Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (1/11/2017)

rodjkidd (1/11/2017)

Also I will certainly give a lot more notice next time.

Or you could, I dunno, use more instantaneous communication, like billboards and construction street signs.

<duck>

I was thinking a public information broadcast on the BBC or on the sides of buses 😉

Rodders...

• I bet loads of people at the bottom of the list will miss out as a result.

• BLOB EATER (1/11/2017)

GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

I really would like to attend Bits this year (hint, hint)

you have my vote!

So someone tell me who those "Steve Jones" and "Grant Fritchey" characters are and why they think they know enough about SQL Server to actually present stuff.

:hehe:

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• rodjkidd (1/11/2017)

BLOB EATER (1/11/2017)

rodjkidd (1/11/2017)

The SQLBits public session voting is open. A few familiar Threadizen names on there.

Just a pity you can only pick 10 🙁

So if you haven't done so yet - lets see those fingers - and let the voting begin!

http://www.sqlbits.com/information/publicsessions

Rodders...

I have voted - when you get to 10/10 selections is there meant to be a submit button??

No, I don't think so. It means you have picked. Odd interface that. So I don't think you change your mind!

If you close it and log in again... You will see you have 10 / 10 picks!

Cheers,

Rodders...

If you react fast enough, you can unpick one that you accidentally picked. I just did that. Clicked on the wrong line. But you have to work fast.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

rodjkidd (1/11/2017)

BLOB EATER (1/11/2017)

rodjkidd (1/11/2017)

The SQLBits public session voting is open. A few familiar Threadizen names on there.

Just a pity you can only pick 10 🙁

So if you haven't done so yet - lets see those fingers - and let the voting begin!

http://www.sqlbits.com/information/publicsessions

Rodders...

I have voted - when you get to 10/10 selections is there meant to be a submit button??

No, I don't think so. It means you have picked. Odd interface that. So I don't think you change your mind!

If you close it and log in again... You will see you have 10 / 10 picks!

Cheers,

Rodders...

If you react fast enough, you can unpick one that you accidentally picked. I just did that. Clicked on the wrong line. But you have to work fast.

When I changed my mind it appeared to auto-submit a second time. I de-selected one then selected the one I wanted and when the count reached ten, I got the 'thank you for voting for 10 sessions' box again. The one I'd changed my mind to was still showing as saved.

Edited: quote bug.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

Brandie Tarvin (1/10/2017)

BrainDonor (1/10/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

My normal 30 minute drive to work took an hour, the roads were crap and slick, and I've got a little rear-wheel drive sporty car.

Winter tyres. My wife has a rear-wheel drive sporty car and it was terrifying in the winter. Then somebody suggested winter tyres and it is wonderful. They don't have to be expensive - mid-range tyres are quite a good price.

Subaru (AWD) + all-weather tires. Excellent combination. Keeps the car going through ANYTHING.

Oh come on, if I recall you're in Florida, what "anything" do you have to go through?

Maybe the occasional alligator in the road, but that's better called a "speed bump."

:-D:-P;-)

I mean really, how bad can the roads get in a hurricane, it's just water on the roads?

😉

I come from the Midwest where "winter" IN ('ice storms', 'snow storms', 'sleet', 'frozen slush'). My very first Subaru (back in the 80s) had to drive through a blizzard. My mom was taking my dad to the emergency room. 3' - 4' of snow on the roads, and that little Subaru was STILL moving until they hit an intersection crowded with stalled and stranded cars. They had to stop because there was no way around. At which point, snow got under the hood, chilled the engine and stalled the car.

Up until that point, though? The little car that could. I have barely looked at another brand since.

RE: your "water on the roads" comment... HIPPO, ATTACK! @=)

Jason, I heard on the radio that there were a lot of people stuck in traffic for 2 extra hours yesterday morning. The problem was that nobody was out early plowing the roads. A bunch of school didn't cancel because they thought the roads would be cleared by the time school started, but nobody bothers to start until later. Of course, the county had a spokesperson on the radio making excuses.

A lot of people had a rough day yesterday.

• Ed Wagner (1/11/2017)

Brandie Tarvin (1/11/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

BrainDonor (1/10/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

My normal 30 minute drive to work took an hour, the roads were crap and slick, and I've got a little rear-wheel drive sporty car.

Winter tyres. My wife has a rear-wheel drive sporty car and it was terrifying in the winter. Then somebody suggested winter tyres and it is wonderful. They don't have to be expensive - mid-range tyres are quite a good price.

Subaru (AWD) + all-weather tires. Excellent combination. Keeps the car going through ANYTHING.

Oh come on, if I recall you're in Florida, what "anything" do you have to go through?

Maybe the occasional alligator in the road, but that's better called a "speed bump."

I mean really, how bad can the roads get in a hurricane, it's just water on the roads?

😉

I come from the Midwest where "winter" IN ('ice storms', 'snow storms', 'sleet', 'frozen slush'). My very first Subaru (back in the 80s) had to drive through a blizzard. My mom was taking my dad to the emergency room. 3' - 4' of snow on the roads, and that little Subaru was STILL moving until they hit an intersection crowded with stalled and stranded cars. They had to stop because there was no way around. At which point, snow got under the hood, chilled the engine and stalled the car.

Up until that point, though? The little car that could. I have barely looked at another brand since.

Jason, I heard on the radio that there were a lot of people stuck in traffic for 2 extra hours yesterday morning. The problem was that nobody was out early plowing the roads. A bunch of school didn't cancel because they thought the roads would be cleared by the time school started, but nobody bothers to start until later. Of course, the county had a spokesperson on the radio making excuses.

Yesterday the news was doom and gloom for commute to work. Had no problems. Today the news was saying a little black ice. The road was a sheet of ice from start to finish. Co-workers tell me it is getting better but I had an interesting drive.

• GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

DITTO!

(nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

BLOB EATER (1/11/2017)

GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

you have my vote!

So someone tell me who those "Steve Jones" and "Grant Fritchey" characters are and why they think they know enough about SQL Server to actually present stuff.

I don't know about that Jones guy, but that Fritchey kid is a total wanker. Makes lots of noise. Waves his arms about. Overly American.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I had a brainstorm yesterday. I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to try and get some coding basics sessions together for the local SQL Saturdays, strictly for the kids. Give the younger set some time to learn basics.

I mean, get 'em while they're young and you have a chance to keep girls in STEM, right?

I had a brainstorm yesterday. I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to try and get some coding basics sessions together for the local SQL Saturdays, strictly for the kids. Give the younger set some time to learn basics.

I mean, get 'em while they're young and you have a chance to keep girls in STEM, right?

Basics and intro sessions are almost always well attended and they're very useful. We constantly have new people joining the profession.

• Grant Fritchey (1/11/2017)

BLOB EATER (1/11/2017)

GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

you have my vote!

I don't know about that Jones guy, but that Fritchey kid is a total wanker. Makes lots of noise. Waves his arms about. Overly American.

I think Makes lots of noise. Waves his arms about. Overly American is a bit harsh 😛 :w00t:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Ed Wagner (1/11/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

BrainDonor (1/10/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

😉

Chatting with some of the people at work yesterday, we were wondering if the road commission had figured to save a couple bucks by not plowing, seeing as it was only going to be a couple inches...

• BWFC (1/11/2017)

Michael L John (1/10/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

Luis Cazares (1/10/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

BrainDonor (1/10/2017)

jasona.work (1/10/2017)

😉

It's actually really hard to drive when your car is floating or flying. Absolutely no traction there.

Bah, if your car is floating, that's when you use your snowbrush as a paddle and keep going.

If it's flying, well, then I want one, we were promised flying cars by the Jetsons' and I want my flying car dang it!

And this: Moller M400 Skycar doesn't count! It was only ever a prototype.

Subaru Outback. 4 winter tires. I climb walls.

I suggested a nice spacious AWD Subaru saloon to Mrs BWFC. She had other ideas.

I could probably talk the wife into letting me get one of those, use that as my winter driver and save my Subaru for the summers...

Considering I've got the *only* Subaru that is not available with AWD in any configuration nor does it have a turbo in any configuration...

Of course, some people might call this a Toyota more than a Subaru...

BLOB EATER (1/11/2017)

GilaMonster (1/11/2017)

you have my vote!

If we told you, we'd have to ....

Viewing 15 posts - 57,091 through 57,105 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply