Are the posted questions getting worse?

• drew.allen - Friday, May 5, 2017 3:57 PM

Had an interview this morning that went so well, they decided to skip the in-person interview and just offered me the job.  πŸ˜€

Drew

Congratulations, Drew.  I don't have the exact dates, but that didn't take to long, did it?  Well done.
    Have you decided if you're going to accept the offer?

• Chad Crawford - Friday, May 5, 2017 12:56 PM

ThomasRushton - Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:23 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:16 AM

As a wise man once said, "Half of all that is written [there -JBM] is wrong and the other half is written in such a fashion as you can't tell if it's right or wrong". πŸ˜‰

See also: Sturgeon's Law - "90% of everything is crap."

So.... what does that mean about the probability that Sturgeon's Law is wrong too? :Whistling:
    I'm just having fun, no real commentary was intended.

Reminds me of the ultimate paradox question on the planet that had human looking androids and Kirk fried "Norman's" brain (the lead 'droid) by saying that every thing Kirk said was a lie and then stated "I'm lying".  Poink!  Game over!  Felt sorry for Mudd, though.  I can still hear the 'droids that were made in the image of his over demanding wife, Stella... "Harcourt Fenton Mudd!"... yadda, yadda, yadda.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Had an interview this morning that went so well, they decided to skip the in-person interview and just offered me the job.  πŸ˜€

I can't say that I'm surprised at all.  Congratulations!

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• jonathan.crawford - Friday, May 5, 2017 7:41 AM

question that I'd appreciate everyone's input on, but particularly Mr. Moden's, since it's his fault, having given me the standards document in the first place...
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1874681/DropCreate-objects-versus-Alter

Heh... noted, appreciated, and humbled by the mention.  I've added my entry to that post.

You should see my SDLC standards for who, how, and when code may be provided, who can reject code, who can over ride either a reject or accept and when, and what the deployment process entails.  We follow it to a "T".  It's a bit tedious in that each object requires a script and the script must be wrapped in a deployment wrapper and we don't use things like RedGate during the promotion process (except to do a comparison between PreProd [an identical copy of production that we can refresh in less than 10 minutes] and Prod to check for regression code (the revision history in the headers I spoke of in the write up on the link above play an important part there, as well).

Between the coding standards for content, methodology, and readability, peer reviews, deployment methodology, and a couple of other things, we've gone from a 10-20% "AW, WTF!?" mode on deployments (even after QA and UAT and was as much as 60% at a previous company) to "Success first time every time" mode.

And, no... there's nothing automatic about it.  We've found that quality usually isn't automatic.  It takes a bit of extra work to get it right every time but it's well worth the savings in rework and projects that were delayed because of the rework.  The sign I wrote on the top of my marker board says "Just because you want it real bad, doesn't mean we're going to give it to you that way". πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Drew

Congratulations πŸ™‚

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Anyone up for guesswork πŸ˜‰
    😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, May 7, 2017 7:19 AM

Anyone up for guesswork πŸ˜‰
    😎

You must be short on plans today to take that one on!

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, May 7, 2017 7:19 AM

😎

Had a look at that one earlier, but it became more fuzzy each time I went through it. The id numbering seems to make little sense, and I have no idea where name "op" comes from in their final dataset. I gave up after about 20 minutes. πŸ˜›

I have no idea why they need to increase they resultset rows by 250% (rounding up?) by day, an odd requirement to say the least.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Phil Parkin - Sunday, May 7, 2017 7:50 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, May 7, 2017 7:19 AM

😎

You must be short on plans today to take that one on!

Nah, just a little break whilst upgrading my linux servers
    😎

BTW, vNext did survive the version upgradeπŸ™‚

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft SQL Server vNext (CTP2.0) - 14.0.500.272 (X64)
        Apr 13 2017 11:44:40
        Copyright (C) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
        Developer Edition (64-bit) on Linux (Ubuntu 17.04)

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, May 7, 2017 8:39 AM

BTW, vNext did survive the version upgradeπŸ™‚

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft SQL Server vNext (CTP2.0) - 14.0.500.272 (X64)
        Apr 13 2017 11:44:40
        Copyright (C) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
        Developer Edition (64-bit) on Linux (Ubuntu 17.04)

That's a good sign! I would have actually expected it to break,considering that before creators Bash on Ubuntu on Windows refused to upgrade to 16.04 (and if you did it did have some "unique" features. :)) Not such. a fan of upgrading to the non-LTS versions of Ubuntu though. Unsure, yet if I'll miss Unity when 18.01 comes around though. :unsure:

Thom~

Larnu.uk

Drew

Top work Drew!

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Hey Redgate people - whoever wrote 'Smart Rename', you have my permission to pay them their weight in gold.

Saved me eons of grief. Or at least made space for some other sort of grief to fill.

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

Drew

YAY! Good for you.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• BrainDonor - Monday, May 8, 2017 2:36 AM

Hey Redgate people - whoever wrote 'Smart Rename', you have my permission to pay them their weight in gold.

Saved me eons of grief. Or at least made space for some other sort of grief to fill.

Passed it on to the development team. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hey, now. Who decided RedGate people could get praised on a RedGate board?

@=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 58,471 through 58,485 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply