some fence. It basically fell over where it stood. But it needed replacing anyway (we were in the process of get quotes right as the hurricane hit). Other than that and lots of branches, the house seems good. I suppose we should give the roof a good once over just to be sure we didn't get any damage, but the roof is only a few years old so I think we're good there.

I'm worried, though, that there's a lot of trees down at the lot, or a lot of branches. I'll find out when I go to visit today or tomorrow. I'm hoping it didn't get flooded. (EDIT: The lot is only a few blocks away from the St. John's River, so flooding is somewhat of a possibility.)

GilaMonster (10/10/2016)

rodjkidd (10/10/2016)

Delta - interesting. I know someone who is flying out Sunday with them. Work has paid for them, but flying them out economy with Delta on the Sunday, attending two pre-cons and flying back the Saturday might be a bit much for someone's first long haul flight :w00t:

I'm flying Delta from NY to Seattle, so I shall bare what you have said in mind!

I like BA πŸ™‚

Well that Saturday sounds OK to me, and if you also include the one Brandie has mentioned I up for it.

Cheers,

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (10/10/2016)

Well seeing as its only two weeks away now... Here are my Summit plans.

See you there

As wonderful as that B&N bookshop is, if you ever get the chance take a trip to Portland (the Amtrak is very nice for that journey) go to Portland's Powell's City of Books. I was in Portland last year, before the summit and visited it every day. The rare books room is amazing and I love the way they have new and second-hand book together throughout the store.

Needing a map to get around was something my brain struggled to comprehend.

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/10/2016)

rodjkidd (10/10/2016)

Well seeing as its only two weeks away now... Here are my Summit plans.

See you there

Excellent!

And see the famous Steve and Andy meet and greet is back πŸ™‚

Rodders...

Viewing 15 posts - 56,146 through 56,160 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply