Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (8/12/2009)

I didn't look for Moon is a Harsh Mistress, I'd just read it on paper. I got Farnum's Freehold from the Baen[/url] website (paid, not free, but cheaper than most of the Amazon books I've seen so far). As far as I know, anything available on Baen is not available on Amazon in a Kindle version. That's OK though because the Baen prices are less than Kindle and it works just as well.

Yeah, I understand on the prices. Went to see about getting 1984 on the Kindle... they wanted 9.99 (discounted from 15 something) and my opinion was "What? You have GOT to be kidding! I can get a paperback version for less than that AND read it for free on the web site!" Also, considering that it isn't exactly a new book, I would have been more willing to pay 4-5 or perhaps 6 bucks for it on the Kindle. But then, I think that's also the book that Amazon went and deleted from people's Kindles because it was the wrong copy or they didn't pay the proper price or some odd reason like that. Very ironic for that book to be the subject of such a Big Brother action. :blink:

Baen didn't have The Moon is a Harsh Mistress listed. Oh well. Nor did they have Starship Troopers. I'll just have to get a hard copy of that sometime.

-- Kit

• With the repeated reference to Starship Troopers, I find myself muttering under my breath as I go over some code....

"Bugs, Mr. Rico. Millions of 'em. I'm a-burning them down."

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (8/12/2009)

With the repeated reference to Starship Troopers, I find myself muttering under my breath as I go over some code....

Damn it Bob, I'm eating lunch, you made me laugh, which means I choked, coughed, and now I gotta find the screen wipes again...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Laugh I did at the image of Qui-gon and Yoda, both with light-sabres ready, asking Is this homework?

• Lynn Pettis (8/12/2009)

Laugh I did at the image of Qui-gon and Yoda, both with light-sabres ready, asking Is this homework?

😀

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • OK, the avatar changes have started to freak me out a bit (especially http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/UserInfo553377.aspx)

Does anyone really look like that without some type of "cropping" occurring? I'm not trying to insult a family member but....

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby (8/12/2009)

OK, the avatar changes have started to freak me out a bit (especially http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/UserInfo553377.aspx)

Does anyone really look like that without some type of "cropping" occurring? I'm not trying to insult a family member but....

...says the talking car...

And apparently my work is complete. lol 😀

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (8/12/2009)

Bob Hovious (8/12/2009)

With the repeated reference to Starship Troopers, I find myself muttering under my breath as I go over some code....

Damn it Bob, I'm eating lunch, you made me laugh, which means I choked, coughed, and now I gotta find the screen wipes again...

Heh... at least you didn't inhale a bug.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• jcrawf02 (8/12/2009)

tosscrosby (8/12/2009)

OK, the avatar changes have started to freak me out a bit (especially http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/UserInfo553377.aspx)

...says the talking car...

Hey know, haven't you ever seen Knight Rider?

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• GilaMonster (8/12/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/12/2009)

Laugh I did at the image of Qui-gon and Yoda, both with light-sabres ready, asking Is this homework?

😀

And laugh even harder again at the response to this same inquiry in CodingForums.com: "... properly join your tables together. Ask your professor about how that is done." OP didn't get anyone there to do his/her homework last week, so decided to try SSC. Sigh. I'm hoping for an honest attempt as Gail suggested.

• john.arnott (8/12/2009)

GilaMonster (8/12/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/12/2009)

😀

And laugh even harder again at the response to this same inquiry in CodingForums.com: "... properly join your tables together. Ask your professor about how that is done." OP didn't get anyone there to do his/her homework last week, so decided to try SSC. Sigh. I'm hoping for an honest attempt as Gail suggested.

Even more hilarious; getting an empty result set from a cartesian product with no WHERE criteria! :w00t:

Edit: If that is how MySQL works, anyway, when using ANSI-89 joins.

• Gail, here's one for you😉

Gail, here's one for you😉

Should I pass on this link?

Take a look at the rest of his posts. He's looking for quick answers and too lazy to do his own research.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (8/12/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/12/2009)

Take a look at the rest of his posts. He's looking for quick answers and too lazy to do his own research.

You know what, maybe we should just leave well enough alone for now.

Alvin Ramard (8/12/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/12/2009)

You know what, maybe we should just leave well enough alone for now.

That was my plan. Ignoring is better than showing ignorance. 🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 7,321 through 7,335 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply