Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thom A - Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:27 AM

Maybe this is MS's way of pushing people to use SSISDB instead.

This also happened with previous versions - its a pain but solution is to install the previous versions of SSMS side by side - and only use the version specific SSMS for managing Integrations Services, and 17.x for everything else

• frederico_fonseca - Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:47 AM

This also happened with previous versions - its a pain but solution is to install the previous versions of SSMS side by side - and only use the version specific SSMS for managing Integrations Services, and 17.x for everything else

Which is why I need 3 different versions of Visual Studio installed on my laptop.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Steve, there's no good way to add comments to Report Post anymore. Can you set this thread Read Only? Nothing is getting accomplished because the OP refuses to give anyone the information we need to help him out and everyone is just piling on to that refusal.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, October 11, 2018 5:19 AM

Steve, there's no good way to add comments to Report Post anymore. Can you set this thread Read Only? Nothing is getting accomplished because the OP refuses to give anyone the information we need to help him out and everyone is just piling on to that refusal.

Aw, Brandie's spoiling everyones fun!

• David Burrows - Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:51 AM

Meh, horror is (post BIDS) finding right version of VS with a correct available extension to even create a package :angry:
    And don't get me started on SSMS 17.x inability to connect to 2016 Integration Services :pinch:

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:10 AM

David Burrows - Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:51 AM

And don't get me started on SSMS 17.x inability to connect to 2016 Integration Services :pinch:

Seriously? Our main vendor is about to go to 2017. And it's not backwards compatible?

Well, newer versions of SSMS have thus far never been able to connect to previous versions of SSIS, which bites when you have more than one version of SQL hanging around...
    I mean really, who *doesn't* like having two or three versions of one tool?

As for getting the right version of SSDT, ugh.  If you don't have full Visual Studio, good luck figuring out WHICH version of SSDT you've got...
    You can find the VS version it's built on, the .NET version etc, but the straight-up "SSDT vX?"  Nope, not gonna tell you!

• And I'm done. I really did try, but at the end, it was a serious waste of typing and CPU power. Ah well. I guess I'll never see the super secret SQL that's in the view. Damn. I really wanted some of that Microsoft bounty money.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, October 11, 2018 5:37 AM

And I'm done. I really did try, but at the end, it was a serious waste of typing and CPU power. Ah well. I guess I'll never see the super secret SQL that's in the view. Damn. I really wanted some of that Microsoft bounty money.

I was tempted to report the original post 3 times -- may get the whole thread deleted 😀

And I'm done. I really did try, but at the end, it was a serious waste of typing and CPU power. Ah well. I guess I'll never see the super secret SQL that's in the view. Damn. I really wanted some of that Microsoft bounty money.

This, was by far, the most entertaining part of the entire thread:

I was able to return 1.9 million rows in approximately 12 seconds. That's pretty close to your 183 rows and 11 seconds, so I'm going with it.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

He's trolling us. His last post said he'd been working on this bug for 2 years and expected $240k worth of salary ($10 per hour) for that work.

If he'd been working on this for that long, you'd expect he'd be able to show the issue on more than one machine and to give us a reason why he spent 2 years looking for this bug.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, October 11, 2018 5:43 AM

He's trolling us. His last post said he'd been working on this bug for 2 years and expected $240k worth of salary ($10 per hour) for that work.

If he'd been working on this for that long, you'd expect he'd be able to show the issue on more than one machine and to give us a reason why he spent 2 years looking for this bug.

Pretty sure that's an attempt at humor. I don't think this person has evil intent. I think they're seriously lost and just don't have a clue how to get out of the wilderness. However, I've pointed at the nearby subway station as many times as I care to.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thom A - Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:27 AM

Maybe this is MS's way of pushing people to use SSISDB instead.

Is that what you use?

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Thom A - Thursday, October 11, 2018 5:42 AM

This, was by far, the most entertaining part of the entire thread:

I was able to return 1.9 million rows in approximately 12 seconds. That's pretty close to your 183 rows and 11 seconds, so I'm going with it.

Yeah, that made me chuckle. I don't think the guy is malicious, I think he's just utterly deluded. He probably believes he's mere moments away from the greatest stock trading system ever developed and all the logic is in one single, slow SQL view which he daren't share with anyone lest they know it's secrets.

Never mind the MS money - what about that view?  I'll bet the NSA wishes it knew about that super-secret view.  It might solve half of the world's problems, right? 😛

• David Burrows - Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:06 AM

Is that what you use?

I do, yes.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:40 AM

David Burrows - Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:06 AM

Is that what you use?

I do, yes.

Thanks 🙂

I think a little research and play is in order :laugh:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Viewing 15 posts - 62,506 through 62,520 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply