Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (6/29/2009)

I guess it says something about our geekiness that our "water cooler" conversation has to be policed periodically for overly technical matter. This bit about normal forms says something about every participant. Not sure exactly what, but it sure says something!

All that discussion is why I prefer abnormal forms 😛

Also as far as the cube/office setup discussion, the only thing I miss about my cube is the ability to just "stick" things on the walls with a thumbtack. I have an almost enclosed office (no door) so it is harder. I guess I need to get a board for the wall I guess.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (6/29/2009)

All that discussion is why I prefer abnormal forms 😛

Also as far as the cube/office setup discussion, the only thing I miss about my cube is the ability to just "stick" things on the walls with a thumbtack. I have an almost enclosed office (no door) so it is harder. I guess I need to get a board for the wall I guess.

Jack, a propos of nothing at all: I smile every time I see your name. Back in my university days I used to share a house with a Jac Corbett (short for Jacqueline)

Reminds me of the days when the reason you stopped drinking beer was because you ran out of money, rather than because you didn't want a hangover...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• Heh... solve it all... store everything in one big EAV with SCD 2 applied to eliminate the need for separate auditing or archiving... 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (6/29/2009)

Heh... solve it all... store everything in one big EAV with SCD 2 applied to eliminate the need for separate auditing or archiving... 😛

How about a single XML column?

• mazzz (6/29/2009)

Jack, a propos of nothing at all: I smile every time I see your name. Back in my university days I used to share a house with a Jac Corbett (short for Jacqueline)

Reminds me of the days when the reason you stopped drinking beer was because you ran out of money, rather than because you didn't want a hangover...

Glad I can bring back some good memories, even better since I don't even have to try.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• AARRRGGGG!!!

When will people learn to read???

• Lynn Pettis (6/29/2009)

AARRRGGGG!!!

Reading leads to learning. Learning leads to knowledge. Knowledge leads to power. Power corrupts!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (6/29/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/29/2009)

AARRRGGGG!!!

Reading leads to learning. Learning leads to knowledge. Knowledge leads to power. Power corrupts!

And Absolute Power corrupts Absolutely! 😉

• Grant Fritchey (6/29/2009)

Paul White (6/29/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/29/2009)

I'm not sure I'd call it proper since I occupy it, but, oh yeah, it's completely a Dilbert style cube. I work for an insurance company.

Well in case it wasn't clear before - I'm jealous.

I've never had a proper cube 🙁

Open plan offices - bah.

I kind of like the open office too. But really, best of all would be four walls, one with a window and one with a door so I could wall off the planet when I'm in the mood.

BTW, below my Codd Oath, the other saying I have posted, again, no one appreciates:

The Rules: They may be stupid, arbitrary and irritating, but god help you if you break them.

The top panel of my cube has a window, the better to see the pillar holding up the ceiling with. I think that was some office furniture designers idea of a sick joke.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Lynn Pettis (6/29/2009)

And Absolute Power corrupts Absolutely! 😉

Absolutely!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I sit in a corner with another DBA and one network admin who is allowed to acces our Main Database server. I have the gif file printed of WTF reviews... No developer or management can see me.... 😛

-Roy

• GSquared (6/29/2009)

I have a Dilbert strip, the XKCD about Little Bobby Tables (search that if you don't know it, required reading for DBAs), a picture of Darth Vader with "I find your lack of indexes disturbing" as the tag line (got that one from Grant), a list from one of Phil's posts on Simple Talk, and a quote from Gail, all pinned up on the "wall".

Which quote from Gail?

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GSquared (6/29/2009)

Another advantage, off-topic, to a Names table, is that you can have a NameEquivalences table that records, by whatever means, the fact that "Johnathon" is the same as "John", "Johnny", "Jack", and so on. You can also do so with names columns in the Customers table, but it's easier with a Names table.

I take umbrage at your abuse of my surname; "Jonathan", as correctly spelled. I do not normally take umbrage, as there is so little to go around, but umbrage must be taken when offenses such as this occur.

*huffs indignantly*

• Snippy some people can be.

• jcrawf02 (6/29/2009)

GSquared (6/29/2009)

I have a Dilbert strip, the XKCD about Little Bobby Tables (search that if you don't know it, required reading for DBAs), a picture of Darth Vader with "I find your lack of indexes disturbing" as the tag line (got that one from Grant), a list from one of Phil's posts on Simple Talk, and a quote from Gail, all pinned up on the "wall".

Which quote from Gail?

This one, I suspect.

GilaMonster (6/14/2009)

$Deity's gift to IT

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 6,181 through 6,195 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply