Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/13/2009)

Congrats Grant and Gail as well!

I'm an alternate, fine by me. Jeff, any word for you?

Didn't see my name on the list. Looks like some guy by the name of "Itzik" probably beat me out on the database tract. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• The list's just the spotlight sessions, those were invitation only. If you submitted a general session you should have got an email last night (assuming they weren't sending in batches) with the status. Check your spam folder. General sessions probably won't be on the site for a couple more weeks.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/13/2009)

The list's just the spotlight sessions, those were invitation only. If you submitted a general session you should have got an email last night (assuming they weren't sending in batches) with the status. Check your spam folder. General sessions probably won't be on the site for a couple more weeks.

Heh... I thought the list of sessions looked a bit short. Thanks for the tip, Gail.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Nope... nothing in the spam folder. I wish they'd have done this all before the early bird specials expired.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• You should get a mail regardless or whether they've accepted your session or not. PASS doesn't just ignore those session that they didn't want. Mail I got was from Elena Sebastiano. If you haven't heard anything in a few days, mail them and ask. It may be that they're sending out the mails in a couple of batches.

Don't worry about early bird. Provided you get renewed next month, there'll be a discount code for MVPs. Not 100% off, but it's a good discount usually. It was made available fairly late last year, Sept iirc.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I haven't gotten anything yet either.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• In all honesty, I couldn't care less. That type of attitude and replies makes me want to walk away and stop posting. It's like someone asking you for directions and then slapping you in the face after getting said directions.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster ..... Gail Shaw

That type of attitude and replies makes me want to walk away and stop posting.

Please don't stop posting you have helped not only myself but hundreds of others who may have not been polite enough to say thank you ... but nevertheless better at doing what they have to do because of your efforts ... to those who have not said so, let me say Thank you for them.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket (6/13/2009)

GilaMonster ..... Gail Shaw

That type of attitude and replies makes me want to walk away and stop posting.

Please don't stop posting you have helped not only myself but hundreds of others who may have not been polite enough to say thank you ... but nevertheless better at doing what they have to do because of your efforts ... to those who have not said so, let me say Thank you for them.

I have to come out in full agreement with bitbucket. Many of us have learned quite a bit from you Gail. Don't let a few bad apples keep you from helping the 100's (or 1000's) of others that you help every day.

• Now, for the other side of the coin. It is unfortunate that he was also unwilling to accept what I thought was well worded constructive criticism from myself and Lutz. Obviously, once he decided that this site was not to his expectations there was nothing that could be said to change his mind.

From this short interaction, I must say I hope he isn't like this at work. If he interacts with coworkers the same way he did here, it doesn't seem like it would be a very nice place to work. It wouod be like walking on egg shells.

• @Gail

I really hope you didn't really mean this! You are a huge part of this site, I learned many things from you.

@All

At my first post I just saw the thread "cancel account" - in completely wrong forum. I followed his profile to find his other posts to understand but just saw that everything was removed. I saw your names an thought "take a post-it and put it at The Thread to ensure those guys and gals notice".

Since I answered to his question I got all the mails of the following discussion this morning... I'm really not sure if this guy/gal is grown or a child. I saw people like this on other sites but they all have been kids (sullen and huffy).

• regarding our friend "Professional1" aka "forumloser" aka "dxmer":

I reported the individual to Steve asking for clarification.

The report is not about the way he's ignoring any replies or his attitude.

It's about the frequent and obvious change of nicknames together with deleting previous posts. He also might have insulted other posters.

The attitude issue can very well be handled by the community I think. He got some advice and if he's unwilling to take it, he will be ignored in the future and posters get warned if he shows up again (under the same nickname).

But violating posting etiquette is a different story and may require administrative action. Especially if the fellow asked for it.

@Gail

I hope your comment was limited to the poster and not the forum in general!

If you'd leave it would be like removing a diamond from a necklace!

Edit: Wording changed.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (6/13/2009)

From this short interaction, I must say I hope he isn't like this at work. If he interacts with coworkers the same way he did here, it doesn't seem like it would be a very nice place to work. It wouod be like walking on egg shells.

Probably it's like a place I used to work at where the manager was a bit like that, though no where near as bad. We had so many resignations that there was a running joke that the company should buy shares in the nearby pizza place as we always got pizzas for farewell parties. There were usually 2-3 such parties a month with often more than one person leaving.

I went back 3 months after I'd resigned to get some paperwork from HR, and I visited the IT floor to chat to former colleagues. I did not recognise a single person there.

Gail Shaw

• Jeff Moden (6/12/2009)

I just saw the PASS session list. Congrats Gail and Grant!!!

Congrats to Gail and thanks.

I've got a spotlight and an alternate in the regular sessions.

It should be a really good Summit.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 5,611 through 5,625 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply