Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeffrey Williams (7/24/2009)

I wonder what it says about me that I actually enjoy reading all of these books that are supposedly targeted at teens? :hehe:

That you have better taste than most editors?

Since we've strayed from zombie themes, how about the 'Percy Jones and the Olympians' series? I have only read the first, but loved it, can't wait to pick up the rest.

Synopsis: Greek mythology is alive and well, and it's *pissed off at you*!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• By the way Gail, never officially thanked you (thank you, thank you, thank you!) for the link to Leigh's WOT Re-read. Unfortunately I caught up with her, so now I have to wait between posts, but excellent stuff!

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Mr. ".", I had the first 2 books and just checked my library and they are no longer with me. You can get them on Amazon though. I may buy them.

Jeffrey, I love 'em all too! I think it means we need to give our brains a break and have an easy read. Also, I think it means that we have never really grown up. This seems to be a male thing, though, most of the ladies I know like to read "grown-up" books.

JC,

My brother gave me the series when I was like 9. I devoured them. When I got the first one for my daughter(10) she LOVED it. Read it in about 4 hours. She loves to read. As a matter of fact sometimes she gets herself into trouble because she reads when she is supposed to be doing something else.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/24/2009)

Just consulted my 13 year old son, an avid reader (actually all three of my children are avid readers, they go through books quicker than I get to change underwear :w00t:), so he came up with the following list of fantasy books he thinks are good to read and not too difficult for an 11 year old:

Eoin Colfer: Artemis Fowl and Half Moon Investigations

Paul Stewart: Edge Chronicles (start with The Curse of the Gloamglizer)

Anthony Horowitz: Storm Breaker and Ravens Gate

Val Tyler: The Time Wreccas

Joseph Delaney: The Spook's Apprentice

What amazes me a bit is that the name of Jules Verne hasn't surfaced yet. Isn't he too popular in the Anglo Saxon World coz he was a Frog :-)? His books may be a bit dated, but I tore through those when I was somewhere between 12 and 14. Didn't particularly like "Around the World in 80 Days", and Jacky Chan as a parody of a Chinese as Passepartout didn't convince me otherwise. But books like "From the Earth to the Moon", "Voyage to the Centre of the Earth" (I think it was called), and especially "Twentythousand Leagues Under the Sea" (where the first nuclear sub in the US Navy got its name from) and "The Mysterious Island", those were fabulous. Kept me reading many a night underneath the blanket with a torch so mom wouldn't notice.

I'll have to check those out. I screen books for my kids, plus I just like to read them.

Love Jules Verne. Never read the From the Earth to the Moon. More books to read!

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jeffrey Williams (7/24/2009)

I wonder what it says about me that I actually enjoy reading all of these books that are supposedly targeted at teens? :hehe:

I'm the same. I find most of them light, easy reading that I can get through in an evening or two.

Some recommendations from my bookshelf:

The young wizard's series by Diane Duane. Title of the first is "So you want to be a wizard". After book 4 they start getting a little darker and dealing with slightly more adult themes (book 5 is all about a death in the family). They are excellent books.

The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. Title of the first is "Over Sea and Under Stone". Old, but good. The 2nd was converted to a movie recently, but is was a rather bad conversion.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • jcrawf02 (7/24/2009)

By the way Gail, never officially thanked you (thank you, thank you, thank you!) for the link to Leigh's WOT Re-read.

Pleasure. I love her writing style.

I'm way behind, I tend to read 2 or 3 and then leave them for a couple weeks. I'm part-way through book 5.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • jcrawf02 (7/24/2009)

Jeffrey Williams (7/24/2009)

That you have better taste than most editors?

Since we've strayed from zombie themes, how about the 'Percy Jones and the Olympians' series? I have only read the first, but loved it, can't wait to pick up the rest.

Synopsis: Greek mythology is alive and well, and it's *pissed off at you*!

My daughter has started reading that.

She's the easy one. She started reading around age 5 and has been a book nut ever since. She's gone through Roald Dahl, Madeline L'Engle (sp?), JK Rowling, L. Frank Baum... She's starting to move to the teen stuff, so I suspect she'll be reading Twilight soon.

My son is the hard one.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• All my kids love to read. My middle daughter wants to be an author. She prefers fiction (sci/fi, fantasy) over non-fiction.

• forgot about Madeline L'Engle, good stuff. Lots of new directions within the same series.

• jcrawf02 (7/24/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/24/2009)

actually all three of my children are avid readers, they go through books quicker than I get to change underwear :w00t:

Think I speak for the group here when I say . . . yick . . . thanks for the imagery

Oh, no. Is my wife actually right when she complains about certain not-so-enjoyable odours? :w00t:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jules Verne! Jan, did you ever read "Robur the Conqueror" ??

I may have, but I can't consciously remember having done so. Then again, in German it may have had an entirely different title.

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Briefly away from literature... Went to collect some takeaway pizza at the beach front just now. On the way home there was a silver Audi A4 2.T driving in front of me whose owner's ego may well be slightly overinflated. Personalised license plate reads SQLGURU-WP :unsure:. Wonder who HE is?

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/24/2009)

Briefly away from literature... Went to collect some takeaway pizza at the beach front just now. On the way home there was a silver Audi A4 2.T driving in front of me whose owner's ego may well be slightly overinflated. Personalised license plate reads SQLGURU-WP :unsure:. Wonder who HE is?

I wonder what the WP means?

• Hey Jan,

Robur was like Captain Nemo, except that he had a giant airship instead of a submarine. I remember there being another story, possibly a sequel (pronounced sequel) called Master of the World.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Lynn Pettis (7/24/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/24/2009)

Briefly away from literature... Went to collect some takeaway pizza at the beach front just now. On the way home there was a silver Audi A4 2.T driving in front of me whose owner's ego may well be slightly overinflated. Personalised license plate reads SQLGURU-WP :unsure:. Wonder who HE is?

I wonder what the WP means?

Thought someone was gonna ask that but only realised after posting. OK, to clarify: all personalised license plates in the Western Cape Province in South Africa end with WP, i.e. Western Province, where Cape Town is the capital of. Just like Gail and her neighbours will most likely have a GP (Gauteng Province) at the end of theirs. Got yet another 7 provinces in the country, but I'll spare you the details. Already confusing enough having 11 official languages and riots over service delivery issues (mentioned earlier) to keep us busy for another 50 posts. Hey, actually, that could drive us past the 7000 posts mark.:hehe:

Viewing 15 posts - 6,931 through 6,945 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply