Are the posted questions getting worse?

• How to have a fun and exciting day:
    1.  Your entire office network connections will be turned off at 7:30am (you start work at 7:00am)
    2.  Your team lead informs you that all of your production SQL Servers seem to be down (no alerts on your work phone about this)
    2.5.  You also find out that several other servers you're not responsible for and that aren't SQL were also down
    3.  You get all your production servers up and working again at 7:28am
    4.  You then try to after-action / what happened using a cellular / wifi device that is being shared with 4 other people
    5.  You figure out what apparently happened (and it wasn't anything you could've caught in advance,) with about 20 minutes to spare before the retirement ceremony for the division boss
    6.  Your team lead tells you to finish out the day teleworking as the office network is still down and isn't scheduled to be back up until 3:30pm
    7.  The office network came back up about the time you got home and hooked up to work...

Of course, the good news is that when you spot-checked some of the databases for corruption from the outage (storage disconnected from the VMWare) they came up clean.  You, of course, still scheduled a CHECKDB of all your databases for this evening...
    I would've preferred to run the checkdbs immediately, but some of the servers have databases big enough to take ~20hrs to run the regularly scheduled checkdb (Gianluca's dba_checkdb script)...

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:12 AM

You will  want to drain off the liquid at this point.

Ah.... haven't tried it but my imagination is going....Save the liquid.  Then, after its cool enough, put it in the fridg and wait for any fat to surface.  Skim off the hard fat and make some Barley soup with it the liquid that remains.  Either that or (yum) good gravy!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:03 PM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:12 AM

Ah.... haven't tried it but my imagination is going....Save the liquid.  Then, after its cool enough, put it in the fridg and wait for any fat to surface.  Skim off the hard fat and make some Barley soup with it the liquid that remains.  Either that or (yum) good gravy!

I certainly didn't say discard it. πŸ™‚ This is the guy who uses bacon fat instead of butter for many many things. I save the drippings from lots of stuff. I didn't save it this time as it was an experiment and I fear the liquid would be overly sweet with all the sugar in it. But definitely the fat on the top would at least make for some yummy oils. Think cooking eggs in this instead of butter. Or even on toast.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:41 PM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:03 PM

I certainly didn't say discard it. πŸ™‚ This is the guy who uses bacon fat instead of butter for many many things. I save the drippings from lots of stuff. I didn't save it this time as it was an experiment and I fear the liquid would be overly sweet with all the sugar in it. But definitely the fat on the top would at least make for some yummy oils. Think cooking eggs in this instead of butter. Or even on toast.

Oooooooo mannnn!!!!  I haven't had eggs cooked in such fat in a long time.  It also reminds me that I've not had biscuits and gravy in a couple of years.  Heh.... dammit.... now I'm drooling like Pavlov's dog. πŸ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:26 PM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:41 PM

Oooooooo mannnn!!!!  I haven't had eggs cooked in such fat in a long time.  It also reminds me that I've not had biscuits and gravy in a couple of years.  Heh.... dammit.... now I'm drooling like Pavlov's dog. πŸ˜€

If you haven't used bacon grease to pop popcorn, try it... It truly is one of the finer things in life.

Haha biscuits and gravy is my father's weakness. At least once or twice a year I make him about 2 gallons of sausage gravy and freeze it in smaller ziplock bags so he can thaw it and have 2-3 worth in a single bag. Makes it really easy if you have good gravy, then even the biscuits in a tube are pretty good.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Jason A. Long - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:32 PM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:26 PM

If you haven't used bacon grease to pop popcorn, try it... It truly is one of the finer things in life.

I grew up with a big "strainer" of bacon grease on the stove.  That was what everything was cooked in.  I'm really hungry now.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Jason A. Long - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:32 PM

I use bacon grease instead of butter when making cookies. My last batch of cookies was bacon chocolate chip cookies. And the insanity didn't stop there. Oh no. I actually baked one large cookie in the bottom of a 10" spring form pan and the rest of the dough as cookies. Then made up my cheesecake and crumbled up the cookies into the batter using the cookie as the crust. Topped it off with ganache and some more bacon bits. All together it was 1 1/2 pounds of bacon in a single 10" cheesecake. This was for a charity auction. I did pull out just enough batter to cook myself a 4" cheesecake which I promptly devoured.

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:42 PM

Jason A. Long - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:32 PM

I use bacon grease instead of butter when making cookies. My last batch of cookies was bacon chocolate chip cookies. And the insanity didn't stop there. Oh no. I actually baked one large cookie in the bottom of a 10" spring form pan and the rest of the dough as cookies. Then made up my cheesecake and crumbled up the cookies into the batter using the cookie as the crust. Topped it off with ganache and some more bacon bits. All together it was 1 1/2 pounds of bacon in a single 10" cheesecake. This was for a charity auction. I did pull out just enough batter to cook myself a 4" cheesecake which I promptly devoured.

I need to quit reading this post... It's making me hungry enough to eat my own arm.

• This is crazy. I'm going to yoga and then making turkey chili later. You crew are bad for my diet.

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:53 AM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:42 AM

ChrisM@Work - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:47 AM

Looks amazing, Sean! Is this just slow roasted or is there some smokey magic going on too?

There is definitely some smokey magic happening. Here is how I made these.

Cut up a pork belly into ~1" cubes. Apply a liberal amount of dry rub to cover all the surfaces. Then on the smoker at 275 for about 2 1/2 hours. I used apple for this round but any fruit wood would work well.

Transfer the cubes to an aluminum pan.
    cover the cubes with:
    ~1/2 - 3/4 C brown sugar
    1 stick of butter chopped up
    drizzle with honey.
    Cover the pan and put back on the smoker for another 90 minutes.

In a separate bowl mix:
    1 C bbq sauce
    ~1/2 C apple juice
    ~ 1/2 C apple jelly
    ~1-2 T franks hot sauce
    Pour the glaze over the drained cubes, cover and put back on the smoker for another 10 minutes or so.
    The fat parts just melt in your mouth and the meaty parts are little sweet nuggets of jerky. Well worth the effort.

Very nice, Sean.  Thanks for sharing the recipe and technique.  It's the brown sugar and honey at 275 that produces the char.  You won't get a deep bark from only 2 1/2 hours, but the sugar will work nicely.  I like the addition of just a hint of heat from the hot sauce, but not enough that it'll knock my daughter over just by looking at it.

Thanks again.  You've made me want to fire up mine.  It's still pretty new, so it doesn't have the years of seasoning inside, but it sure does look nice.

I replaced my old one as it literally fell apart. The ring in the bottom to hold the burner fell on the ground. Amazingly when I put it at the curb somebody picked it up within a few minutes. Not sure what they would do with it since there is nowhere near enough material to weld it or anything.

As for spice level both my boys gobbled this stuff down (ages 9 and 12). And they both do not even pretend to like anything spicy. Let me know how this turns out for you if you try it.

Any suggestions for my next experiment?

I had the Smoky Mountain out in the middle of last month on the first dry Saturday we'd had.  Unfortunately it was -4 C and there was a gusty wind so getting any consistent temperature was tricky.  As Mrs B pointed out, many of the states where smoking is big can have daytime temperatures nearly halfway to smoking heat before any charcoal is lit, so I was fighting with one hand behind my back in those conditions.  On the plus side, the Welsh Black brisket I had was nice and fatty and the closest thing I've seen to American cut brisket and I got some good results.  I also had a major success at the first attempt with my Jack Daniel's sauce.  I'm hoping to get the smoker out a lot more this year but it all depends on the weather.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Tell me. And all I've got is a lousy snickers.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Jason A. Long - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:47 PM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:42 PM

I need to quit reading this post... It's making me hungry enough to eat my own arm.

I use bacon grease for other things as well.  Brussels sprouts and other vegetables are obvious choices, but I must say I don't think I've ever baked with it.

Sean, the bacon cheesecake sounds insanely good.  I'm very traditional when it comes to making a graham cracker crust, but this is definitely something to try.

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:53 AM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:42 AM

ChrisM@Work - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:47 AM

Looks amazing, Sean! Is this just slow roasted or is there some smokey magic going on too?

There is definitely some smokey magic happening. Here is how I made these.

Cut up a pork belly into ~1" cubes. Apply a liberal amount of dry rub to cover all the surfaces. Then on the smoker at 275 for about 2 1/2 hours. I used apple for this round but any fruit wood would work well.

Transfer the cubes to an aluminum pan.
    cover the cubes with:
    ~1/2 - 3/4 C brown sugar
    1 stick of butter chopped up
    drizzle with honey.
    Cover the pan and put back on the smoker for another 90 minutes.

In a separate bowl mix:
    1 C bbq sauce
    ~1/2 C apple juice
    ~ 1/2 C apple jelly
    ~1-2 T franks hot sauce
    Pour the glaze over the drained cubes, cover and put back on the smoker for another 10 minutes or so.
    The fat parts just melt in your mouth and the meaty parts are little sweet nuggets of jerky. Well worth the effort.

Very nice, Sean.  Thanks for sharing the recipe and technique.  It's the brown sugar and honey at 275 that produces the char.  You won't get a deep bark from only 2 1/2 hours, but the sugar will work nicely.  I like the addition of just a hint of heat from the hot sauce, but not enough that it'll knock my daughter over just by looking at it.

Thanks again.  You've made me want to fire up mine.  It's still pretty new, so it doesn't have the years of seasoning inside, but it sure does look nice.

I replaced my old one as it literally fell apart. The ring in the bottom to hold the burner fell on the ground. Amazingly when I put it at the curb somebody picked it up within a few minutes. Not sure what they would do with it since there is nowhere near enough material to weld it or anything.

As for spice level both my boys gobbled this stuff down (ages 9 and 12). And they both do not even pretend to like anything spicy. Let me know how this turns out for you if you try it.

Any suggestions for my next experiment?

Have you tried smoked mac and cheese?  I may have some notes on it at home, which I'll try to find tonight.  I really need to formalize it into a recipe.  I made it last summer and it was just insanely good.  It was one of those things you knew contained loads of fat, but still didn't want to stop eating.

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, March 21, 2018 5:45 AM

Jason A. Long - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:47 PM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:42 PM

I use bacon grease for other things as well.  Brussels sprouts and other vegetables are obvious choices, but I must say I don't think I've ever baked with it.

Sean, the bacon cheesecake sounds insanely good.  I'm very traditional when it comes to making a graham cracker crust, but this is definitely something to try.

Baking with it just like using lard. I mean the fat comes from the same animal, it just has that awesome smoky bacon flavor where lard tastes like cardboard. I would only use it in those places where you want that kind of flavor.

Viewing 15 posts - 61,216 through 61,230 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply