Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I'm not sure I know how to formulate a question that will help me help this guy. Anyone else want to jump in?

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Another one from the same guy. Not sure what he wants and asking the right questions is not my gift.

Jack Corbett

• And then you a question like this one.

• Jack, I think you have an OP who is lacking in the fundamentals as well as ESL-challenged.

Lynn, I'll say a little prayer for her tonight.

Grant, you and Gus did the right thing to warn him off from thinking UDFs are the equivalent of subroutines in procedural code.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob (and every one else), I appreciate it. You may want to include me, her mom, and sisters as well. I have a feeling we may not hear from Kassondra for several weeks. This may be harder than I think knowing we can't communicate with her for a while.

• Thinking of Kassondra as well, Lynn, and wishing her good luck. But as you should know, she's being taken care of by pro's who will not let any harm come to her. If she can't cope they will surely send her straight back home. Problem becomes when she passes Basics and then gets sent off to some place you wouldn't want to imagine her to be. Too many young folks have been killed in Afghanistan and Iraq in the last few years, and that's the last thing I would want any parent or sibling to have to come to terms with. I have three kids too, none in serving age yet, and I will strongly object if they ever dare coming up with the idea of joining the army, but then again, if they want to at age 18, there's no way I could really stop them.

As to not hearing from Kassondra for a while, I live far away from my parents as well and have for many years, and though the phone is always there to use I only phone them once a month or so and see them once in a blue moon. They are always happy to hear I'm OK, it seems more like they are missing me though. So feel comforted that your "little" girl is probably feeling the same way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• So...today's SSC newsletter - entitled {title} - features Gain Space Using XML Data

You can all relax in the knowledge that everything will be smaller and faster if we store it in XML rather than traditional relational structures.

I posted a script in the discussion thread*.

Paul

* Spolier Alert: XML turns out not to be smaller or faster at all :laugh:

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/4/2009)

Thinking of Kassondra as well, Lynn, and wishing her good luck. But as you should know, she's being taken care of by pro's who will not let any harm come to her. If she can't cope they will surely send her straight back home. Problem becomes when she passes Basics and then gets sent off to some place you wouldn't want to imagine her to be. Too many young folks have been killed in Afghanistan and Iraq in the last few years, and that's the last thing I would want any parent or sibling to have to come to terms with. I have three kids too, none in serving age yet, and I will strongly object if they ever dare coming up with the idea of joining the army, but then again, if they want to at age 18, there's no way I could really stop them.

As to not hearing from Kassondra for a while, I live far away from my parents as well and have for many years, and though the phone is always there to use I only phone them once a month or so and see them once in a blue moon. They are always happy to hear I'm OK, it seems more like they are missing me though. So feel comforted that your "little" girl is probably feeling the same way.

I know the dangers she may face having served myself (luckily I never had to worry about combat, just the threat of it). I also know she will make it, she is a strong-willed and determined individual. She will learn more about herself over the next few years just as I did about myself when I did. I do think it important to keep everyone who serves in any nations armed forces in their prayers and thoughts in todays world. We never know what may happen, but they are the ones who will put themselves in harms way for the rest of us.

I really think my asking this is more for me than her, know that there are others thinking and praying for her helps me cope easier. Sounds funny doesn't it?

• I really think my asking this is more for me than her, know that there are others thinking and praying for her helps me cope easier. Sounds funny doesn't it?

Nope, sounds like a parent. Particularly one who cares...

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (8/4/2009)

I really think my asking this is more for me than her, know that there are others thinking and praying for her helps me cope easier. Sounds funny doesn't it?

Nope, sounds like a parent. Particularly one who cares...

-Luke.

I'll second that. It just sounds like a loving parent. It's a good thing.

When next you talk to her, please tell her that I said "thank you". I always appreciate the sacrifices and risks that people take when they write that blank check to the USA and join the services.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Paul White (8/4/2009)

So...today's SSC newsletter - entitled {title} - features Gain Space Using XML Data

You can all relax in the knowledge that everything will be smaller and faster if we store it in XML rather than traditional relational structures.

I posted a script in the discussion thread*.

Paul

* Spolier Alert: XML turns out not to be smaller or faster at all :laugh:

Haven't read the article or discussion yet, but my first thought when I saw the title was "What? How? I don't think so." I always give the authors the benefit of the doubt until after I read the article though. Maybe in that specific situation that solution is best.

Jack Corbett

• Take a minute sometime to read it and the comments, Jack. I don't think he was comparing apples to apples.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• To the Artist formerly known as . formerly known as Bob Hovious,

I did read the article and, like I said, I reserved my judgement until reading the article. I was confident that Paul was correct. As I read the article my first thought was that I'd design the DB differently and that the author was missing the proper index for his example. I figured I didn't need to comment in the discussion because Paul and others had hit everything that needed to be covered.

Jack Corbett

• Bob Hovious (8/4/2009)

I don't think he was comparing apples to apples.

No, he got confused by sp_spaceUsed.

It really is interesting anyway.

Saving XML in tables and treating it as if it was a table always seemed to me like breaking 1NF, so I have never gone that way. I must admit that possibilities are great.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Love cppwiz's answer. LOL, wonder if the person ever did send the email.

Gaby

Viewing 15 posts - 7,141 through 7,155 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply