Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (6/29/2009)

Snippy some people can be.

Yep. I'm ready to guess the solution to his update problem is, but we can't say without knowing more about his database.

As far as his attitude is concerned, I think he might have gotten the hint.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• jcrawf02 (6/29/2009)

GSquared (6/29/2009)

Another advantage, off-topic, to a Names table, is that you can have a NameEquivalences table that records, by whatever means, the fact that "Johnathon" is the same as "John", "Johnny", "Jack", and so on. You can also do so with names columns in the Customers table, but it's easier with a Names table.

I take umbrage at your abuse of my surname; "Jonathan", as correctly spelled. I do not normally take umbrage, as there is so little to go around, but umbrage must be taken when offenses such as this occur.

*huffs indignantly*

Hey, I know someone who spells it Johnathon. It's a bit different, I know, but it is valid.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Alvin Ramard (6/29/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/29/2009)

Yep. I'm ready to guess the solution to his update problem is, but we can't say without knowing more about his database.

The cross join in the subquery?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/29/2009)

jcrawf02 (6/29/2009)

GSquared (6/29/2009)

I have a Dilbert strip, the XKCD about Little Bobby Tables (search that if you don't know it, required reading for DBAs), a picture of Darth Vader with "I find your lack of indexes disturbing" as the tag line (got that one from Grant), a list from one of Phil's posts on Simple Talk, and a quote from Gail, all pinned up on the "wall".

Which quote from Gail?

This one, I suspect.

GilaMonster (6/14/2009)

$Deity's gift to IT

Yep!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Alvin Ramard (6/29/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/29/2009)

Two problems, actually, may be there. Cross join in the subquery plus a syntax error with the correlate subquery. With that, there really does need to be FROM clause.

• GSquared (6/29/2009)

GilaMonster (6/14/2009)

$Deity's gift to IT

Yep!

Is it stuck above your monitor?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GSquared (6/29/2009)

I have a Dilbert strip, the XKCD about Little Bobby Tables (search that if you don't know it, required reading for DBAs), a picture of Darth Vader with "I find your lack of indexes disturbing"

I'm a huge xkcd fan 🙂

My (fairly recent) favourite is the testing one[/url]

Where can I get that Vader picture???

Paul

Alvin Ramard (6/29/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/29/2009)

oops, I missed that. I was thinking about select avg(written_sales_count) and a group by

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• jcrawf02 (6/29/2009)

GSquared (6/29/2009)

Another advantage, off-topic, to a Names table, is that you can have a NameEquivalences table that records, by whatever means, the fact that "Johnathon" is the same as "John", "Johnny", "Jack", and so on. You can also do so with names columns in the Customers table, but it's easier with a Names table.

I take umbrage at your abuse of my surname; "Jonathan", as correctly spelled. I do not normally take umbrage, as there is so little to go around, but umbrage must be taken when offenses such as this occur.

*huffs indignantly*

(Just to have fun with this, I'm going to go with the definition of "umbrage" as "something that gives shade, as in a tree or umbrella".)

I'm glad I was able to provide you with some comfortable shade. Are you visiting Lynn in the desert, perhaps?

Since corporate policy where I work is to keep everyone permanently in the dark, I can provide all the umbrage you might need. No shortage over here.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

GSquared (6/29/2009)

GilaMonster (6/14/2009)

$Deity's gift to IT

Yep!

Is it stuck above your monitor?

So far, yes. I still plan to turn it into a t-shirt.

Property of The Thread

• Can someone take a look at this issue?? I am bit lost on how to help this OP.

-Roy

• Uh... Sorry, folks! Didn't see that the discussion about the UPDATE-thread is ongoing here.

• Florian Reischl (6/29/2009)

Uh... Sorry, folks! Didn't see that the discussion about the UPDATE-thread is ongoing here.

Just a side conversation between colleagues, please feel free to join in. 😉

• Florian Reischl (6/29/2009)

Uh... Sorry, folks! Didn't see that the discussion about the UPDATE-thread is ongoing here.

That's ok. It's just the usual behind the scene stuff.

Edit Note: Replaced the invalid quote.

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin Ramard (6/29/2009)

Roy Ernest (6/29/2009)

Can someone take a look at this issue?? I am bit lost on how to help this OP.

That's ok. It's just the usual behind the scene stuff.

Hey Alvin, looks like you got the wrong quote here... 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 6,196 through 6,210 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply