Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Alvin Ramard (8/12/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/12/2009)

Alvin Ramard (8/12/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/12/2009)

Gail, here's one for you😉

Should I pass on this link?

Take a look at the rest of his posts. He's looking for quick answers and too lazy to do his own research.

You know what, maybe we should just leave well enough alone for now.

That was my plan. Ignoring is better than showing ignorance. 🙂

But, I have to agree Bob gave a good answer... :w00t:

• Lynn Pettis (8/12/2009)

But, I have to agree Bob gave a good answer... :w00t:

Yep. Short and to the point.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Barry, your change of Avatar seems to have worked magic. But do we now really also have to call you "Sir" Barry?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• tosscrosby (8/12/2009)

jcrawf02 (8/12/2009)

tosscrosby (8/12/2009)

OK, the avatar changes have started to freak me out a bit (especially http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/UserInfo553377.aspx)

Does anyone really look like that without some type of "cropping" occurring? I'm not trying to insult a family member but....

...says the talking car...

Hey know, haven't you ever seen Knight Rider?

Heh... puking now. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/12/2009)

I've got a better one.

Made me laugh

It boggles the mind, eh?

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

I've got a better one.

Made me laugh

And for a moment I thought it was our PhD Candidate, that is until I checked the number of posts.

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/12/2009)

Barry, your change of Avatar seems to have worked magic. But do we now really also have to call you "Sir" Barry?

Uhm, ..., yeah sure, let's go with that. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

It boggles the mind, eh?

I had to read it 3 or 4 times to make sure I wasn't missing something. Is the logic for estimation really that hard?

Alvin Ramard (8/12/2009)

It boggles the mind, eh?

I had to read it 3 or 4 times to make sure I wasn't missing something. Is the logic for estimation really that hard?

It's only that hard for people that don't have a clue about what they're doing.

I wonder sometimes (too often actually) how people ended up with the position they have.

Oh oh. Now he's asking how to set up the partition. I'm not sure he can handle more than one lesson per day.

Alvin Ramard

Steve Jones - Editor (8/12/2009)

Alvin Ramard (8/12/2009)

It boggles the mind, eh?

It's only that hard for people that don't have a clue about what they're doing.

I wonder sometimes (too often actually) how people ended up with the position they have.

Oh oh. Now he's asking how to set up the partition. I'm not sure he can handle more than one lesson per day.

I'm not even going there. What he wants is a sliding window partition so that the most current 5 days of data are in one partition, and the older data in an archive partition. If he couldn't even figure out how to estimate how space he would need for one years worth of data based on 5 days worth, I'm not even going to try and explain this to him.

• Lynn Pettis (8/12/2009)

I'm not even going there. What he wants is a sliding window partition so that the most current 5 days of data are in one partition, and the older data in an archive partition. If he couldn't even figure out how to estimate how space he would need for one years worth of data based on 5 days worth, I'm not even going to try and explain this to him.

I threw the ball back in his court by asking him to tell us his ideas first. That's as far as I'm going. I've never done partitioning before so I'm not going to offer any advice beyond BOL.

Alvin Ramard

• I have discovered the second lowest form of life on the planet Earth. Check out the following URL... does the article look familiar to anyone?

http://balavardhanreddy.over-blog.com/article-29918397-6.html

I've contacted the legal department at over-blog.com to have the article removed, the author reprimanded, that his blog be deleted, and that he be banned from the site forever. I'm also contacting my MVP contact to report the incident with the recommendation that he be permanently banned from ever becoming an MVP. If I knew who his employer was (I'm still looking for that), I would contact them as well. He's from India... if anyone knows him personally, tell him that he's a disgrace to a country of fine people.

I've captured a copy of the page for possible legal purposes.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (8/12/2009)

I have discovered the second lowest form of life on the planet Earth. Check out the following URL... does the article look familiar to anyone?

http://balavardhanreddy.over-blog.com/article-29918397-6.html

I've contacted the legal department at over-blog.com to have the article removed, the author reprimanded, that his blog be deleted, and that he be banned from the site forever. I'm also contacting my MVP contact to report the incident with the recommendation that he be permanently banned from ever becoming an MVP. If I knew who his employer was (I'm still looking for that), I would contact them as well. He's from India... if anyone knows him personally, tell him that he's a disgrace to a country of fine people.

I've captured a copy of the page for possible legal purposes.

Time to grab the frozen pork chops. Lock and load!

😎

Alvin Ramard

• Wonders never cease... FogBugz also published my article on their site without my permission. Admittedly, they gave both SSC and myself credit for the article, but they did not ask my permission to publish my copyrighted article. I've also contacted them explaining that and have asked them to remove it. I did thank them for at least trying to be proper about it.

Here's the link to the infringing article...

http://www.yourcomputerconsultant.com.au/support/default.asp?W276

And, if you remove the last 4 characters from that link (thanks Steve), here's what you get for a link...

http://www.yourcomputerconsultant.com.au/support/default.asp

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 7,336 through 7,350 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply