Are the posted questions getting worse?

• BrainDonor - Friday, May 19, 2017 7:06 AM

Who's going to SQL Saturday Manchester?

I'll be there.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Neil Burton - Friday, May 19, 2017 7:19 AM

BrainDonor - Friday, May 19, 2017 7:06 AM

Who's going to SQL Saturday Manchester?

I'll be there.

Not sure, as I don't know yet what I doing in July work wise!
    I did think I already had something in the diary, but I'd got the date wrong for the SQL Sat. ha ha

Rodders...

• Who is going to SQLSaturday NYC?

I'm doing the keynote.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Is anyone else experiencing this? When I type into a post, as I'm doing now, When I hit enter to put a new line
    t moves my cursor so that you see what happens with the "I" being in the wrong spot I

urtherF

Further, when I fix it, for some reason the browser shows that first word as being misspelled.

I'm using Microsoft Edge. Just curious if it's just me or if others see it too?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey - Friday, May 19, 2017 7:49 AM

Is anyone else experiencing this? When I type into a post, as I'm doing now, When I hit enter to put a new line
    t moves my cursor so that you see what happens with the "I" being in the wrong spot I

urtherF

Further, when I fix it, for some reason the browser shows that first word as being misspelled.

I haven't seen that specifically, but there is still some weirdness in the post window.  The cursor trailing behind the typing location after deleting words has to be the most annoying.  Another thing is that after pasting, the cursor disappears as if the text box lost the focus.  I generally use Firefox, but have confirmed it happens in IE as well.  Now you've got me wanting to try Edge. 😉

Is anyone else experiencing this? When I type into a post, as I'm doing now, When I hit enter to put a new line

urtherF

I see this sometimes also. Has been doing it ever since the new release. Even more bizarre is that if you keep typing it will go backwards. :blink: I have seen this behavior in FF, Chrome and Edge.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Ed Wagner - Friday, May 19, 2017 8:02 AM

Grant Fritchey - Friday, May 19, 2017 7:49 AM

urtherF

I haven't seen that specifically, but there is still some weirdness in the post window.  The cursor trailing behind the typing location after deleting words has to be the most annoying.  Another thing is that after pasting, the cursor disappears as if the text box lost the focus.  I generally use Firefox, but have confirmed it happens in IE as well.  Now you've got me wanting to try Edge. 😉

I've seen the trailing cursor quite often. It's easily solved by pressing delete once. The pasting has so many problems, including the removal of spaces.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

urtherF

Similar in Firefox, just without the newline weirdness. Most times I edit a word I've already typed, I get the browser complaining about mis-spellings and 'fixes' it with exactly the same word. I wonder if there's unprintable characters getting embedded into words sometimes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • No NYC for me, but I'll be in LA if anyone's going to that SQL Sat.

• I suppose this is as good as a place to post as anything...

As of about 3:30 this afternoon (EDT), I am now unemployed.

Despite the blow, I'm actually in good spirits.  In fact, I actually feel somewhat liberated.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of anyone looking for someone with strong writing/communication experience, who happens to know a little about SQL and development, let me know.  I'm looking to remain in Albany, NY, but I am open to telecommuting positions...

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K - Friday, May 19, 2017 3:38 PM

I suppose this is as good as a place to post as anything...

Despite the blow, I'm actually in good spirits.  In fact, I actually feel somewhat liberated.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of anyone looking for someone with strong writing/communication experience, who happens to know a little about SQL and development, let me know.  I'm looking to remain in Albany, NY, but I am open to telecommuting positions...

Guh!  Man, sorry to hear about that but I also know what you mean by feeling "liberated".  Good luck in your search.  My recommendation would be to find a couple of good recruiters in the area and let them have a crack at it.  They hear about stuff that's simply never going to be posted on the job sites.  A good recruiter or two can work wonders for you.  You'll know them when you meet them.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Grant Fritchey - Friday, May 19, 2017 7:47 AM

Who is going to SQLSaturday NYC?

I'm doing the keynote.

Wow.  I'd like to see that.  Sorry I can't be there.  Knock 'em dead, Grant!

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• GilaMonster - Friday, May 19, 2017 8:45 AM

Grant Fritchey - Friday, May 19, 2017 7:49 AM

urtherF

Similar in Firefox, just without the newline weirdness. Most times I edit a word I've already typed, I get the browser complaining about mis-spellings and 'fixes' it with exactly the same word. I wonder if there's unprintable characters getting embedded into words sometimes.

I've seen the same thing with the misspelled words that are spelled correctly.  The unprintable characters is a great working theory.

• Ray K - Friday, May 19, 2017 3:38 PM

I suppose this is as good as a place to post as anything...

Sorry to hear, Ray. Hope you find something soon

• Shifting gears a bit and referring to the following post...
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1877279/BEFORE-TRIGGER-Idea-Posted-to-Microsoft-Connect
    I worked with Oracle for about 3 years.  In general, I have no love for it BUT it does have some things that I found incredibly useful that I'd like to see in SQL Server.  One of those things is "BEFORE Triggers", not to be confused with the current "INSTEAD OF Triggers" which, although are useful for certain things, I find to be a general pain in the britches for things that I end up resigning myself to using because there is no "BEFORE Trigger" construct.

The post has a link to the connect item on the subject.  MS is thinking about it but thinks the idea needs to be voted up to make a move.  I don't know why that one person that voted it down did because they didn't have the nads to post a comment as to why they voted it down but I've wished they had the capability for more than a decade.  Please help vote this one up.  Thanks.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 58,621 through 58,635 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply