Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Bob Hovious (8/7/2009)

Thanks, Jack. I just tried to download it again and no luck. Sounds like a fun problem, maybe someone else can help the guy out.

It's fine in Firefox. See my attachment.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Paul White (8/8/2009)

GilaMonster (8/7/2009)

Anyone really know their way around replication?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic766992-146-1.aspx

Could the OP have made any less effort in that thread?

It's possible, difficult, but possible.

Here's another very terse question. I think I'm going to start matching the detail of answers to the detail of questions... Will probably backfire though.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic767374-149-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Paul White (8/8/2009)

GilaMonster (8/7/2009)

Anyone really know their way around replication?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic766992-146-1.aspx

Could the OP have made any less effort in that thread?

Steady on Paul... this is getting dangerously close to what this post was all about in the first place:-)

• Ian Scarlett (8/8/2009)

Steady on Paul... this is getting dangerously close to what this post was all about in the first place:-)

:laugh:

• Woot. My muse has returned. Sat down over the weekend and hammered out 3 pages of an article that I've been staring blankly at for the last couple months.

Any volunteers to proof read an article on indexing?

btw, anyone who's feeling overly-critical today might want to avoid today's headline article. It's .... somewhat lacking in places

Gail Shaw

• Any volunteers to proof read an article on indexing?

Here's one! What should I do to get this exclusive preview?

btw, anyone who's feeling overly-critical today might want to avoid today's headline article. It's .... somewhat lacking in places

I read the article and I found some indications a bit different from what I usually do, so I got through the discussion, but no comments were added, so I felt like it was my problem.

Glad to see it wasn't so. (Not only, at least).

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (8/10/2009)

Be patient. It's not finished yet. If you're keen to proof read, I'll send you a copy when it's done before I submit it here.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (8/10/2009)

Gianluca Sartori (8/10/2009)

Be patient. It's not finished yet. If you're keen to proof read, I'll send you a copy when it's done before I submit it here.

Thanks Gail! I'm never patient when it's time to learn something new, especially from you!

You should also share your secret (if you have one) on how to write articles when you're horribly busy! I started writing one three months ago and I'm far from an end!:sick:

-- Gianluca Sartori

Woot. My muse has returned. Sat down over the weekend and hammered out 3 pages of an article that I've been staring blankly at for the last couple months.

It would need to go through many iterations before aspiring to 'lacking' (I'm talking about the headline article, not your three pages :-))

I'm happy to read stuff for anyone at anytime - I can't promise I'd be as useful as some of the others, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Paul

• Gianluca Sartori (8/10/2009)

Thanks Gail! I'm never patient when it's time to learn something new, especially from you!

Please note I'm asking for an article review, either a technical review or comments on language, phrasing, easy of reading/comprehension. If you just want an early copy to read, I'm happy to send one.

Gail Shaw

• Please note I'm asking for an article review, either a technical review or comments on language, phrasing, easy of reading/comprehension.

English is not my first language, so I'm sure any comment from me won't be valuable on the language side.

On the tech side, I can give my two cents, nothing more. I can't compare to your expertise, but have no problem sharing my little knowledge with anyone.

If you just want an early copy to read, I'm happy to send one.

Sure I want one! My contribution won't pay its value, but I still hope to give it a read.

-- Gianluca Sartori

Woot. My muse has returned. Sat down over the weekend and hammered out 3 pages of an article that I've been staring blankly at for the last couple months.

I'm willing to proofread.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Gail btw, anyone who's feeling overly-critical today might want to avoid today's headline article. It's .... somewhat lacking in places

I replied to it.

I think a few of the responses were a bit abrupt (not from the usual crowd on The Thread). The guy obviously put some work into it, just not enough.

Jeff: I think that may be the most polite I've ever seen you! I'm used to you ripping into this kind of thing with all the tact of a rabid pitbull! (That's a compliment, by the way.) Are you out of porkchops? Have you been replaced by a pod person? 😛

I've run into worse than what this guy is spouting. MUCH worse. He's just getting post-publication review instead of pre. Works either way.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (8/10/2009)

I think a few of the responses were a bit abrupt (not from the usual crowd on The Thread). The guy obviously put some work into it, just not enough.

I was a bit more abrupt in the first draft. Went back and edited it a bit.

It's well written, the english is good, there are no spelling mistakes that I could see. It's just a pity that some of the advice is so completely incorrect.

Anyone fancy writing an article 'Advice for new authors' that includes sections on peer review and technical editing? I've done a couple pieces so far that were subject to a tech-edit and it's amazing how much another person will pick up even if they're not an indepth expert on the topic.

Gail Shaw

• I clearly need to work on my 'being abrupt' skills :blink:

I tried quite hard...

Viewing 15 posts - 7,246 through 7,260 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply