Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (8/11/2009)

Gianluca Sartori (8/11/2009)

Barry is leading a new wave...

A boring one.... 😉

Now where's that pic of Qui-gon I had lying around.....

If I were an ubber-geek, I'd figure out how to create an avatar that slowly switched back and forth between me and yoda. That'd be neat, but I'm just an ordinary geek.

• Some time ago there was a thread entitled "Should you use your real name as nickname?".

Maybe it's time to start the "Should you use your real pic as avatar?" thread? 🙂

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (8/11/2009)

Some time ago there was a thread entitled "Should you use your real name as nickname?".

Maybe it's time to start the "Should you use your real pic as avatar?" thread? 🙂

Sigh... Alright, I took the plunge and put my real pic in.

Chad

• Luke L (8/11/2009)

Looking for some help from the water cooler, particularly those of you who speak Flemish and/or Dutch? I brewed a beer to bring to a friend's wedding this weekend. I'm trying to come up with some sort of a witty name that works for the occasion. So far the best I have is Wedding at the Abbey roughly (babelfish) translated to "Huwelijk bij de Abdij". Can anyone speak to the correctness of that translation, and or any other ideas for a name for this beer.

BTW it's a Belgian Abbey-style Dubbel.

Thanks,

-Luke.

Hey Luke. "Huwelijk bij de Abdij" sounds almost right, except if you literally meant the wedding is at the abbey itself , which would better translate to "Huwelijk in de Abdij". "Bij de" means more like "at the" as in "adjacent to the abbey".

Just another two labels that quickly came to mind would be "De Vette Pater" (the fat monk) or "Den Zatten Pater" (the drunk monk, with a Flemish-sounding tint to it). Hope I'm not infringing on anyones trade mark here. There are about as many breweries in Belgium as there are cheeses in France.

You decided on a label for the bottle yet?

And I do hope that you use (a few dozen) brown bottles to put the brew into! Or, rather, make that a nice wooden barrel :hehe:

Oh, by the way, do you have a few spare bottles left to send down to SA? Failing that, where did you get the recipe from? Haven't tried beer brewing myself yet. Baking bread is the furthest my kitchen experience has led me to so far, but it surely can't be THAT difficult? All back-house shebeens (that's the black pubs in the townships) down here brew their own stuff made from sorghum.

Grant, your "No Longer Single Double" made me really laugh. Unfortunately, when translated to Flemish the subtle undertone kinda gets lost in translation.

PS: For everyone's edification, Flemish and Dutch are really the same (written) language. All that differs between the two really is the pronunciation (and a bunch of idioms of course). And, in the Low Lands this really changes from kilometer to kilometer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/11/2009)

Hey Luke. "Huwelijk bij de Abdij" sounds almost right, except if you literally meant the wedding is at the abbey itself , which would better translate to "Huwelijk in de Abdij". "Bij de" means more like "at the" as in "adjacent to the abbey".

Just another two labels that quickly came to mind would be "De Vette Pater" (the fat monk) or "Den Zatten Pater" (the drunk monk, with a Flemish-sounding tint to it). Hope I'm not infringing on anyones trade mark here. There are about as many breweries in Belgium as there are cheeses in France.

You decided on a label for the bottle yet?

And I do hope that you use (a few dozen) brown bottles to put the brew into! Or, rather, make that a nice wooden barrel :hehe:

Since it's a one time beer for a one time event it went straight into a keg. Unfortunately no bottles, and with the crowd it'll be served to I imagine there won't be any left over for me either.

Oh, by the way, do you have a few spare bottles left to send down to SA? Failing that, where did you get the recipe from? Haven't tried beer brewing myself yet. Baking bread is the furthest my kitchen experience has led me to so far, but it surely can't be THAT difficult? All back-house shebeens (that's the black pubs in the townships) down here brew their own stuff made from sorghum.

I highly recommend anyone who enjoys quality wine/beer/mead/soda to experiment with their own. Not just because it's my hobby, but because you never know what you'll end up with. You have ultimate control over what you drink, and you know everything about it from what went into it to levels of sanitation etc. You also have a much better chance of brewing things much more pleasing to your palate than I would is typically available in SA (based purely on those beers from SA that I've had in the states.)

Grant, your "No Longer Single Double" made me really laugh. Unfortunately, when translated to Flemish the subtle undertone kinda gets lost in translation.

Yes I found this one rather humorous as well and might be just the ticket. I wasn't sold on using Flemish for the title as I wasn't sure any of the guests would get it beyond a few in the know, and really if you have to explain the joke is it really worth it? However, Babelfish is telling me that it's translated as "Niet meer Enig, Dubbel" Perhaps I can translate it back to English ont he beer menu... How close is that one Jan?

Thanks guys.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Chad Crawford (8/11/2009)

Some time ago there was a thread entitled "Should you use your real name as nickname?".

The Dark Side's getting way too strong for my tastes....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Chad Crawford (8/11/2009)

The Dark Side's getting way too strong for my tastes....

Okay... It isn't the same pic, but Yoda's back (for now...)

Barry is leading a new wave...

A boring one.... 😉

🙁 Wow, do I get that a lot. I have found that people find me much less boring if I just stop taking my meds, but then all kinds of personal, financial and legal problems seem to crop up*. :w00t: Ah well, exciting or acceptable, that's the eternal dilemma. 🙂

(* - which is why I like Warren Zevon's "Lawyers, Guns and Money", :-))

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Luke L (8/11/2009)

BTW it's a Belgian Abbey-style Dubbel.

Heh... the acronym for that is pretty BAD. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Your galactic public relations department has decided to unveil the child in all of us, the new icon for the warm and fuzzy Dark Side, Darth Spitupicus. Your appreciation is expected.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Anyone here planning to watch District 9 (this week I think)? It looks like a totally interesting sci-fi.

Any of our South African members hearing some buzz about it or has it already shown in SA? Obviously there are (loose) parallels with South Africa's history, but it also reminds me of a previous series, Alien Nation in some ways.

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (8/11/2009)

Any of our South African members hearing some buzz about it or has it already shown in SA?

I've heard of it, but nothing more. Doubt it's shown here, we typically get TV shows months after everyone else, if they show at all. I don't have satellite TV, don't watch much TV.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Just realised (after checking wikipedia) that District 9 is a movie, not a TV show. According to local cinema site, it's opening here Aug 28.

Gail Shaw

• Unfortunately no bottles, and with the crowd it'll be served to I imagine there won't be any left over for me either.

Now, I would certainly make sure I personally get to open the keg so I can toast to the congregation!

because you never know what you'll end up with

Now that may be a problem :w00t:

You have ultimate control over what you drink

Not in my case, I'd drink it no matter what, just to prove a point. Yeah, some call me an alcoholic. But I do hope you had a sip or two before you take the keg over to the wedding?

You also have a much better chance of brewing things much more pleasing to your palate than I would is typically available in SA (based purely on those beers from SA that I've had in the states.)

Now I need to object to that. We've got some fine beers down here as well. Come pay us a visit (maybe at the world cup?) and I'll show you what I mean. SA Breweries may have bought out Miller's a while ago, but that doesn't mean I like it. In fact I don't. Oops...

"Niet meer Enig, Dubbel" Perhaps I can translate it back to English ont he beer menu... How close is that one Jan?

That's pretty good! Go for it I'd say. Enjoy the wedding! And congrats to bride and groom!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• jcrawf02 (8/11/2009)

Your galactic public relations department has decided to unveil the child in all of us, the new icon for the warm and fuzzy Dark Side, Darth Spitupicus. Your appreciation is expected.

Today will be a day long remembered - the day the Crawfords band together on the Dark Side. At last we will reveal ourselves to The Thread. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 7,291 through 7,305 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply