Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Roy,

Send me an announcement and I'll run it.(sjones at sqlservercentral)

One thing that I think helps is for you to get to know people, know what they're good at, and then "assign" them a topic. It takes some convincing, but if you focus them it's easier for them to actually get things done and get going.

You might even co-present with them, help them out if they get stuck, prevent annoying questions, etc.

For example, I'd ask Grant (if he weren't speaking), to put together a short thing on the execution plans visually. Talk about what the icons mean, how to turn it on, the estimate v the actual, just 30 minutes. It's not that long, and let them know if they're short (20 min), it isn't a problem.

• Grant Fritchey (7/27/2009)

Man, I'm clearly not doing things correctly.

Guess I'm more persuasive than you are... 😉

I've had to present twice a year for the last three years. I have the hardest time getting anyone, from the group or outside it, to present.

By the time the UG reached 12 months old, I'll have presented there three times. I decided to take the Oct session for a dry run of one of my PASS presentations, so I'm up there more than you.

The problem I have is that I don't have anyone outside the group. I can't ask a favour from the group 4 or so hours away, because there isn't one.

One nice thing is that my co-lead is a Microsoft PFE and so he has twice 'persuaded' his colleagues to volunteer, which helps.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Grant Fritchey (7/27/2009)

GilaMonster (7/27/2009)

Roy Ernest (7/27/2009)

Bill Wunder. He is the co founder of the group. 🙂 So it was easy to get the first speaker. But after 3 months, I am planning to get some other speaker from abroad. The first 3 or 4 meetings Me and Bill will take turn in giving seminars. 😀

Suggestion: Ask for volunteers from the attendees. It's as much their group as yours and pulling speakers from the members of the group will reduce the amount of times you have to speak (I've only done 2 since starting the local group last Oct, and my co-lead has only done a half-session) and will reduce the dependence on speakers from abroad that are not always going to be cheap or available.

Man, I'm clearly not doing things correctly. I've had to present twice a year for the last three years. I have the hardest time getting anyone, from the group or outside it, to present.

Roy, Congrats on starting the group. I agree that if you can get attendees to transition to speakers you will be in great shape. We always manage to get speakers here in Orlando, but it's not easy without going back to the same people on a regular basis.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get people to transition to speaker let me know as I am transitioning into the role of speaker provision in the Orlando group. Andy Warren (OPASS president) even offers a free 1 day Technical Speaking seminar on a regular basis and we can't seem to get folks to volunteer to speak.

Any of you all making a trip to Disney and interested in speaking let me know.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Steve, Richard is asking for some help here in closing his thread, he's done his penance and wants to be relieved. 😉

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I see we're quickly approaching the 7000 posts count.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I digress, but Zombies...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Hey Jack, Thanks.. 🙂

Hopefully I will be able to get some of the attendees to give a seminar as well. Or join forces with someone and do a session just to clear them of their Road blocks if they have any..

🙂

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (7/27/2009)

Or join forces with someone and do a session just to clear them of their Road blocks if they have any..

🙂

I'll bet if you pay expenses you'll get more speakers than the session can handle - IMO 😉

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Yes, I agree with you. I think we might have a corporate sponsor soon. I will know for sure in a month. 🙂 If that works out, I am sure I will be able to take care of expenses for the speakers.:-D

-Roy

• Getting back to unusual license plates

The best vanity plate I've heard about is CASH on a Rolls Royce.

Observed a Silver Cloud Rolls Royce moving down the road with a blonde haired woman driver, a beautiful face and the license plate read

WAS HIS, guess that about summed up that situation.

My own plate for years was IDUNNO .... lost it when moving to Ohio, already in use, oh well

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Roy Ernest (7/27/2009)

Yes, I agree with you. I think we might have a corporate sponsor soon. I will know for sure in a month. 🙂 If that works out, I am sure I will be able to take care of expenses for the speakers.:-D

Uh, I'm thinking air-fare, hotel, food, etc.... Gail coming in from SA, Steve from the US, heck, even me! 😀

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• My younger sister had plates that read IODADDY or something like that. I always read them as 'I/O Daddy' like some sort of nifty geek hipster, not 'I owe daddy' as in my parents floated loans to my sisters that I never would have saw.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I have plates with "GSQRD" on them. Nobody here will ever figure that one out! :hehe:

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• tosscrosby (7/27/2009)

Roy Ernest (7/27/2009)

Yes, I agree with you. I think we might have a corporate sponsor soon. I will know for sure in a month. 🙂 If that works out, I am sure I will be able to take care of expenses for the speakers.:-D

Uh, I'm thinking air-fare, hotel, food, etc.... Gail coming in from SA, Steve from the US, heck, even me! 😀

I think the company will shell out money if they think that the developers here can gain from it. It all depends..:-)

BTW, Congrats to everyone participating in THE THREAD. We have hit 7000 + posts.:-D

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (7/27/2009)

tosscrosby (7/27/2009)

I think the company will shell out money if they think that the developers here can gain from it. It all depends..:-)

Have you asked about limits an what they're willing to spend money on? I haven't found a corporate sponsor willing to fork out more than pizzas and maybe some goodies for a meeting. No way in hell would any sponsor in my neck of the woods (even Microsoft) be willing to fork out $2000+ just for a speaker. Especially not in the current economic climate.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 6,991 through 7,005 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply