Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Tom_Hogan - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:53 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:47 AM

Sorta technical question that is more of the curious variety.

When you have to set up an automated email from a SQL server job to either a business unit customer or to an internal IT customer, how do you phrase the automated email part?

We've adopted a cute-yet-weird little standard based on something one of our server guys started setting up. "This is an automated email. You will be disappointed if you reply." We then go on to list the proper response email address (and what group is watching that box / email list) if they have any question. It's not terribly professional, but it is different than what I've seen most companies send out.

What about you?

We use "Please do not reply to this email address as it is not monitored.  For assistance please contact the Help Desk."  We also use "no-reply@company.com" as the FROM address.

Heh - we use the no-reply as the user in the email address.  People reply to it anyway, then call several days later to check on the progress of their email. :crazy:

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:12 AM

Tom_Hogan - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:53 AM

When you have to set up an automated email from a SQL server job to either a business unit customer or to an internal IT customer, how do you phrase the automated email part?

We've adopted a cute-yet-weird little standard based on something one of our server guys started setting up. "This is an automated email. You will be disappointed if you reply." We then go on to list the proper response email address (and what group is watching that box / email list) if they have any question. It's not terribly professional, but it is different than what I've seen most companies send out.

What about you?

We use "Please do not reply to this email address as it is not monitored.  For assistance please contact the Help Desk."  We also use "no-reply@company.com" as the FROM address.

Heh - we use the no-reply as the user in the email address.  People reply to it anyway, then call several days later to check on the progress of their email. :crazy:

I have don that as well.  Those emails have a disclaimer saying not to reply to the email.  If the users fail to read that and reply it is their fault nothing happens.

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:05 PM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:12 AM

What about you?

I have don that as well.  Those emails have a disclaimer saying not to reply to the email.  If the users fail to read that and reply it is their fault nothing happens.

That's really the only attitude I can take when the phone rings.  People can't read the address and they can't read the "Don't reply to this email" in the body.  It makes me wonder sometimes, but it is what it is.

• Email server's down, I sent you an email about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:09 PM

Email server's down, I sent you an email about it.

I actually once had someone tell me to send the Help Desk an email about my email being down. The co-worker wasn't quite awake that early in the morning and it took him several minutes to understand why I wouldn't do what he was advising.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:25 AM

jonathan.crawford - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:09 PM

I actually once had someone tell me to send the Help Desk an email about my email being down. The co-worker wasn't quite awake that early in the morning and it took him several minutes to understand why I wouldn't do what he was advising.

Back when I ran (among other things) a support desk, we used to send emails during outages, so that we could see when the server (finally) came back online and had caught up...  But they were strictly within the support team.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:25 AM

jonathan.crawford - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:09 PM

It has happened to me that I send a request to reset my corporate email password and they send the temporary password to my email, which I no longer have access because the password was effectively reset. :crazy:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:12 AM

What about you?

I've worked where they actually set up a mail box to monitor the do not reply emails, shockingly people who reply to an email address that says do not reply often also have very poorly thought out highly amusing emails 😛

• ZZartin - Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:11 AM

I've worked where they actually set up a mail box to monitor the do not reply emails, shockingly people who reply to an email address that says do not reply often also have very poorly thought out highly amusing emails 😛

I'm not sure that they even need to send it to a no reply address to send a email that wasn't thought out. Got an email this morning, where someone had forwarded me a copy of a SQL report, and their email which read "Hi Thom, I haven't had this report for today, Could you have a look into this urgently please."

I looked at the copy of the report they'd forwarded me, which showed "Sent: 18 May 2017 05:01". Looked at the bottom right of my screen (in case I was going crazy): "09:21 Thursday 18/05/2017". Palm meets face meets desk.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• GAH. Why is there always ONE?

One person who "thoughtfully" hits REPLY ALL to an outage alert email, starting the trend of other people asking questions to the whole chain, which leads to the first person saying "Please don't hit REPLY ALL" which leads to the smart-a$$ replying all which leads to sheer stupidity and an avalanche of emails?

This just happened (is happening) at my workplace. I finally had to click ignore. Fortunately someone on the team who sent out the original email sent out an email with a separate subject and a BCC (preventing another go-around with the replies) saying "issue resolved".

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Anyone else ever do this?
    https://www.sqlshack.com/how-to-spoof-production-environment-resources-for-performance-tuning/#.WRr9Do_GEfw.linkedin

Looks rather interesting...

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John - Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:48 PM

I've not heard of it before.  Considering that estimates can be totally the opposite of what really happens, it seems like a lot of work to go through to get an estimate.  Still, it seems to me to possibly be worth a try or two and I'm going to test it against some known queries and see what happens.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• ZZartin - Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:11 AM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:12 AM

What about you?

If I had a great deal of spare time, those might be interesting to read.  Unfortunately, I don't, so I have nothing to worry about.

• Michael L John - Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:48 PM

Yeah. It can be very useful. I don't do tons with it, but when you need to emulate specific behaviors, it works nicely.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Who's going to SQL Saturday Manchester?

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

Viewing 15 posts - 58,606 through 58,620 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply