Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jcrawf02 (7/23/2009)

So how come they don't sell PC's with ergo keyboards to start?

Or, if I may be allowed to get crazy here, why do we need a damn keyboard (or mouse?) anyway? Similar to the chair with the keyboard built in, if we can create a new input device that just reads your fingers, you don't have anything, and can just sit with your hands on the armrest/in your lap.

Ironman display sort of thing, Microsoft Natal[/url] + autoCad + holographic display (although the display would work on a regular screen to, methinks). If the computer could "see" which fingers you're moving and what extension your fingers are reaching, it could extrapolate keystrokes. Much like this, where the keyboard isn't really there.

And then maybe there is a better, more 'natural' way to learn to type when you're not restricted to QWERTY keyboards?

Remember, the QWERTY keyboard was designed to slow dow typist on those old fashioned typewriters. There is a different keyboard out there, DORVAK (?), that would actully make typing on a computer easier and faster, but it just didn't win over enough people. I'm sure you can still find it some where, but I have never even seen one.

• It's DVORAK. I tried learning it once. It was so painful. I don't think about typing any more but I had to on that keyboard. It was too painful. I switched back.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• And that is probably why it never gained much popularity.

• I use the MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 split keyboard (not the wireless one) and I love it, been using them since the late 90s. Any time I type on a standard keyboard now it feels squished and very uncomfortable. Took me a few days to get used to it and I cheat when it comes to numbers since I never really got touch-typing numbers down.

For a mouse, I use the Logitech Marble Mouse at work and the Logitech TrackMan Optical at home. Due to minor nerve damage to my thumb from an operation, I can't operate a thumb trackball easily. I have a very minor shake to the thumb, never notice it for anything expect delicate movement, like using a mouse. So it's finger trackballs for me. The TrackMan, aside from it being wireless, I like. Had the mouse lose its connection one time as I rebooted my computer, was annoying getting the connection back so the mouse would work.

Speaking of ergonomic mice, does anyone remember when touch pads were the thing? Anyone use a PowerCat Touch Pad?

If you can do the switch, I highly recommend the split keyboard. Makes typing much more comfortable.

Of course, the other side benefit at work is that no one else can use my computer because the trackball throws them off and they get flustered by the keyboard. :hehe:

-- Kit

• If you don't like QWERTY, try this - http://gizmodo.com/275582/

I love touchpads. Always use the touchpad on a laptop rather than packing a mouse and I have a fair-sized graphics tablet which, admittedly, I mostly use for graphics

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Another completely off-topic post.

My 11 year old is starting to discover books (YAY! Finally). He just tore through Zelazny's "Damnation Alley." I need more in this vein. Any recommendations?

Also, he's fascinated with the concept of zombies, although he's never seen a movie (way too young) or read any other book on it. Any one know a young reader's book on zombies?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• jcrawf02 (7/23/2009)

I was looking for a rotary dial phone a while ago as a nostalgia item, and couldn't find any. They have lots that *look* like rotary, but have push buttons instead.

Did anybody else catch the NPR report where some scottish teenager reviewed the original 'Walkman' using cassettes, and talked about it like it was ancient history? Took him two days to figure out you have to turn the tape over.

Wait, he didn't have one with Auto-Reverse?

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (7/23/2009)

jcrawf02 (7/23/2009)

I was looking for a rotary dial phone a while ago as a nostalgia item, and couldn't find any. They have lots that *look* like rotary, but have push buttons instead.

Did anybody else catch the NPR report where some scottish teenager reviewed the original 'Walkman' using cassettes, and talked about it like it was ancient history? Took him two days to figure out you have to turn the tape over.

I wonder what he'd say if he saw all my vinyl albums! 😉

• I haven't been as active on the forums, except this thread, lately because of vacation and catching up at work. I'm working in ASP.NET MVC and having to actually start to learn javascript beyond alert("hi").

Now a question, anyone on the thread ever been involved in a GiveCamp? I work at a non-profit and having learned about them through twitter. I might be interested in putting one together for my area, hopefully to benefit my organization, and I'm wondering about people's experiences and if you've been involved in organizing one.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

I haven't been as active on the forums, except this thread, lately because of vacation and catching up at work. I'm working in ASP.NET MVC and having to actually start to learn javascript beyond alert("hi").

Now a question, anyone on the thread ever been involved in a GiveCamp? I work at a non-profit and having learned about them through twitter. I might be interested in putting one together for my area, hopefully to benefit my organization, and I'm wondering about people's experiences and if you've been involved in organizing one.

Interesting idea. I'm going to mention this to both the local .NET User Group and the local PASS Chapter to see if anyone might be interested.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Congrats on your kid learning about books! Zelazny's Amber series might be a good. I haven't read Damnation Alley but I've read a bunch of his other stuff. I enjoyed "My Name is Legion" and "Lord of Light" although that one might be a bit rough at 11 years old. I read "Lord of Light" when I was around 16 I think.

Can't help you much on zombie books though. Dracula, yes. (Saberhagen's series about Dracula is a must read for Dracula lovers as "The Dracula Tape" is Bram Stoker's "Dracula" from Dracula's viewpoint, very good reading as are the others in the series.)

-- Kit

jcrawf02 (7/23/2009)

No, but he did have one with dual headphone jacks. Was that standard? I seem to think it was an add-on. Maybe I'm just misremembering

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Grant Fritchey (7/23/2009)

Any one know a young reader's book on zombies?

I couldn't resist googling that, and came up with this:

http://www.monsterlibrarian.com/zombiesya.htm

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Kit G (7/23/2009)

Congrats on your kid learning about books! Zelazny's Amber series might be a good. I haven't read Damnation Alley but I've read a bunch of his other stuff. I enjoyed "My Name is Legion" and "Lord of Light" although that one might be a bit rough at 11 years old. I read "Lord of Light" when I was around 16 I think.

Can't help you much on zombie books though. Dracula, yes. (Saberhagen's series about Dracula is a must read for Dracula lovers as "The Dracula Tape" is Bram Stoker's "Dracula" from Dracula's viewpoint, very good reading as are the others in the series.)

Thanks. It took him long enough. I read "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" when I was eight. Nothing has been the same since.

Have you been sneaking into my house at night?

All the Zelazny & Saberhagen books you mentioned are there. Most of those are still a little old for him. I want something just as rollicking as Damnation Alley and preferably in the post-apocalypse genre (if possible). Anyone remember Wolf and Iron by Gordon R Dickson? Was it fast or slow? I read it, but I think it was 30 years ago.

• jcrawf02 (7/23/2009)

Grant Fritchey (7/23/2009)

Any one know a young reader's book on zombies?

I couldn't resist googling that, and came up with this:

http://www.monsterlibrarian.com/zombiesya.htm

Excellent. Although it looks like they're a bit girl oriented...

Viewing 15 posts - 6,856 through 6,870 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply