Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Paul White (7/14/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (7/14/2009)

Paul White (7/14/2009)

That always reminds me of a book - I think it was called "Good Omens" in which Conquest, War, Famine, and Death stopped at a cafe for a bite to eat and their horses were stolen.

The Four Pedestrians of the Apocalypse just doesn't sound as good somehow...

:laugh:

[font="Verdana"]The book is by Terry Pratchett, and it was supposed to become a movie, but I believe the movie process has stalled. Shame.[/font]

I didn't know about plans for a film - could be awesome since I really enjoyed the book.

The co-writer was Neil Gaiman IIRC.

This is one of the few books I have actually laughed out loud when reading. I especially enjoy what War does for a living (I won't ruin it, but quite funny).

Gaby

• GilaMonster (7/15/2009)

A friend sent me this, I thought people here might get a laugh out of it.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/720108ee-0a9c-4090-b62d-bbd5cb1a7605

I can only imagine how hard it was for the MS support engineer answering the question to keep a straight face...LOL If the original question was genuine and not a joke, I weep for the world.

Gaby

• Oh this is fun....

Got back from shopping, booted my computer and SQL wouldn't start. Checked the error log.

The log scan number (47:112:1) passed to log scan in database 'model' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup.

Now, where's my installation disk...... :Whistling:

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • My favorite Terry Prachett book is "The Fifth Elephant." Poor Vimes... my next favorite after that would be the book about Death.

I don't remember which book it is from, but I fondly recall the little bit about dwarves being able to turn lead into gold.

Person - "Dwarves can turn lead into gold..."

Dwarves - "We can?"

Person - "If you could, would you tell anyone?"

Dwarves - "Well... no..."

Person - "Ah ha!!!!!!"

So much wrong and yet so much right about that little interchange. 🙂

-- Kit

• Steve, funky display going on inthis thread.

And Gail, that was hilarious. I particularly liked the proof in the comments showing that the inverse was true, and that more data = less weight. Wonder how much the Thread doesn't weigh?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (7/15/2009)

Steve, funky display going on inthis thread.

The columns were compressed to remove unnecessary weight.

😎

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Kit G (7/15/2009)

My favorite Terry Prachett book is "The Fifth Elephant." Poor Vimes... my next favorite after that would be the book about Death.

I don't remember which book it is from, but I fondly recall the little bit about dwarves being able to turn lead into gold.

Dwarves - "We can?"

Person - "Ah ha!!!!!!"

Another great quote is: "The intelligence of the creature known as a crowd, is the square root of the number of people in it."

Gaby

• Kit G (7/15/2009)

My favorite Terry Prachett book is "The Fifth Elephant." Poor Vimes... my next favorite after that would be the book about Death.

Dwarves - "We can?"

Person - "Ah ha!!!!!!"

It's from The Truth.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Gaby Abed (7/15/2009)

Kit G (7/15/2009)

Dwarves - "We can?"

Person - "Ah ha!!!!!!"

Another great quote is: "The intelligence of the creature known as a crowd, is the square root of the number of people in it."

My favorite is: "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

There are a whole bunch here.[/url]

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Phenomenal, cosmic powers....itty, bitty living space.

• jcrawf02 (7/15/2009)

Steve, funky display going on inthis thread.

No idea, what's wrong there. Usually it's an embedded HTML code, but I don't see on there. Definitely something weird.

• Grant Fritchey (7/14/2009)

I hate to pop everyone's bubble, but wasn't it established a while back that the 666 number is either a mistranslation or a bad copying job and tha thte actual number is either 615, 616 or 665? In which case, if it's either of the first two, we passed it a while back.

Actually 666 is the first three same digit number that is impossible in sexagesimal numbering system. Think of the hours: you can have 1:11, 2:22, 3:33...5:55 but not 6:66 etc.

• rf44 (7/15/2009)

Grant Fritchey (7/14/2009)

I hate to pop everyone's bubble, but wasn't it established a while back that the 666 number is either a mistranslation or a bad copying job and tha thte actual number is either 615, 616 or 665? In which case, if it's either of the first two, we passed it a while back.

Actually 666 is the first three same digit number that is impossible in sexagesimal numbering system. Think of the hours: you can have 1:11, 2:22, 3:33...5:55 but not 6:66 etc.

Sure you can. You just have to break the rules a little bit. Used to know a guy who always told people he was six-foot-fourteen. He wasn't wrong, just unconventional.

Property of The Thread

• I got a short email from Bob Hovious today. He says he's doing ok and for me to say hello to everyone, so ....

On Bob's behalf: Hello everyone.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• My Twitter account just got suspended for suspected abuse. I wasn't abusing anything. This stinks. According to the documentation, they can suspend it for up to 30 days.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 6,691 through 6,705 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply