Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Alvin Ramard (7/7/2009)

GSquared (7/7/2009)

WayneS (7/6/2009)

GSquared (7/6/2009)

... Heck, I once licked a live electrical cord to see what it would feel like.)

Now that explains a few things.:w00t:

The results were simply shocking!

Not as shocking as the idea that anyone would try that.

:w00t:

I was seven years old, and I'd just learned how to test a 9V battery by touching your tongue to the terminals, to see if it has any power in it. So I tested an extension cord that way.

All things considered, I really can't recommend the experience to anyone. Woke up a few minutes later with blisters on my tongue. It just didn't live up to my expectations. :hehe:

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• You know what else is shocking? More than 23 hours elapsed between the last 2 posts!!!

:w00t:

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Since this is THE THREAD, a change was made to allow cut and paste to/from SSMS and the forums.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic749309-83-1.aspx

I await the issues.

• Take a look at GSquared tag here. "SSCertifiable"

Well, I guess the electric Shock confirms the tag...:hehe:

Just kidding

-Roy

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/6/2009)

It hurts my eyes just to read those. I have the feeling I won't even be able to communicate with my grandkids if they start typing like that.

Then you'll love this. This gem of a post appeared on a game's forums after an update that (shock, horror) changed a font and a few icons (among other things)

OKAJ I **WEKING CAWMED HOWM AND SAW TE UPDATE JEH? AWN I WSN LIKE WOOOT??? CO0L UPDATE3Z T0D4y PL**AXK? THWN IT WES A FREKING STWID TAWBS *********MUTEHR****** UPWDATE=!?!?!?!?!?!?! HOW THE ****WK!!! ITWS UGGWLY AS HWELL REWMOVE IT I PAY** TO PL4Y SO UW ***KING OBAY ME

:ermm:

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/8/2009)

OKAJ I **WEKING CAWMED HOWM AND SAW TE UPDATE JEH? AWN I WSN LIKE WOOOT??? CO0L UPDATE3Z T0D4y PL**AXK? THWN IT WES A FREKING STWID TAWBS *********MUTEHR****** UPWDATE=!?!?!?!?!?!?! HOW THE ****WK!!! ITWS UGGWLY AS HWELL REWMOVE IT I PAY** TO PL4Y SO UW ***KING OBAY ME

Is there a translator somewhere we can post this ti see what was being said? I'm having a bit of a problem figuring it all out. I think I made out part of it. :unsure:

• The really sad thing is I had to really expend a fair amount of mental energy to try to understand what half of those words were...

Sheesh..

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (7/8/2009)

GilaMonster (7/8/2009)

Is there a translator somewhere we can post this ti see what was being said? I'm having a bit of a problem figuring it all out. I think I made out part of it. :unsure:

I don't think it's a language. It's a mixture of an attempt at L33t sp34k (Leet speak), a lot of swearing, too many caps and waaaay too much punctuation.

Best I can manage

"Ok, I <curse> came home and saw the update, yes? And I was like *woot* there's a cool update today. Then I saw the <curse> ugly tabs. <curse> <curse> <curse>. It's ugly as hell. Remove it. I pay to <curse> play so you <curse> obey me"

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Think, I do, that our True Relational Fanatic may have new persona here on SSC.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? 😉

• Lynn Pettis (7/8/2009)

Think, I do, that our True Relational Fanatic may have new persona here on SSC.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? 😉

I think I'm staying out of that thread. 😛

Seriously, in an ideal world where the dev team has more than enough resources to devote to the next version, sure, why not. This is not an ideal world. There are a number of things more important than hidden pointers for foreign keys.

Gail Shaw

• I'd guess not. Wasn't he asking people to vote for an enhancement that allowed foriegn keys to be supported by pointers? I'd say that a true relational fanatic would never suggest such a thing. If DBDEBUNK was still active, Fabian Pascal would probably be commenting on that notion.

The whole TRDBMS generates more heat than light. Would I like a more robust implementation of the relational model and will I pressure vendors, to the extent of my ability, to deliver it: Yes.

In the mean time, I have problems to solve that require detailed knowledge of the operation of the current crop of SQL-based DBMSs and I'll be happy to use useful extensions as necessary.

I confess my failings and ask forgiveness, so help me Codd.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• GilaMonster (7/2/2009)

This evening I decided enough was enough, I could just hack a workaround in and carry on. As I'm doing so, I spotted this in my code....

<beliefset name="knownAsteroids" class ="Asteroid"></beliefset>

... 40 or so lines of xml

<achievegoal name="achieveSelectAsteroid">

<creationcondition>

$beliefbase.getBeliefSet("known_asteroids").size()>0

</creationcondition>

<dropcondition>

$beliefbase.SelectedAsteroid != null

</dropcondition>

</achievegoal>

Of course, there's no syntax checking in the xml and the agent framework ignores beliefs that aren't defined (if considers all undeclared beliefs to be essentially null)

*headdesk*

*headdesk*

*headdesk*

You have no idea how much better this makes me feel about my own work process . . . 😉

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GSquared (7/6/2009)

Heck, I once licked a live electrical cord to see what it would feel like.

And don't that just explain a few things? 😛

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• OK, who tripped over the power cord!

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (7/8/2009)

OK, who tripped over the power cord!

Not I!. That beauty happened at 7:00AM today. Exchange server was offline and nobody from infrastructure in yet. Could send or receive emails. At 7:45AM, it was back online. As you might have guessed, nobody did anything, nobody can find anything (nobody but I was even in yet), yet I had several SQL jobs fail, logging to the event log that exchange server was down - actually could not be found. I restarted my jobs and, viola, everything worked fine. One of the mysteries of life, I guess.....

-- You can't be late until you show up.

Viewing 15 posts - 6,481 through 6,495 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply