Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I didn't think it was a good design, and not sure it really saved space, but I knew it would generate discussion. Lots of people, especially developers, think this way. It's good to let them get information out there and then debate it, and gently point out problems. I think the posters did a great job, and I added notes to the top and bottom of the article for people to read the discussion.

• I added notes to the top and bottom of the article for people to read the discussion.

That's a really good idea, Steve. Sometimes the amount of value in the discussion outweighs the value of the article itself.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Paul White (8/4/2009)

You can all relax in the knowledge that everything will be smaller and faster if we store it in XML rather than traditional relational structures.

[font="Verdana"]Whew! Thank goodness for that!

Of course, with SQL Server 2008's external file store, we can make our databases really small by storing all of our data as external files!

[/font]

• Or we could just go back to flat files. Screw relational AND hierarchical databases.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (8/4/2009)

Or we could just go back to flat files. Screw relational AND hierarchical databases.

[font="Verdana"]Here's a suggestion: we could come up with a better language for working with our flat files. It should be a business friendly language. So we could call it something like Common Business Oriented Language.

Edited because I can't spell.

[/font]

• Bruce W. Cassidy

It should be a business friendly language

Then we could develope a command called MOVE CORRESPONDING

to designate a set based operation.

And use something like PERFORM paragraph1 THRU paragraph2. when debugging,

Oh and so much more, oh gee oh golly oh gosh

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Bruce W Cassidy (8/4/2009)

Bob Hovious (8/4/2009)

Or we could just go back to flat files. Screw relational AND hierarchical databases.

[font="Verdana"]Here's a suggestion: we could come up with a better language for working with our flat files. It should be a business friendly language. So we could call it something like Common Busiess Oriented Language.[/font]

Shouldn't we also have some kind of Report Program Generation language as well?

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Bob Hovious (8/4/2009)

At least it wouldn't have tags in it. 😉 Well... unless it were EDI.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Guess everyone knew Gail was gone. Not many posts in the corruption forums.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (8/4/2009)

Guess everyone knew Gail was gone. Not many posts in the corruption forums.

Somehow, that just doesn't sound right. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Not going to quote them all but you guys are funny today!!!

Awesome work.

🙂

• Paul White (8/4/2009)

So...today's SSC newsletter - entitled {title} - features Gain Space Using XML Data

You can all relax in the knowledge that everything will be smaller and faster if we store it in XML rather than traditional relational structures.

I posted a script in the discussion thread*.

Paul

* Spolier Alert: XML turns out not to be smaller or faster at all :laugh:

Really? Did you Zip it first? ... And Last? ... 😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Hi Expertz,

Please help me with these posts............

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic763933-65-1.aspx

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic754722-65-1.aspx#bm757143

Tanx 😀

• I don't think this is a good behaviour.

I go through all new posts every day and I start from unanswered questions. If I don't add replies to a thread it's because I don't know the answer or the question is so poorly written that I don't even take the time to read it fully.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this thread is not a Bulletin Board for unanswered questions and personally I will never post a reply because somebody comes here looking for an answer.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/4/2009)

I didn't think it was a good design, and not sure it really saved space, but I knew it would generate discussion. Lots of people, especially developers, think this way. It's good to let them get information out there and then debate it, and gently point out problems. I think the posters did a great job, and I added notes to the top and bottom of the article for people to read the discussion.

And this is why I love coming here. Rather than try to supress the bad ideas you're giving them a really good airing. Let 'em out of the cage to be roundly thrashed as they deserve. Joking, sort of. But seriously, that's a big reason why I like this place. You'll intentionally publish questionable content because it will move the discussion forward by either supporting new ideas or educating people as to why some ideas are bad. Great stuff.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 7,156 through 7,170 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply