Are the posted questions getting worse?

• If you're going to tell them they're not posting right then it would be a good idea if you could give them the link to the information about the right way to post.

Nahhh...... I'm feeling too lazy. 😉

And Jeff.... your comment to the gentleman himself was brief and to the point as always. 😀

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• . (7/22/2009)

If you're going to tell them they're not posting right then it would be a good idea if you could give them the link to the information about the right way to post.

Nahhh...... I'm feeling too lazy.

Understand the feelng, plus he knew it wasn't the correct way to post, so why take the time to point him to the way to do it.

• Hey Lynn,

I'm about to head out to lunch. I sent you and Matt the solution though.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I'd still prefer you ask them to try and solve it, or post some work.

No problem, Steve. I like that plan. I'm excited to be a part of it.

• Did a "certain" antagonistic, twitter-impaired poster get whacked again? I was reading a bit of some offensive rubbish yesterday which seems to have been removed.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• . (7/22/2009)

If you're going to tell them they're not posting right then it would be a good idea if you could give them the link to the information about the right way to post.

Nahhh...... I'm feeling too lazy. 😉

And Jeff.... your comment to the gentleman himself was brief and to the point as always. 😀

Pork chops are getting expensive. Figured one that was really well aimed and thrown very hard would do the trick. Obviously, it killed the OP because he didn't get the hint.

BTW, here's the solution I came up with on that little problem... thought I'd share just to add pork chop to injury... 😛

--===== Create the test data that the OP didn't...

DECLARE @Table2 TABLE

(NewPartno INT, OldPartno INT, Sno INT)

INSERT INTO @Table2

(NewPartno, OldPartno, Sno)

SELECT 1,3,1 UNION ALL

SELECT 1,3,2 UNION ALL

SELECT 1,3,3 UNION ALL

SELECT 1,3,4 UNION ALL

SELECT 2,3,5 UNION ALL

SELECT 3,3,6 UNION ALL

SELECT 1,3,7 UNION ALL

SELECT 1,3,8 UNION ALL

SELECT 2,3,9 UNION ALL

SELECT 2,3,10

--===== Solve the problem

;WITH

cteGroup AS

(

SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY Sno)

- ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY NewPartNo,OldPartNo ORDER BY Sno) AS MyGroup,

FROM @Table2

)

SELECT OldPartNo,

Sno = CAST(MIN(Sno) AS VARCHAR(10)) + '-'

+ CAST(MAX(Sno) AS VARCHAR(10))

FROM cteGroup

WHERE NewPartNo = 1

GROUP BY OldPartNo,MyGroup

Works fine, fails "safe", and drains to the bilge... :hehe: Nasty fast to boot.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• jcrawf02 (7/22/2009)

Someone at work put this in their sig, which instantly made me want to "accidentally" spill hot coffee on them . . . thought the gang would enjoy

"He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper." - Edmund Burke

BWAA-HAAA!!! My response to that would be "He that mistakes 'Shut Up' for 'Stand Up', makes a better pork chop target." 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• GilaMonster (7/22/2009)

...Does anyone really know their deadlocks well? This one has me stumped (though I admit I have not examined the exec plan in detail)

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic755658-360-1.aspx

Gail, have you seen this link? I'm still parsing it but wondering if it may apply to your deadlock issue. It's regarding how to use %%lockres%%. But then again, I'm thinking it may be a solution to a more specific problem than you're facing.

Gaby

• Yeah, I have.

It turns out that the insert that's deadlocking is not the only insert in the transaction, which turns the deadlock from inexplicable to quite expected. Should have checked earlier, not working at 100% at the moment.

What was bugging me about that deadlock was that the deadlock was on a parent table to the one been inserted. Sure, SQL's got to check that there's a matching value for the foreign key, but that should be a shared lock, not exclusive. Seeing as there's inserts into the parent earlier in the tran, now it makes sense that the lock is exclusive.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hey Gail,

Being completely clueless as to facts on the ground, I have to ask.

There was a report on the radio of very severe rioting in SA. You OK?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (7/23/2009)

There was a report on the radio of very severe rioting in SA.

There is?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (7/23/2009)

Grant Fritchey (7/23/2009)

There was a report on the radio of very severe rioting in SA.

There is?

Well, that answers the question. And it also puts forward a second: Why on earth do I listen to NPR?

Actually the answer to that one is easy, because it beats listening to Imus (BLLLLLAAAARRRRFFFFFF).

Sorry.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Just checked out the local news. There have been some riots in Mpumalanga, the province to the east of where I live and also in the Western Cape, mostly in the informal settlements. They're protesting over poor service delivery and it's been going on for months. Don't know why it's in your news now.

Basically the government promised free housing, electricity and clean water as part of their election promises, and the people feel that they're not producing results fast enough. I can fully understand their protests, they were promised things that are not been delivered but, at the same time, there's so much of a culture of entitlement among some. They believe that free houses, electricity and water are their right.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (7/23/2009)

Just checked out the local news. There have been some riots in Mpumalanga, the province to the east of where I live and also in the Western Cape, mostly in the informal settlements. They're protesting over poor service delivery and it's been going on for months. Don't know why it's in your news now.

Basically the government promised free housing, electricity and clean water as part of their election promises, and the people feel that they're not producing results fast enough. I can fully understand their protests, they were promised things that are not been delivered but, at the same time, there's so much of a culture of entitlement among some. They believe that free houses, electricity and water are their right.

Yeah, it does seem like a larger & larger percentage of the population are becoming dependent on a smaller & smaller percentage to just give them everything.

What was that book, I think it was Fred Pohl, the "Space Merchants" (maybe?) that projected this into the future where a few tens of thousands run everything on the planet for all the other billions who get free food, free housing, flash toys, important titles, etc., until this salesman from the 20th century wakes up from being frozen or something and convinces the masses to migrate to the stars... Funny book on a not so funny subject.

Actually, thinking about it, it's somewhat applicable to the original question on The Thread.

• Free houses? Never heard of such a thing.

Glad to hear you're not involved in rioting.

Now, to get back to the off-topic-ness of the thread . . .

Anybody use ergonomic keyboards/mice? I just finally decided to try and wonder ow why people don't emphasize it more, it's been several weeks since I went home with my hands/wrists hurting.

I've been using the MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard, which has as the main selling point (for me, anyway) the vertical rise that angles your forearms. Got ahold of a mouse that does the same once I noticed that I still had to pronate my forearm to use a regular mouse; Evoluent vertical mouse 3 rev 2, and *love* it.

wondered if anybody else was using same/similar toys.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 6,826 through 6,840 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply