Are the posted questions getting worse?

• My two favorites were always:

666 1/2

Basement of the Beast

Retail Number of the Beast

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• 664 - The beast next door

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I hate to pop everyone's bubble, but wasn't it established a while back that the 666 number is either a mistranslation or a bad copying job and tha thte actual number is either 615, 616 or 665? In which case, if it's either of the first two, we passed it a while back.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GilaMonster (7/14/2009)

Dave Ballantyne (7/13/2009)

GilaMonster (7/13/2009)

I was referring to one of the other of his threads, the one that Dave posted.

SELECT <lots> FROM <somewhere> WHERE tatcalltype = 'null' AND <other conditions>

Done, apparently, because 'null' is faster than NULL

Yes hes only got 15million rows , apparently selecting 14.7 million and would like it to run fast.

sp_configure 'Run queries fast', 1

Like the old turbo button on circa 286 machines.

Heh. That reminds me of what we used to tell customers back when I was doing performance support for DEC's VAX/VMS systems: "The FAST button is already on."

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• So, would that make it the deceptive Number of the Beast? 😀

-- Kit

• Paul White (7/14/2009)

Yep. Just couldn't be bothered...I'd gone to the trouble of wrapping it in and thought that would be good enough...seems not

Hmmm, should work?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Grant Fritchey (7/14/2009)

I hate to pop everyone's bubble, but wasn't it established a while back that the 666 number is either a mistranslation or a bad copying job and tha thte actual number is either 615, 616 or 665? In which case, if it's either of the first two, we passed it a while back.

Not sure what you mean about "we passed it a while back". Are you assuming the number refers to a number of years from a certain event? In which case, we've passed all of them quite some time ago, I would think. Just like "the Millennium", which was assumed by most to mean the world would end 1,000 years after either the birth or crucifixion of Jesus.

(I prefer to assume the world actually has ended, and we just need the ushers to wake us up and chase us out of the theatre.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• RBarryYoung (7/14/2009)

Paul White (7/14/2009)

Yep. Just couldn't be bothered...I'd gone to the trouble of wrapping it in and thought that would be good enough...seems not

Hmmm, should work?

It works in the sense that it doesn't eat the angle brackets, however it will automatically close all tags which, if it's not xml and they're there to indicate placeholders, looks awfully weird.

SELECT <Something> FROM <SomeTable>

SELECT FROM

Edit: I can't even get that working.... I know I could at one point

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

I hate to pop everyone's bubble, but wasn't it established a while back that the 666 number is either a mistranslation or a bad copying job and tha thte actual number is either 615, 616 or 665? In which case, if it's either of the first two, we passed it a while back.

There were variant versions of The Revelation that listed 616 instead of 666. Irenaeus was aware of both versions and felt that 666 was the more legitimate. For all intents and purposes, Irenaeus was the person who most influenced what was and was not in the New Testament and why they were or were not legitimate.

Thing is, both numbers can be derived from Emperor Nero's name and title via Hebrew numerology, which is who most scholars have always thought that "the Beast" was referring to.

(Dang, Wikipedia is convenient! I knew all of this years ago, but it was a bear to track it all down, even with Google, until Wikipedia put it up.)

[/font]

• RBarryYoung (7/14/2009)

Paul White (7/14/2009)

Hmmm, should work?

Interesting reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

Will the world die because of the Thread???

Steve, save the world, make us skip page 666!!!! 😀

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (7/14/2009)

RBarryYoung (7/14/2009)

Paul White (7/14/2009)

Hmmm, should work?

Interesting reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

Will the world die because of the Thread???

Steve, save the world, make us skip page 666!!!! 😀

Just change you "posts per page" setting for a week and then switch back. 🙂

[/font]

• If we are coming up on the number of the beast & the end times & all that because of the Thread, then the four horseman & the anti-guy must be hanging around here too...

Well, that anti-guy is easy. That's Steve.

As to the horsemen, my picks

Conquest - Gus

War - Gail

Famine - Lynn

Death - Jeff, of course

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GilaMonster (7/13/2009)

You can lead a horse to water but you cant force him to drink

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic751918-8-2.aspx?Update=1

On second thoughts, I think I'm leaving that thread alone...

tatcalltype ='null'

Why.....

He's back... -> http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost752843.aspx

I'm wondering how long his audit procedure is - so we could estimate the expected number of posts... :Whistling:

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Jeff Moden (7/14/2009)

Matt Miller (7/13/2009)

Jeff Moden (7/13/2009)

You can lead a horse to water but you cant force him to drink

Heh... well... you can if you don't mind getting your lips dirty. I'm going to leave that one alone, though.

Wow - I think you just "cleared the table" with that one....

Heh... I'd forgotten about the "fastest way to clear a table". Still works, though. 😉

I'm pretty sure MS (or any vendor for that matter) will not come up with a way to deprecate that particular method any time soon!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

If we are coming up on the number of the beast & the end times & all that because of the Thread, then the four horseman & the anti-guy must be hanging around here too...

Well, that anti-guy is easy. That's Steve.

As to the horsemen, my picks

Conquest - Gus

War - Gail

Famine - Lynn

Death - Jeff, of course

Perhaps my machine is already affected, but the Thread seems to have gone underground, since it is no longer returned in the "recent posts" even when it should be.

duh-duh-DUH!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 15 posts - 6,631 through 6,645 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply