Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Luke L (7/8/2009)

OK, who tripped over the power cord!

Not I!. That beauty happened at 7:00AM today. Exchange server was offline and nobody from infrastructure in yet. Could send or receive emails. At 7:45AM, it was back online. As you might have guessed, nobody did anything, nobody can find anything (nobody but I was even in yet), yet I had several SQL jobs fail, logging to the event log that exchange server was down - actually could not be found. I restarted my jobs and, viola, everything worked fine. One of the mysteries of life, I guess.....

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Luke L (7/8/2009)

Not I!. That beauty happened at 7:00AM today. Exchange server was offline and nobody from infrastructure in yet. Could send or receive emails. At 7:45AM, it was back online. As you might have guessed, nobody did anything, nobody can find anything (nobody but I was even in yet), yet I had several SQL jobs fail, logging to the event log that exchange server was down - actually could not be found. I restarted my jobs and, viola, everything worked fine. One of the mysteries of life, I guess.....

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Is it just me or are others having issues when posting replies? I get application failures, but the replies still post. Quite troubling if you ask me. It could result in multiple posts as people think there post didn't get posted.

• Luke L (7/8/2009)

Or, did someone try to lick it again?

:w00t:

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Same thing just happened to me Lynn.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (7/8/2009)

Think, I do, that our True Relational Fanatic may have new persona here on SSC.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? 😉

I think its the same guy who was trolling celko on usenet a while back

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Just got approval from the boss to go to the PASS SUMMIT! You'll know it's me when you hear someone loud, but can't see them because they are too short to be seen over the rest of the crowd.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I also don't think the post count is working (incrementing) nor have I received any email notifications since the site went down.

Edit: Or I could be wrong on the post count thing, but I haven't received any email notifications.

• Posts aren't showing up on the "home" page, so it looks like there are still issues to be resolved.

GSquared!!! Get that cord out of your mouth!!!!

Alvin Ramard

• GilaMonster (7/3/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/3/2009)

Maybe I am letting things get to me more right now, but in this case I really don't think so.

It's more a general impression across several threads than just this one.

It's just how Eswin changed things and tried to make it look like I hadn't met his requirements initially. Perhaps, instead of say "no my date data type is datetime" and had said, okay, but let's change the requirements a bit, now how would you do it.

I don't think that was his intention.

He's very 'casual' about the english language in most threads (don't know if he's English first language or not), and shortens his writing to the point that there are several interpretations when he writes stuff. My feeling is that he meant 'No, oops, sorry, the data type is datetime', but he leaves out all the 'unnecessary' words and it comes out in a way that's completely misinterpretable.

It's the kinda thing some people do when they start online. They type as they would speak, but all the body language, intonation, etc is missing and so half the meaning is lost.

A good friend of mine was like that when she started on chat. She typed as she would have spoken to someone and a couple times I read the meaning wrong and got angry, she couldn't understand why because she hadn't meant to be offensive. She learnt better, fairly quickly.

Totally agree with you Gail. We back-then-foreign-youngsters wrote like that when we first encountered IRC. Man, the flames were flying if your English was incomprehensible or even ambiguous... On this forum though I really appreciate that at least the regulars look past grammatical and syntactical and most semantical mistakes by OPs who are not, what was it again, First Language English Speakers? Apologies, I can't remember the acronym, but I had to go through almost 900 posts to catch up with three weeks of holiday 😉 You guys just darn post too quickly, even if the likes of Barry and Steve are off on holiday, and Lynn has headed off throwing yellow and red cards at poor little kids' heads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• GilaMonster (7/3/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/3/2009)

Maybe I am letting things get to me more right now, but in this case I really don't think so.

It's just how Eswin changed things and tried to make it look like I hadn't met his requirements initially. Perhaps, instead of say "no my date data type is datetime" and had said, okay, but let's change the requirements a bit, now how would you do it.

He's very 'casual' about the english language in most threads (don't know if he's English first language or not), and shortens his writing to the point that there are several interpretations when he writes stuff. My feeling is that he meant 'No, oops, sorry, the data type is datetime', but he leaves out all the 'unnecessary' words and it comes out in a way that's completely misinterpretable.

It's the kinda thing some people do when they start online. They type as they would speak, but all the body language, intonation, etc is missing and so half the meaning is lost.

A good friend of mine was like that when she started on chat. She typed as she would have spoken to someone and a couple times I read the meaning wrong and got angry, she couldn't understand why because she hadn't meant to be offensive. She learnt better, fairly quickly.

Totally agree with you Gail. We back-then-foreign-youngsters wrote like that when we first encountered IRC. Man, the flames were flying if your English was incomprehensible or even ambiguous... On this forum though I really appreciate that at least the regulars look past grammatical and syntactical and most semantical mistakes by OPs who are not, what was it again, First Language English Speakers? Apologies, I can't remember the acronym, but I had to go through almost 900 posts to catch up with three weeks of holiday 😉 You guys just darn post too quickly, even if the likes of Barry and Steve are off on holiday, and Lynn has headed off throwing yellow and red cards at poor little kids' heads.

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• GilaMonster (7/3/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/3/2009)

• - duplicate -

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/8/2009)

Since this is THE THREAD, a change was made to allow cut and paste to/from SSMS and the forums.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic749309-83-1.aspx

I await the issues.

Not sure if this is related, but when clicking to report a post (nothing serious - just a guy who accidentally submitted the same very long post several times) I get the full IIS error page with all sorts of data listed (including a full stack trace), for example:

Machine: 110447-SERVER3

Application path: E:\WebSites\SSCV2\Forums

The full list includes all server-side variables, assembly details, and form variables :blink:

You might want to put up a custom error page instead? 😉

Paul

(I got error 'Cannot process the object ""SQLServerCentral"."dbo"."UserPoints"". The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "SSC" indicates that either the object has no columns or the current user does not have permissions on that object.' trying to post this :-D)

• sigh

Viewing 15 posts - 6,496 through 6,510 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply