Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Got back from a meeting this morning to discover that I suddenly had a second meeting starting immediately.  Someone had scheduled me for a meeting with less than 10 minutes lead time.  It's a good thing that the first meeting didn't run over.  It also turns out that they wanted me in the meeting to ask questions about something that isn't even in my purview.  :crazy:

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Friday, January 25, 2019 9:46 AM

Got back from a meeting this morning to discover that I suddenly had a second meeting starting immediately.  Someone had scheduled me for a meeting with less than 10 minutes lead time.  It's a good thing that the first meeting didn't run over.  It also turns out that they wanted me in the meeting to ask questions about something that isn't even in my purview.  :crazy:

Drew

Sounds a LOT like my typical day. 😀

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Got back from a meeting this morning to discover that I suddenly had a second meeting starting immediately.  Someone had scheduled me for a meeting with less than 10 minutes lead time.  It's a good thing that the first meeting didn't run over.  It also turns out that they wanted me in the meeting to ask questions about something that isn't even in my purview.  :crazy:

Drew

What I love is when corporate sends out notifications about server upgrades after 5:00 p.m. on a Friday, scheduled to happen that weekend. And if you forget to check your email when you're technically not working, and something in production goes FUBAR, they expect you to take the blame for not being available to verify the releases.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Drew

They gave you 10 minutes. I've been invited to meetings 30 minutes after they started.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Brandie Tarvin - Friday, January 25, 2019 8:08 AM

MSSQL Tips Newsletter headline "Properly Secure SQL Server."

Well, duh. You don't need an article for that. Just revoke all access.

ALL access.

Problem solved. Server secure. @=)

I find the power button to be far more convenient but just as effective 😛

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Luis Cazares - Friday, January 25, 2019 11:48 AM

drew.allen - Friday, January 25, 2019 9:46 AM

Drew

They gave you 10 minutes. I've been invited to meetings 30 minutes after they started.

I actually like it when that happens.  That means I have an excuse for not going.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Luis Cazares - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:59 PM

Well, an unsolicited recruiter got me a job that I'm starting today. Everything seems fine right now, except for some of the DB code, but that's why I'm here.
    When you're unemployed in a foreign country, you can't get too picky on where the offers come from.

Congrats Luis.  I hope it works out well - and I'm sure it will unless your new exployers are idiots.

Tom

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, January 24, 2019 7:51 AM

That's OK. I installed a patch to my own company's software that nuked all the data in the database. The article I was ready to write is waiting at least one more day while I collect all the data... again.

I wonder how many of us in this forum have been there and done that but usually hide the T-shirt.

Tom

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:30 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:28 AM

So under the context of my current project, my boss asked me to put in some technical debt. Basic code clean up and performance enhancement of code I wrote back in 2007 and have been appending / modified on a regular basis since. The code has always been complicated from day one and my understanding of T-SQL has substantially improved since then.

In the past two weeks, I have found 3 production bugs that no one has noticed. I've improved the code to cut out 20 minutes of time on one proc, 10 minutes on another, and I'm still finding stuff that can be tweaked to improve it.

This is the same code built on "If Bertie was wearing a green tie on Sunday and it rained in China but the butterflies on Greenland were flying west, do X, but if all these are true and Susie was wearing white shoes after Labor Day, do Y."

I cannot believe how much cleanup there is to do. And that I finally have time to do it. This code embarrasses me. I'm ashamed to have written it. To give you an idea of what I was dealing with, though, there were no less than 56 scope changes over the first year of the project. And there have been another 32+ since. Not to mention bug fixes for "black holes" that new business rules accidentally introduced.

Wow... just... wow.

How odd. Tried to edit this post and the Update Post button wouldn't work. So I'll quote myself instead.

EDIT: I'm curious. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Well, to satisfy your curiosity I have to admit that I've written code that turned out much later (after a year of successful operation in customer sytems and longer in in-house systems - about half a billion successful executions all told and no failures at all before it suddenly stopped working) to be a problem.  The thing I'm ashamed about for that code is that when I looked at it after it suddenly ceased working I couldn't see how it had ever worked, although it clearly had worked rather often.

Tom

• rodjkidd - Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:28 AM

Is it too early to mention SQL Bits?
    Who from the Thread are attending?
    Cheers,

Rodders...

I would have attended, but looking after my Ann took priority again this year, so I needed to be not far away from her where she has for years had to live in the winter because Britain is, according to her doctors,  too cold (buying a place in Lanzarote for her to live in during winter has given her an extra 13.5 years of not being totally bed-ridden compared to the doctors' predictions 15 years ago if she was going to spend her winters in the UK). 
    But now things have gone wrong.  If I'd known what would happen, perhaps I could have come to SQL Bits  - she died in the main hospital in Arrecife on Sunday 13 January this year, and so she doesn't need me to look after her day by day any more. 
    So I've had her body brought home to be buried where she wanted.  Then, as she would never make a will, I have to sort out her estate in Britain and seperately sort out her estate in Spain (radically different laws) so that our childen don't have to cope with that bureaucracy ( and I shall write the neccessary English and Spanish wills to ensure they aren't stuck with that when I die).  But sorting out that bureaucracy is not urgent (I hope).
    And I have to sort out myself and accept that I've lost her, but I dont know if I can cope with that.

Tom

• TomThomson - Saturday, January 26, 2019 6:57 PM

rodjkidd - Thursday, January 24, 2019 8:28 AM

Cheers,

Rodders...

I would have attended, but looking after my Ann took priority again this year, so I needed to be not far away from her where she has for years had to live in the winter because Britain is, according to her doctors,  too cold (buying a place in Lanzarote for her to live in during winter has given her an extra 13.5 years of not being totally bed-ridden compared to the doctors' predictions 15 years ago if she was going to spend her winters in the UK). 
    But now things have gone wrong.  If I'd known what would happen, perhaps I could have come to SQL Bits  - she died in the main hospital in Arrecife on Sunday 13 January this year, and so she doesn't need me to look after her day by day any more. 
    So I've had her body brought home to be buried where she wanted.  Then, as she would never make a will, I have to sort out her estate in Britain and seperately sort out her estate in Spain (radically different laws) so that our childen don't have to cope with that bureaucracy ( and I shall write the neccessary English and Spanish wills to ensure they aren't stuck with that when I die).  But sorting out that bureaucracy is not urgent (I hope).
    And I have to sort out myself and accept that I've lost her, but I dont know if I can cope with that.

Condolences in this trying time, Tom.

Cheers,

Rodders...

Oh, Tom. You have my deepest sympathies. I am so sorry for your loss.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Cheers,

Rodders...

My condolences Tom, very sorry to hear and my thoughts are with you.
    Regards,
    Eirikur

Cheers,

Rodders...

Oh my.  You did right by her and you continue to do so.  My hat is in my hand and my heart and thoughts are with you and your family.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Tom, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,046 through 63,060 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply