• GSquared (8/10/2009)

GilaMonster (8/10/2009)

jcrawf02 (8/10/2009)

Suggestions for "very terse answers" -

Unplug it.

Quit your job.

Run. Now.

Ask Jeff.

I've several times been tempted, when reading a really long question that's of the form 'Is it possible...' to simply reply 'Yes' and leave it at that.

And I've gone beyond temptation and actually done exactly that. I've got a few posts that are simply "Yep", or "Nope", depending on the question.

I've seen that more than a few times and usually couldn't agree more with the simplicity of the response. On-point and 100% accurate. Usually something that can be found in BOL or with a simple google search. Just points back to laziness on the OPs part and puts the onus back onto where/who it should be.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• I realize I am a bit late tot the party regarding today's lead article, but I'll comment anyway. Yes, there was some bad advice in the article, but there was also some good advice. When I comment on articles like that one, I would not be terse or abrupt, but, as Gail did, quote the bad advice and try to correct it and provide resources and reasons why it is bad advice. In my opinion, if you are going to comment negatively you need back it up or shut up.

As far as tech editing goes, I haven't had any of my articles tech edited by anyone, even though I probably should have, but I have had my wife edit them for spelling and grammar errors. It also helps because if she understands it, then anyone reading it here should as well.

I'm always willing to review an article for anyone.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• jcrawf02 (8/10/2009)

Gianluca: English is not my first language, so I'm sure any comment from me won't be valuable on the language side.

Jon: You're crazy, your English is better than mine most of the time.

I don't think any of you have to worry about too much. English is my first and pretty much only language, but I still don't dare call myself fluent. :ermm:

Chad

• Chad Crawford (8/10/2009)

jcrawf02 (8/10/2009)

Gianluca: English is not my first language, so I'm sure any comment from me won't be valuable on the language side.

Jon: You're crazy, your English is better than mine most of the time.

I don't think any of you have to worry about too much. English is my first and pretty much only language, but I still don't dare call myself fluent. :ermm:

Chad

I'm fluent in American. Not so sure about English. Iay amay eryvay uentflay ina Igpay Atinlay, alsoay.

My Spanish is good enough to order food in a restaurant, or to get me into a lot of trouble.

My French is nearly non-existent.

The only thing I know how to say in German is that I don't speak German, but I say it so badly most people who do speak German aren't sure what I was trying to say - which gets the point across just fine! Those are the living languages I've studied.

My Classical Greek and Classical Latin used to be just barely adequate, but are both nearly useless these days (too many years out of practice).

I think the language I'm most fluent in these days is probably T-SQL, sad as that is.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (8/10/2009)

I think the language I'm most fluent in these days is probably T-SQL, sad as that is.

Me, too. Just the other day somebody asked if I spoke Spanish and I said "No, I barely speak English". When I got home I realized I should say that I am fluent in 2 languages (English, T-SQL) and conversant in 2 others (C# and VB.NET).

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Chad Crawford (8/10/2009)

My english is pretty good and I can, if I so chose, speak the Queen's English. I seldom bother though.

My afrikaans is borderline. I can read it fairly well, understand it when spoken but I can't write it and I struggle to speak it.

Zulu and Sotho I know just enough to greet someone, hopefully without causing offence.

French is pretty much the same.

Japanese I know a small number of assorted individual words and a couple phrases (I can thank someone in Japanese in about 4 ways). That's it though.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Totally different subject! I suddenly can't wait to get home tonight (not that I don't look forward to going home :-P)!

We just received some letters from Kassondra. Looking forward to read how she is doing in Basic now it has actually started.

• Awesome, Lynn!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GilaMonster (8/10/2009)

Chad Crawford (8/10/2009)

My english is pretty good and I can, if I so chose, speak the Queen's English. I seldom bother though.

My afrikaans is borderline. I can read it fairly well, understand it when spoken but I can't write it and I struggle to speak it.

Zulu and Sotho I know just enough to greet someone, hopefully without causing offence.

French is pretty much the same.

Japanese I know a small number of assorted individual words and a couple phrases (I can thank someone in Japanese in about 4 ways). That's it though.

Yeah, I've got several ways of saying "thank you, please stop hitting me" in Japanese as well. They come in handy

Other than that, I can start a fight in French, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Russian & German. But before doing so, I really think I need to translate a few of those Japanese phrases that I know.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn, I see some "green" missing from your avatar today, could that be a problem with my display options? 😀

Barry is leading a new wave...

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (8/11/2009)

Barry is leading a new wave...

A boring one.... 😉

Now where's that pic of Qui-gon I had lying around.....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I could aspire to be Chewbacca at most...;-)

-- Gianluca Sartori

• ... or Spaceball's Barf (Barfolomew for the formal ones)!!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Looking for some help from the water cooler, particularly those of you who speak Flemish and/or Dutch? I brewed a beer to bring to a friend's wedding this weekend. I'm trying to come up with some sort of a witty name that works for the occasion. So far the best I have is Wedding at the Abbey roughly (babelfish) translated to "Huwelijk bij de Abdij". Can anyone speak to the correctness of that translation, and or any other ideas for a name for this beer.

BTW it's a Belgian Abbey-style Dubbel.

Thanks,

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I am not witty, but here's my pass:

No Longer Single Double

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 7,276 through 7,290 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply