Are the posted questions getting worse?

• BrainDonor (10/10/2016)

GilaMonster (10/10/2016)

Was planning to start with Barnes & Noble, then Elliot Bay, then the University of Washington bookshop

As wonderful as that B&N bookshop is, if you ever get the chance take a trip to Portland (the Amtrak is very nice for that journey) go to Portland's Powell's City of Books. I was in Portland last year, before the summit and visited it every day. The rare books room is amazing and I love the way they have new and second-hand book together throughout the store.

Needing a map to get around was something my brain struggled to comprehend.

Powell's is AWESOME. I need to visit Portland again just to go there.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (10/9/2016)

Who deleted the thread on stuffing overlapping intervals?

😎

Looks like the automatic spam hider had a ball there. I can still see it but it is marked as "hidden". If you report it with the URL provided, they'll be able to unhide it.

Damn spam detection system on this site... It allows a shedload of URL-only spam (the most obvious type and prevalent type) and then whacks stuff that isn't. I wish they fix this problem.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• This was an... interesting? ... read. Weird location. I've never heard of this person. I think this is their only SQL writing. It's just odd.

No need to pile on or do anything mean. I just found it really interesting. Thought I would share. From reading up on the author, I think they just write stuff, any stuff.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (10/10/2016)

This was an... interesting? ... read. Weird location. I've never heard of this person. I think this is their only SQL writing. It's just odd.

No need to pile on or do anything mean. I just found it really interesting. Thought I would share. From reading up on the author, I think they just write stuff, any stuff.

I wonder if this person understands how SANs work at all. I've known places where it doesn't matter how many logical drives you have, they're all on the same section of SAN, so are still using the same exact resource. Which would make separating them out kind of useless.

And then there's this golden nugget:

When there are extra columns within the database, the system will perform poorly.

Ummm. Hrrrr. So how do I remove those pesky extra columns from the database? Given the phrasing, I assume these are rogue columns without a table. Does anyone have a magic lasso with which to round up rogue columns?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GilaMonster (10/10/2016)

Ah, why not.

I get to Seattle Sunday 23rd Oct (via London)

Monday afternoon: Jason's Freecon (monday morning = sleeping in)

Tuesday probably Pass UG and/Or SQLSaturday meetings, though my UG leader is going this time

Friday evening is booked, but the other evenings are free at the moment

Fly back Monday 31st Oct (flights out on the Sunday to Joburg were ridiculously expensive)

Rodney, are you interested in meeting up for dinner or something on the Saturday after Pass? I plan to make a tour of bookshops that day

Oh, we'e sharing travel schedules now?

Oct 25: Amsterdam - Seattle (on Delta - alas, but at least it's a direct)

Oct 30: Seattle - Amsterdam (Delta again)

Nov 5: Amsterdam - Seattle (KLM to SFO, Delta to SEA)

Nov 11: Seattle - Amsterdam (Delta)

Dec 5: Amsterdam - Orlando (KLM to ATL, Delta to MCO)

Dec 11: Orlando - Amsterdam (Delta to ATL, KLM to AMS)

... and after that, it's time to get lots of sleep and to start counting my airmiles. 😉

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (10/10/2016)

GilaMonster (10/10/2016)

Ah, why not.

I get to Seattle Sunday 23rd Oct (via London)

Monday afternoon: Jason's Freecon (monday morning = sleeping in)

Tuesday probably Pass UG and/Or SQLSaturday meetings, though my UG leader is going this time

Friday evening is booked, but the other evenings are free at the moment

Fly back Monday 31st Oct (flights out on the Sunday to Joburg were ridiculously expensive)

Rodney, are you interested in meeting up for dinner or something on the Saturday after Pass? I plan to make a tour of bookshops that day

Oh, we'e sharing travel schedules now?

Oct 25: Amsterdam - Seattle (on Delta - alas, but at least it's a direct)

Oct 30: Seattle - Amsterdam (Delta again)

Nov 5: Amsterdam - Seattle (KLM to SFO, Delta to SEA)

Nov 11: Seattle - Amsterdam (Delta)

Dec 5: Amsterdam - Orlando (KLM to ATL, Delta to MCO)

Dec 11: Orlando - Amsterdam (Delta to ATL, KLM to AMS)

... and after that, it's time to get lots of sleep and to start counting my airmiles. 😉

Hugo, are you heading west (over the Atlantic) or east (over the Pacific) on your Amsterdam to Seattle leg?

Curious minds want to know.

• Brandie Tarvin (10/10/2016)

Hugo, are you heading west (over the Atlantic) or east (over the Pacific) on your Amsterdam to Seattle leg?

North. The flight goes over Greenland and Canada. Doesn't technically cross the Atlantic at all

East would be an incredibly long way round. All the way across Europe, the Middle East, India (or the Indian Ocean) and the Far East (or Australia) and then the entire way across the Pacific. Probably a good 20 hours of flying at least going that way, plus, I would guess, two or three layovers (Dubai and/or Singapore and Hawaii perhaps, Singapore and Sydney might also work, though that veers a fair way South), vs the 10 hours and direct that going North (well, North North East more like) is.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

When there are extra columns within the database, the system will perform poorly.

Ummm. Hrrrr. So how do I remove those pesky extra columns from the database? Given the phrasing, I assume these are rogue columns without a table. Does anyone have a magic lasso with which to round up rogue columns?

You just need to create a table called Corral and those rogue columns will migrate there. Then next time you need to add a column to a table you can use one of these, being careful to make sure they have been tamed first, of course. If you have patience you can even train these rogue columns to have an index!

Grant Fritchey (10/10/2016)

This was an... interesting? ... read. Weird location. I've never heard of this person. I think this is their only SQL writing. It's just odd.

I wonder if this person understands how SANs work at all. I've known places where it doesn't matter how many logical drives you have, they're all on the same section of SAN, so are still using the same exact resource. Which would make separating them out kind of useless.

I think they just borrowed these tips from somewhere and don't really understand them. For instance, they recommend filtering data, but give as an example changing 'New York City' to 'New York'. :blink:

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

What Gail says. Even as far North as Iceland - usually over or just south of it

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Here is a question I have been asked. I posted in a SQL Server 2008 forum as we are currently running SQL Server 2008 R2. We may move to SQL Server 2012, so this question also applies there but I am not double posting the question.

• drew.allen (10/10/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (10/10/2016)

Grant Fritchey (10/10/2016)

I think they just borrowed these tips from somewhere and don't really understand them. For instance, they recommend filtering data, but give as an example changing 'New York City' to 'New York'. :blink:

Drew

If you click on the links buried within the article, you see where the concepts for the article came from and how they were badly paraphrased, especially for #10. Of course, you look at the articles in those links, there are some pretty bad misconceptions, as well.

It's articles like that and those that were linked to that make me feel really bad for any newbies trying to teach themselves something.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Grant Fritchey (10/10/2016)

I wish there were a way to "pile on". Authors like that need to be told how badly they've paraphrased and how bad the articles they've sited really are. From what I can see, none of the articles takes any feedback and they're all pretty bad.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Articles like that is why people come here rather than Googling the answer. It's extremely vague and people think they apply to all situations. The SAN example is a great one where I actually had an argument with a junior level person did not understand why it didn't matter, yet still placed database files in separate directories on the same LUN.

• GilaMonster (10/10/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (10/10/2016)

North. The flight goes over Greenland and Canada. Doesn't technically cross the Atlantic at all

East would be an incredibly long way round. All the way across Europe, the Middle East, India (or the Indian Ocean) and the Far East (or Australia) and then the entire way across the Pacific. Probably a good 20 hours of flying at least going that way, plus, I would guess, two or three layovers (Dubai and/or Singapore and Hawaii perhaps, Singapore and Sydney might also work, though that veers a fair way South), vs the 10 hours and direct that going North (well, North North East more like) is.

"The long way round" was why I asked. East and West just didn't compute for a direct flight and for some reason, North never occurred to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 56,161 through 56,175 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply