Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (7/27/2009)

No. Frank Herbert's "The Santaroga Barrier" shows the LSD thing. Or peyote. Shouldn't combine either with Sci-Fi or you'll end up dead in the 1980s, I guess. :w00t:

No, you get a horrible film done of your best work, be involved in the making of the film and die (of embarrassment?) before it's released. But I'm sure the LSD or whatever he was smoking didn't help.

By the way, if you haven't figured it out, I didn't like the first movie they did of Dune that started Sting. Sting did a good job of playing Feyd but the rest of the movie... well... ugh. 'Nuff said.

Haven't watched much of the SciFi mini-series that was made. (And the name change to SyFy? WTF? Are the execs there smoking the same stuff Herbert was?)

-- Kit

• Kit G (7/27/2009)

GilaMonster (7/26/2009)

Prices here range from R10 000 to R550, depending exactly what you ask for and what province you are in.

ITDPNDS may not be allowed in the US, but it is here. We're allowed up to 7 alpha-numeric characters, followed by the 2 letter province code.

While most states only need 6 letters on their license plates, if you're in California or New York state, you can have 7. As far as I know (and I could be dead wrong on this one as I'm not an expert on license plates) those are the only two states that have needed to go to over 6 characters to uniquely identify cars.

In California, vanity plates are a dime a dozen, it's an extra 20 or 30 bucks on your registration. It's a yearly fee, but considering that most people move every 2-5 years, if you move out of state you'll have to re-register your car (I have a small collection of license plates from re-registering my car from all my moves. Most states don't require that you turn in your prior plates) and there's the chance that your vanity plate will already be in use.

The best vanity plate I've heard about is CASH on a Rolls Royce.

PA will also let you use 7 letters and a space or hyphen that doesn't count towards your 7 letter usage.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Hey All,

I have been AWOL for a very long time. I have been very busy setting up the Curacao SQL pass chapter. At last we are open to the whole world. 🙂 I feel like I have acheived something. Our first chapter meeting will be in August. Yea.....

I would love to hear your comments on our basic web site. I don't know if I can put an URL here. I am not sure about the site rules here. So if it is OK by Steve I would love to post my sites URL here so that I can get feedback from everyone.

😀

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (7/27/2009)

I have been very busy setting up the Curacao SQL pass chapter. At last we are open to the whole world. 🙂

Woot. Congrats. Who you got lined up as first speaker?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Bill Wunder. He is the co founder of the group. 🙂 So it was easy to get the first speaker. But after 3 months, I am planning to get some other speaker from abroad. The first 3 or 4 meetings Me and Bill will take turn in giving seminars. 😀

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (7/27/2009)

Bill Wunder. He is the co founder of the group. 🙂 So it was easy to get the first speaker. But after 3 months, I am planning to get some other speaker from abroad. The first 3 or 4 meetings Me and Bill will take turn in giving seminars. 😀

Congratulations! That's fantastic! Well done.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Roy Ernest (7/27/2009)

Bill Wunder. He is the co founder of the group. 🙂 So it was easy to get the first speaker. But after 3 months, I am planning to get some other speaker from abroad. The first 3 or 4 meetings Me and Bill will take turn in giving seminars. 😀

Suggestion: Ask for volunteers from the attendees. It's as much their group as yours and pulling speakers from the members of the group will reduce the amount of times you have to speak (I've only done 2 since starting the local group last Oct, and my co-lead has only done a half-session) and will reduce the dependence on speakers from abroad that are not always going to be cheap or available.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Roy Ernest (7/27/2009)

Hey All,

I have been AWOL for a very long time. I have been very busy setting up the Curacao SQL pass chapter. At last we are open to the whole world. 🙂 I feel like I have acheived something. Our first chapter meeting will be in August. Yea.....

I would love to hear your comments on our basic web site. I don't know if I can put an URL here. I am not sure about the site rules here. So if it is OK by Steve I would love to post my sites URL here so that I can get feedback from everyone.

😀

Welcome back!

Very cool on getting the group set up.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks Gail. All Advices and pointers are very much welcome.. 🙂

Yes, we are trying to get volunteers to speak as well. Maybe have a session with .NET developer talking about ORM is some thing I have in mind.

-Roy

• I'd suggest that you try shorter presentations. The Orlando and Denver groups will do a 30 minute "opening" for new presentations or speakers. Give them a chance to talk about something short, not a lot of work, and get some confidence.

• In my experience, the first one is the hardest. Once people see someone who's usually in the audience giving the presentation, they're a lot more willing to try it. Until then, most will have the mentality that speakers are something 'special' and 'different', that it's no something everyone can do.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (7/27/2009)

Roy Ernest (7/27/2009)

Suggestion: Ask for volunteers from the attendees. It's as much their group as yours and pulling speakers from the members of the group will reduce the amount of times you have to speak (I've only done 2 since starting the local group last Oct, and my co-lead has only done a half-session) and will reduce the dependence on speakers from abroad that are not always going to be cheap or available.

Man, I'm clearly not doing things correctly. I've had to present twice a year for the last three years. I have the hardest time getting anyone, from the group or outside it, to present.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Congratulations Roy. I had the pleasure of being the co-founder of our local chapter just a few months ago.

As far as speakers are concerned, I have to agree with Steve and Gail. I'm trying to get myself prepared for my first presentation.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/27/2009)

I'd suggest that you try shorter presentations. The Orlando and Denver groups will do a 30 minute "opening" for new presentations or speakers.

I give potential speakers at my group a choice. A full 1 hour (approx) session, or do a 30 min and have a second speaker. So far we've had one meeting where we did have 2 half hour sessions and a second where we were supposed to have 2, but the second speaker didn't pitch (no warning, no apology), so the other guy managed to stretch his presentation out to almost an hour.

Gail Shaw

• Thank you all. We are planning on 45 minutes of presentation at the max. Not more than that. That will keep the group interested. Longer than that I think they will start feeling bored. Also the first half hour is kind of like an Introduction by everyone. 🙂

Steve, is it Ok if I put the URL here? I would like to get the feed back from everyone. We are just setting up the site. So the more ideas the better. 🙂

-Roy

Viewing 15 posts - 6,976 through 6,990 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply