Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Michael L John - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:47 AM

type your messageDon't you mean:
    "I'm not going to tell you everything you need to know to fix my problem but fix it anyways and for free, and I expect to get paid for it"

This. Most definitely this.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• jasona.work - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:44 AM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:54 AM

Thom A - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:39 AM

I'm really beginning to wonder how long this discussion is going to go on for.

I've given uo asking for the actual query now (I think Grant has too), however, I really wish they would share it; I suspect that it's going to be just a (very) poorly written query (probably filled with NOLOCK and non-SARGable clauses in the WHERE), and fixing it will probably benefit the OP loads.

Of course, they might have really found an odd-ball performance issue. If that's the case, the amount the community could learn from it would be great.

WOW!!!! That OP is a hot mess. Jobless and thinking that MS is going to pay him for finding some obscure bug that is only repeatable occasionally, on certain versions and with no details. Why did either you or Grant stick around that disaster so long? They don't want help figuring it out. They want validation of their "bug" so they can hopefully get some reward that doesn't exist. That person is chasing unicorns and you guys are leading them down the path.

That hurt to read...
    It's a classic "I'm not going to tell you everything you need to know to fix my problem but fix it anyways and for free."

With a dose of "I'll collect a major reward for all your work and might give you a tiny payout for your help."

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:57 AM

jasona.work - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:44 AM

I've given uo asking for the actual query now (I think Grant has too), however, I really wish they would share it; I suspect that it's going to be just a (very) poorly written query (probably filled with NOLOCK and non-SARGable clauses in the WHERE), and fixing it will probably benefit the OP loads.

Of course, they might have really found an odd-ball performance issue. If that's the case, the amount the community could learn from it would be great.

WOW!!!! That OP is a hot mess. Jobless and thinking that MS is going to pay him for finding some obscure bug that is only repeatable occasionally, on certain versions and with no details. Why did either you or Grant stick around that disaster so long? They don't want help figuring it out. They want validation of their "bug" so they can hopefully get some reward that doesn't exist. That person is chasing unicorns and you guys are leading them down the path.

That hurt to read...
    It's a classic "I'm not going to tell you everything you need to know to fix my problem but fix it anyways and for free."

With a dose of "I'll collect a major reward for all your work and might give you a tiny payout for your help."

The one thing that aggravates me about this post is that I took the time to read it.  I can never get those 5 minutes back....

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:04 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:57 AM

jasona.work - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:44 AM

That hurt to read...

The one thing that aggravates me about this post is that I took the time to read it.  I can never get those 5 minutes back....

You're lucky, I read the entire train wreck...

• jasona.work - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:17 AM

You're lucky, I read the entire train wreck...

I read it as well, even made a comment when I finished.

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:24 AM

I read it as well, even made a comment when I finished.

I couldn't resist...

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 12:34 PM

I couldn't resist...

I think he his delusional.

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:28 PM

I think he his delusional.

*Must*
    *resist*
    *posting*
    (Plus, well, Lynn basically said what I've been thinking...)

• jasona.work - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:33 PM

*Must*
    *resist*
    *posting*
    (Plus, well, Lynn basically said what I've been thinking...)

I tried. I tried, tried, tried. I'm out. What a total and complete hot mess.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Honestly... I really want to see the secret squirrel more confidential than confidential view. It must do amazing things never before dreamt of by humankind... Or it's a steaming pile of horse manure. One or the other. You know where my money is, but MAN, I really want to see it.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thom A - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:39 AM

A wise man once told me not to argue with fools. From a distance ...

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:23 AM

jasona.work - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:18 AM

Well, I think the best way to describe the job is "hours and hours of boredom, followed by minutes of sheer howling terror."  Just not quite boredom and certainly not terror.
    There's challenges, but they tend to be a little here, a little there.  Right now my three biggest challenges are getting the backups under my direct control, getting ready for a big audit (unknown when exactly, this is happening,) and getting a SSIS package I created working right.

I'm not sure I want to know why getting an SSIS package working is considered "minutes of sheer howling terror."

:hehe:

Meh, horror is (post BIDS) finding right version of VS with a correct available extension to even create a package :angry:
    And don't get me started on SSMS 17.x inability to connect to 2016 Integration Services :pinch:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 3:57 PM

A wise man once told me not to argue with fools. From a distance ...

Could not resist posting on it also.. darn waste of time for everyone.

• David Burrows - Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:51 AM

And don't get me started on SSMS 17.x inability to connect to 2016 Integration Services :pinch:

Seriously? Our main vendor is about to go to 2017. And it's not backwards compatible?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:10 AM

Seriously? Our main vendor is about to go to 2017. And it's not backwards compatible?

Maybe this is MS's way of pushing people to use SSISDB instead.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 62,491 through 62,505 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply