Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (8/7/2009)

Anyone seen today's article? The article's fine but some of the comments are scary....

Example:

A maintenance plan should be set up to truncate, shrink, and backup the transaction log -- nightly, if necessary.

hmmm, looks like it left out deleting the log file after shrinking.

😎

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• You don't have to be psychic to help out around here - but it certainly helps.

Actually it's quite spooky how often people post questions about things that have happened to me recently.

Hmmm. :alien:

• Paul White (8/7/2009)

You don't have to be psychic to help out around here - but it certainly helps.

Actually it's quite spooky how often people post questions about things that have happened to me recently.

psychic? or psychotic?

😀

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (8/7/2009)

GilaMonster (8/7/2009)

Anyone seen today's article? The article's fine but some of the comments are scary....

Example:

A maintenance plan should be set up to truncate, shrink, and backup the transaction log -- nightly, if necessary.

😎

Now that's just overkill. You might as well shoot it and bury it under a metre of concrete if you want to make really sure...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Anyone really know their way around replication?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic766992-146-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/7/2009)

Alvin Ramard (8/7/2009)

GilaMonster (8/7/2009)

Example:

😎

Now that's just overkill. You might as well shoot it and bury it under a metre of concrete if you want to make really sure...

That would probably stop the log from growing too big. Might not be good for performance though.

😀

Alvin Ramard

• Paul White (8/7/2009)

Either you're a trend-setter or your fellow employees are mucking up your data and posting here to fix it before you notice...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (8/7/2009)

Paul White (8/7/2009)

Either you're a trend-setter or your fellow employees are mucking up your data and posting here to fix it before you notice...

And I made myself look like an idiot by putting post there before reading everyone's post. 😀

Because the same thing happened to us as well. 🙂

-Roy

• I just tried to look at the attachment for a recent Candidate Reviews post. Would someone carefully save it to disk first (without left-clicking on it), open it in an editor, and tell me what it is doing? It's html and what appears to be a script, but I'm outside my limited area of expertise.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob,

I downloaded the file and all I see in it is SQL.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I agree with Jack.

Alvin Ramard

• Thanks, Jack. I just tried to download it again and no luck. Sounds like a fun problem, maybe someone else can help the guy out.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (8/7/2009)

Thanks, Jack. I just tried to download it again and no luck. Sounds like a fun problem, maybe someone else can help the guy out.

I posted the content of the attachment in-line, just in case you want to have a go with it.

• GilaMonster (8/7/2009)

Anyone really know their way around replication?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic766992-146-1.aspx

Could the OP have made any less effort in that thread?

• --- deleted ---

(duplicate post)

Viewing 15 posts - 7,231 through 7,245 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply