Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (6/13/2009)

In all honesty, I couldn't care less. That type of attitude and replies makes me want to walk away and stop posting. It's like someone asking you for directions and then slapping you in the face after getting said directions.

You just mean, stop responding to that critter right? You're absolutely one of the most informative and helpful people on here. I'm learning from your posts and so are tons of others. Don't let won't total jerk get you down.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/14/2009)

GilaMonster (6/13/2009)

In all honesty, I couldn't care less. That type of attitude and replies makes me want to walk away and stop posting. It's like someone asking you for directions and then slapping you in the face after getting said directions.

You just mean, stop responding to that critter right?

Encountering that kinda attitude either in posts, PMs or emails makes me stop and ask myself why the hell I'm doing the forum thing in the first place.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have removed the account of our (un)professional1 friend from the system and deleted threads. Apologies to those of you that had to deal with him/her. It was a bogus hotmail address.

Some people.

That type of attitude is exactly why I worry about personalities when I interview. I put technical skills way below dealing with someone that can't properly communicate, or is unwilling to work with others.

• GilaMonster (6/14/2009)

Encountering that kinda attitude either in posts, PMs or emails makes me stop and ask myself why the hell I'm doing the forum thing in the first place.

Gail, I understand why you would get this attitude. But, let me tell you, that you have always been there to give sound, professional, and accurate information for many issues that I have brought up. I know on one occasion where you even went to an email correspondence with a co-worker of mine to help us figure out a situation that we were having.

Your "forum thing" is making a profound difference in the lives of many DBAs here. I'm just one of them.

In my quest for more knowledge about SQL things, there are a few people on this site that I make an effort to look up their posts to see what they are saying - because they are always full of good, valuable information. You are one of these.

I know it's not easy when you encounter these people. Just remember that there are people like me that, well, NEED you to stay around.

So, I want to thank you for all that you have done... for my education, for helping out my coworkers, and for helping out so many others here.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/14/2009)

I have removed the account of our (un)professional1 friend from the system and deleted threads. Apologies to those of you that had to deal with him/her. It was a bogus hotmail address.

Some people.

That type of attitude is exactly why I worry about personalities when I interview. I put technical skills way below dealing with someone that can't properly communicate, or is unwilling to work with others.

Heh... just a troll passing by. Seems like there's one doozy every 3 months or so. You can't watch everything. The bad part is that some of the good folks take it so hard but that's all a part of dealing with the public. It's why I never got into the retail business. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

I'd answer that there are many, many more of us that appreciate you than the two or three ************** jerks that come round once in a while.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

GilaMonster (6/14/2009)

I'd answer that there are many, many more of us that appreciate you than the two or three ************** jerks that come round once in a while.

Yeah, I know.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Jeff Moden (6/12/2009)

I just saw the PASS session list. Congrats Gail and Grant!!!

Congrats to Gail and thanks.

I've got a spotlight and an alternate in the regular sessions.

You submitted 3 in total? Which one's alternate and which one did they say no thanks to?

Gail Shaw

Heh... you've brought some memories back for me. I've been through that particular doubt several times. Ask Steve... I even left SSC way back when even a couple of the supposed "good guys" started acting like real twips. It was a real bummer for me because it caused me to break a personal vow that I'd try to help folks because I had no one to help me when I first started. I went into the ol' "heal yourselves 'cause I don't need the flack" mode for about 6 months. The thing that brought me back was, through a bit of lurking, I saw that there were good people like yourself that would occasionally take a major "hit" and still go on helping others. I realized that being a prolific poster meant that the occasional jerk would bubble to the surface and that I wasn't the only one offended by such animals.

We've seen some real doozies lately... Remember the "MVP" that thought he was the greatest thing since sliced-bread about 3 months ago? He did about the same thing as this latest dog pile did and it might even be the same moroff (didn't qualify as a moron because he was more off than on :-P). Granny used to always say, "If it doesn't kill you, it'll make you stronger". She was right... I've run into many arrogant, inconsiderate, know-it-alls in real life and dealing with and watching others deal with such trash that occasionally appears on this (and any) forum has made it so much easier to deal with the ones in real life.

There's a nearly perfect mix of great people on this forum. Lutz described it perfectly. Losing any one of them would be like removing a diamond from a necklace. It would still be a beautiful thing, but it would be a conspicuous and painful loss.

Here's to all of the folks that weather the occasional storm and help shine the brass on the sunny days. I'm proud to be on the same ship as the team mate known as the "Gila Monster". You epitomize the very spirit of what the MVP award is all about.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

"Regular Sessions"? Are you talking about "general" sessions? I've not received anything one way or the other yet. If you know of a site different than the the summit site where this information is contained, I'd sure like to know what it is.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/14/2009)

I have removed the account of our (un)professional1 friend from the system and deleted threads. Apologies to those of you that had to deal with him/her.

Thank you.

Btw: There's no reason whatsoever for you to apology! You didn't do anything wrong nor did you miss anything you should have done.

It's one of the responsibilities of this community to let you know if administrative action might be considered. And, as soon as it has been brought to your attention, you took immediate action. What else to ask for?

From my side, I'm going to close that chapter and try to forget it.

On the other side there is one thing that guy was good for: he reminded me of the value of all of you folks here at SSC and that your effort and professionalism is something special and valuable.

Edit: typo fixed.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Jeff Moden (6/14/2009)

I even left SSC way back when even a couple of the supposed "good guys" started acting like real twips. It was a real bummer for me because it caused me to break a personal vow that I'd try to help folks because I had no one to help me when I first started. I went into the ol' "heal yourselves 'cause I don't need the flack" mode for about 6 months.

Think I remember that, or at least the end of it.

We've seen some real doozies lately... Remember the "MVP" that thought he was the greatest thing since sliced-bread about 3 months ago? He did about the same thing as this latest dog pile did and it might even be the same moroff

All too well. I don't think it's the same person. Different flavour of arrogance.

I'd argue that the 'MVP' was worse. He at least should know better. If I imagine that yesterday's twat is relatively new in IT and still young enough to believe that he's $Deity's gift to IT, the outburst becomes a little more understandable. Not forgivable, just understandable.

There was also the fairly nasty email that I got a few weeks back though, I must admit, I got an apology several days later.

I'm proud to be on the same ship as the team mate known as the "Gila Monster". You epitomize the very spirit of what the MVP award is all about.

Thanks Jeff.

Gail Shaw

• Jeff Moden (6/14/2009)"Regular Sessions"? Are you talking about "general" sessions?

Would assume so. The spotlights were picked weeks back. General sessions are the only ones remaining.

I've not received anything one way or the other yet. If you know of a site different than the the summit site where this information is contained, I'd sure like to know what it is.

Doubt it'll be on the website for a couple weeks. Notifications are by mail, regardless of whether they accept or deline the session. Plus, if they accept, there's a form that needs to be filled in, signed and sent back. That's also emailed.

Maybe log in to the site and double check the email that you gave them. If you haven't heard anything in a couple days, maybe drop them a mail and ask.

I got mailed very early yesterday morning. Grant seems to have his results, Brent Ozar's already blogged about his accepted submissions.

Gail Shaw

Jeff Moden (6/12/2009)

I just saw the PASS session list. Congrats Gail and Grant!!!

Congrats to Gail and thanks.

It should be a really good Summit.

Got my notice: I was picked for an alternate. There is also a Panel session I was asked to join in that's still up in the air.

This kind of puts me in a dilemma because I am not sure if I can swing going this year again. If I was a definite for a regular session, then I am pretty sure that I could make the case, but being an alternate kind of puts me in a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

...Probably it's like a place I used to work at where the manager was a bit like that, though no where near as bad. We had so many resignations that there was a running joke that the company should buy shares in the nearby pizza place as we always got pizzas for farewell parties. There were usually 2-3 such parties a month with often more than one person leaving.

I went back 3 months after I'd resigned to get some paperwork from HR, and I visited the IT floor to chat to former colleagues. I did not recognise a single person there.

Heh, been there. I just took it as a sure sign that I had left at the right time. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 5,626 through 5,640 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply