Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I keep waiting for my employer to buy into the chairs with the Ergo KB/M combos in the arms... something like what this patent filing amounts to...

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5311210.html

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Is that the bent, Natural shape keyboard with the two halves separated? I tried those, but since I use my left index for "y", it didn't work for me.

I have a "comfort 4000" wireless keyboard, but it started to miss a few keys, and it bugged me. I went to a traditional Logitech, and it works OK. About half my typing is on it, the other half on a laptop, and a small percentage on the netbook.

Ergonomics are important. My wife has her keyboard on the desk, and that needs to be changed. Actually, perhaps I'll look for a shelf today for her while she's out of town. It tightens her shoulders and back. I have a shelf below the desk, chair up high, basically typing above me thighs and it works well.

• Grant Fritchey (7/23/2009)

Yeah, it does seem like a larger & larger percentage of the population are becoming dependent on a smaller & smaller percentage to just give them everything.

On the flip side, these are people living in abject poverty. No jobs or only casual labour, minimal or no skills, minimal or no education, living in shacks made of corrugated iron or discarded wooden planks. It's not a small number either, maybe 4-5% of the entire country's population.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15653308

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/726531

To make matters worse, many of the government contractors who are supposed to be building those houses are lining their own pockets with the government's money.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Luke L (7/23/2009)

I keep waiting for my employer to buy into the chairs with the Ergo KB/M combos in the arms... something like what this patent filing amounts to...

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5311210.html

Damn, I was actually thinking about trying something like this . . .

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (7/23/2009)

Free houses? Never heard of such a thing.

Glad to hear you're not involved in rioting.

Now, to get back to the off-topic-ness of the thread . . .

Anybody use ergonomic keyboards/mice? I just finally decided to try and wonder ow why people don't emphasize it more, it's been several weeks since I went home with my hands/wrists hurting.

I've been using the MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard, which has as the main selling point (for me, anyway) the vertical rise that angles your forearms. Got ahold of a mouse that does the same once I noticed that I still had to pronate my forearm to use a regular mouse; Evoluent vertical mouse 3 rev 2, and *love* it.

wondered if anybody else was using same/similar toys.

I've been using ergo keyboards since the early 90s and am very happy with them.

I use a trackball instead of a mouse, becuase a trackball involves almost no wrist motion at all, just thumb motion (I use a thumb-ball instead of a finger-ball).

Started using them because I was doing a lot of typing. I used to type 100-120 words/minute (way above average), but I found that I was down to about 60 WPM after about half an hour of typing, because my hands and wrists were getting tired. So I bought an ergo keyboard and tried it out. Took a few hours to get used to, and a few days to get up to full speed on it, but it meant that my speed started at about 120 and went down to 80-90 after an hour, and stayed there the rest of the day. That was enough of an improvement by itself.

A few years later (late 90s), I was working in a lumber yard and ended up with a permanent injury to my right wrist. Made using a mouse or prolonged typing quite painful. That's when I switched to a trackball. I can use a mouse for about 10 minutes without severe pain, but anything beyond that and it hurts, a lot. I can use a finger trackball for an hour or so and then end up in mild pain. I can use a thumb trackball all day with only mild discomfort.

Currently, using the MS 4000 line of keyboards. Mild discomfort from a few minutes of typing, mild pain from a few hours, and I can maintain 80 WPM all day. Regular keyboards are painful after about half an hour. Using a Microsoft ergo trackball that they don't make any more, but I have a few spares in original packaging in a closet at home, so I'm good to go on that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/23/2009)

Is that the bent, Natural shape keyboard with the two halves separated? I tried those, but since I use my left index for "y", it didn't work for me.

I have a "comfort 4000" wireless keyboard, but it started to miss a few keys, and it bugged me. I went to a traditional Logitech, and it works OK. About half my typing is on it, the other half on a laptop, and a small percentage on the netbook.

Ergonomics are important. My wife has her keyboard on the desk, and that needs to be changed. Actually, perhaps I'll look for a shelf today for her while she's out of town. It tightens her shoulders and back. I have a shelf below the desk, chair up high, basically typing above me thighs and it works well.

Yes, that's the one, two halves separated. It's taking me a bit to get used to the keystrokes myself, although my alpha keys are ok, I usually cheat on function keys, etc. worth re-training to avoid pain.

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GSquared (7/23/2009)I've been using ergo keyboards since the early 90s and am very happy with them.

I use a trackball instead of a mouse, becuase a trackball involves almost no wrist motion at all, just thumb motion (I use a thumb-ball instead of a finger-ball).Currently, using the MS 4000 line of keyboards. Mild discomfort from a few minutes of typing, mild pain from a few hours, and I can maintain 80 WPM all day. Regular keyboards are painful after about half an hour. Using a Microsoft ergo trackball that they don't make any more, but I have a few spares in original packaging in a closet at home, so I'm good to go on that.

Wondered about the trackball, and think a thumball would be much preferable, but the vertical mouse is quite good, and I'm actually moving with no wrist action, it's all upper arm really.

• Don't have an ergonmoic mouse, but I have been using an ergonomic keyboard for 10 years. Love the keyboard and can't stand when I have to use someone else's PC and they have a normal keyboard.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I use Logitech for both keyboard and mouse. Got the logitech G11 keyboard. Lovely keyboard, very large but quite flat and very soft touch. i barely have to touch the keys for the keystroke to be registered. Then got the MX Revolution Laser mouse. It's a huge mouse, I can rest my hand completely on it and, with my forearm flat on the desk I have my wrist straight. I can't use the very small mice, they aggravate an old aikido injury.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Works fine, fails "safe", and drains to the bilge... [Hehe] Nasty fast to boot.

Same principle, but much quicker than my solution for sure. Nice clean piece of code, Jeff. You should post it up for the OP, now that he has formatted his data correctly, instead of me posting mine.

Crawfish! (Sorry, jcrawf02, I love to make up nicknames.)

I switched to 1-piece curved keyboards several years back and after a couple of weeks my wrists quit hurting and I never looked back. Still use a regular mouse though.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• . (7/22/2009)

I obviously missed out on SO much by being born too soon.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh C'thulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Well yeah. There really wasn't much to do before the Internet. You could 1) drink too much, 2) play role-playing games, or 3) use dial-up Bulletin Board systems in a pathetic attempt to pre-emulate the Internet. But mostly we just sat around waiting for someone to invent the Internet.

😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Grant Fritchey (7/23/2009)

GilaMonster (7/23/2009)

Grant Fritchey (7/23/2009)

There was a report on the radio of very severe rioting in SA.

There is?

Well, that answers the question. And it also puts forward a second: Why on earth do I listen to NPR?

Actually the answer to that one is easy, because it beats listening to Imus (BLLLLLAAAARRRRFFFFFF).

Right. And actually, NPR is just about all I ever listen to anymore and just like you said Grant, the answer is easy. NPR is far from perfect and has many flaws, on a scale of 10, I would give it a 6 or 7. Unfortunately, everything else is a 2.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• So how come they don't sell PC's with ergo keyboards to start?

Or, if I may be allowed to get crazy here, why do we need a damn keyboard (or mouse?) anyway? Similar to the chair with the keyboard built in, if we can create a new input device that just reads your fingers, you don't have anything, and can just sit with your hands on the armrest/in your lap.

Ironman display sort of thing, Microsoft Natal[/url] + autoCad + holographic display (although the display would work on a regular screen to, methinks). If the computer could "see" which fingers you're moving and what extension your fingers are reaching, it could extrapolate keystrokes. Much like this, where the keyboard isn't really there.

And then maybe there is a better, more 'natural' way to learn to type when you're not restricted to QWERTY keyboards?

• RBarryYoung (7/23/2009)

. (7/22/2009)

I obviously missed out on SO much by being born too soon.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh C'thulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Well yeah. There really wasn't much to do before the Internet. You could 1) drink to much, 2) play role-playing games, or 3) use dial-up Bulletin Board systems in a pathetic attempt to pre-emulate the Internet. But mostly we just sat around waiting for someone to invent the Internet.

😀

Or dial up, stick the phone in the modem cradle, run the ticker tape through, and start playing golf on the honeywell system.

And see the output on the dot matrix printer.

A phone you had to dial - they disappeared along with paper straws.

Now I feel really old....

Greg E

• Greg Edwards (7/23/2009)A phone you had to dial - they disappeared along with paper straws.

Now I feel really old....

Greg E

I was looking for a rotary dial phone a while ago as a nostalgia item, and couldn't find any. They have lots that *look* like rotary, but have push buttons instead.

Did anybody else catch the NPR report where some scottish teenager reviewed the original 'Walkman' using cassettes, and talked about it like it was ancient history? Took him two days to figure out you have to turn the tape over.

Viewing 15 posts - 6,841 through 6,855 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply