Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Definitely have to make more, my seven dozen are almost gone.

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, March 19, 2018 3:39 PM

Ingredients:
    1 cup All Purpose flour (we used unbleached flour)
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 table spoons vanilla extract (she used dark Mexican vanilla)
    1/2 stick unsalted butter (4 table spoons)
    2 egg yolks

Method:
    1) preheat oven to 350 F
    2) sift the flour into a bowl and set aside
    3) in a large bowl combine the vanilla, baking powder, salt, and sugar by whisking
    4) add in the butter (melted) and whisk again until nice and smooth
    5) add the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each one
    6) dump the flour in and mix until just combined - make sure you have no dry spots left!

Baking:
    Using standard baking sheet(s), cover with parchment paper
    With a measuring tea spoon, scoop out one teaspoon flattened, roll the dough out of the spoon into a ball and place on the cookie sheet.
    We were able to put 42 cookies on one sheet without them merging together.
    The recipe said to cook for 12 to 15 minutes (iirc, not on the pics the ex provided of the recipe) but we cooked then for 18 minutes turning the cookie sheet 180 degrees after 9 minutes.

Note, the recipe above is the standard recipe, not the double double batch we did last night.
    Additional note, we are at about 6000 feet, so altitude my play a roll.
    Another note, again, let them sit for a while before consuming.

Man, it's been years (decades, actually) since I've done any baking at all.  Debbie usually does it and I'm happy to be her taste tester.  But that recipe just looks awesome and I'll give it a whirl this Saturday.  Heh... I also have to make sure I've got milk in the fridg because I'll, of course, need to taste test the heck out of them.  I love 'nilla wafers!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Monday, March 19, 2018 8:36 PM

Lynn Pettis - Monday, March 19, 2018 3:39 PM

Ingredients:
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 egg yolks

Method:
    1) preheat oven to 350 F
    3) in a large bowl combine the vanilla, baking powder, salt, and sugar by whisking
    6) dump the flour in and mix until just combined - make sure you have no dry spots left!

Baking:
    With a measuring tea spoon, scoop out one teaspoon flattened, roll the dough out of the spoon into a ball and place on the cookie sheet.
    The recipe said to cook for 12 to 15 minutes (iirc, not on the pics the ex provided of the recipe) but we cooked then for 18 minutes turning the cookie sheet 180 degrees after 9 minutes.

Note, the recipe above is the standard recipe, not the double double batch we did last night.

Man, it's been years (decades, actually) since I've done any baking at all.  Debbie usually does it and I'm happy to be her taste tester.  But that recipe just looks awesome and I'll give it a whirl this Saturday.  Heh... I also have to make sure I've got milk in the fridg because I'll, of course, need to taste test the heck out of them.  I love 'nilla wafers!

Have fun but be sure to let them sit for a while.  They actually test better the next day than straight from the oven.

My office went through 84 cookies today.

• Sean Lange - Monday, March 19, 2018 2:32 PM

Oh my...tried an experiment with making pork belly burnt ends this weekend. WOW!!!

Awesome.  Recipe?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, March 19, 2018 8:42 PM

Have fun but be sure to let them sit for a while.  They actually test better the next day than straight from the oven.

Just about all cookies taste better after a cure.  And tell your office they a bunch of rookies. πŸ˜€  Ol' SQL Santa can eat 84 'nilla wafers all by himself. <BURRRRPPPP!!!!> (Ummm... get any on ya?) :D:D

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Shifting gears a bit, man, it takes a long time for a post to complete tonight.  The couple I've made, so far, have taken over a minute. (This one just took 35 seconds).

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Monday, March 19, 2018 8:49 PM

Lynn Pettis - Monday, March 19, 2018 8:42 PM

Just about all cookies taste better after a cure.  And tell your office they a bunch of rookies. πŸ˜€  Ol' SQL Santa can eat 84 'nilla wafers all by himself. <BURRRRPPPP!!!!> (Ummm... get any on ya?) :D:D

I could have easily eaten all the cookies myself.  I chose to share them.

• Jeff Moden - Monday, March 19, 2018 8:51 PM

Shifting gears a bit, man, it takes a long time for a post to complete tonight.  The couple I've made, so far, have taken over a minute. (This one just took 35 seconds).

Yes, I noticed that but I haven't timed my posts.

• Sean Lange - Monday, March 19, 2018 2:32 PM

Oh my...tried an experiment with making pork belly burnt ends this weekend. WOW!!!

Looks amazing, Sean! Is this just slow roasted or is there some smokey magic going on too?

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, March 19, 2018 3:39 PM

Ingredients:
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 egg yolks

Method:
    1) preheat oven to 350 F

Baking:

I sure picked the wrong day to take the day off.  I'm glad I read the thread from where I left off or I would have missed the recipes.  Thank you, Lynn.  This will definitely be tried in my house.

• ChrisM@Work - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:47 AM

Sean Lange - Monday, March 19, 2018 2:32 PM

Looks amazing, Sean! Is this just slow roasted or is there some smokey magic going on too?

They look great, Sean.  It's pork belly, so it's probably great.  The only questions are in the details.

Chris nailed my first question.  Were they smoked or slow-roasted before being finished over high heat to add the char?
    Was the high heat on the grill or under the broiler?
    I know who I'm talking to, but I have to ask...do I see a sauce there? πŸ˜‰

• ChrisM@Work - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:47 AM

There is definitely some smokey magic happening. Here is how I made these.

Cut up a pork belly into ~1" cubes. Apply a liberal amount of dry rub to cover all the surfaces. Then on the smoker at 275 for about 2 1/2 hours. I used apple for this round but any fruit wood would work well.

Transfer the cubes to an aluminum pan.
    cover the cubes with:
    ~1/2 - 3/4 C brown sugar
    1 stick of butter chopped up
    drizzle with honey.
    Cover the pan and put back on the smoker for another 90 minutes.
    You will  want to drain off the liquid at this point.

In a separate bowl mix:
    1 C bbq sauce
    ~1/2 C apple juice
    ~ 1/2 C apple jelly
    ~1-2 T franks hot sauce
    Pour the glaze over the drained cubes, cover and put back on the smoker for another 10 minutes or so.
    The fat parts just melt in your mouth and the meaty parts are little sweet nuggets of jerky. Well worth the effort.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Ed Wagner - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:03 AM

They look great, Sean.  It's pork belly, so it's probably great.  The only questions are in the details.

Chris nailed my first question.  Were they smoked or slow-roasted before being finished over high heat to add the char?
    Was the high heat on the grill or under the broiler?
    I know who I'm talking to, but I have to ask...do I see a sauce there? πŸ˜‰

Heh not really a sauce, more of a glaze. And no high heat at any point. Just a little warmer than most days at the smoker.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:12 AM

ChrisM@Work - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:47 AM

Cut up a pork belly into ~1" cubes. Apply a liberal amount of dry rub to cover all the surfaces. Then on the smoker at 275 for about 2 1/2 hours. I used apple for this round but any fruit wood would work well.

cover the cubes with:
    ~1/2 - 3/4 C brown sugar
    drizzle with honey.

In a separate bowl mix:
    1 C bbq sauce
    ~1/2 C apple juice
    ~ 1/2 C apple jelly
    ~1-2 T franks hot sauce
    Pour the glaze over the drained cubes, cover and put back on the smoker for another 10 minutes or so.
    The fat parts just melt in your mouth and the meaty parts are little sweet nuggets of jerky. Well worth the effort.

Very nice, Sean.  Thanks for sharing the recipe and technique.  It's the brown sugar and honey at 275 that produces the char.  You won't get a deep bark from only 2 1/2 hours, but the sugar will work nicely.  I like the addition of just a hint of heat from the hot sauce, but not enough that it'll knock my daughter over just by looking at it.

Thanks again.  You've made me want to fire up mine.  It's still pretty new, so it doesn't have the years of seasoning inside, but it sure does look nice.

• Ed Wagner - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:42 AM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:12 AM

ChrisM@Work - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:47 AM

cover the cubes with:
    ~1/2 - 3/4 C brown sugar
    drizzle with honey.

In a separate bowl mix:
    1 C bbq sauce
    ~1/2 C apple juice
    ~ 1/2 C apple jelly
    ~1-2 T franks hot sauce

Very nice, Sean.  Thanks for sharing the recipe and technique.  It's the brown sugar and honey at 275 that produces the char.  You won't get a deep bark from only 2 1/2 hours, but the sugar will work nicely.  I like the addition of just a hint of heat from the hot sauce, but not enough that it'll knock my daughter over just by looking at it.

Thanks again.  You've made me want to fire up mine.  It's still pretty new, so it doesn't have the years of seasoning inside, but it sure does look nice.

I replaced my old one as it literally fell apart. The ring in the bottom to hold the burner fell on the ground. Amazingly when I put it at the curb somebody picked it up within a few minutes. Not sure what they would do with it since there is nowhere near enough material to weld it or anything.

As for spice level both my boys gobbled this stuff down (ages 9 and 12). And they both do not even pretend to like anything spicy. Let me know how this turns out for you if you try it.

Any suggestions for my next experiment?

Viewing 15 posts - 61,201 through 61,215 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply