Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Can't help much, but root cause is that some other app's listening on the SQL port. Only one app can listen on a port at a time (AFAIK). First st4ep would be to find what is listening on 1433. How to do that, I'm not sure.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • jcrawf02 (8/13/2009)

No kidding. I've only been plagiarized the once and it probably didn't count since it was really the SQLServerPedia feed that was getting ripped off. I'm feeling decidedly unloved and I'm watching that MVP thing slide away. Come on people. Steal from me too, darn it.

EXCELLENT!

Now, cease & desist, foul miscreant.

Ah, I feel so much more worthy.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GilaMonster (8/13/2009)

Can't help much, but root cause is that some other app's listening on the SQL port. Only one app can listen on a port at a time (AFAIK). First st4ep would be to find what is listening on 1433. How to do that, I'm not sure.

I took a couple of stabs at it. hopefully they will help.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Grant Fritchey (8/13/2009)

jcrawf02 (8/13/2009)

No kidding. I've only been plagiarized the once and it probably didn't count since it was really the SQLServerPedia feed that was getting ripped off. I'm feeling decidedly unloved and I'm watching that MVP thing slide away. Come on people. Steal from me too, darn it.

EXCELLENT!

Now, cease & desist, foul miscreant.

Ah, I feel so much more worthy.

Question is, is Steve now obligated to remove my post? :hehe:

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I shall let that one slide because it's Tolerance Thursday :hehe:

• Is tomorrow Forgetful Friday?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Can't help much, but root cause is that some other app's listening on the SQL port. Only one app can listen on a port at a time (AFAIK). First st4ep would be to find what is listening on 1433. How to do that, I'm not sure.

wouldn't netstat -b show the process listening on a port?

Greg E

• Looks like they already tried that.

But a rather unusual looking IP address. 192.1681.

Greg E

• Alvin Ramard (8/13/2009)

Is tomorrow Forgetful Friday?

I think it's Fashion Friday. Haven't you seen my shirts? :w00t::-P

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/13/2009)

Alvin Ramard (8/13/2009)

Fashion Friday? Is it ok for me to wear my SQL Server Central shirt?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/13/2009)

Alvin Ramard (8/13/2009)

Maybe "Forgiving Friday"? Or maybe more precise, "Foregoing Fashion Friday"???? 😛

edit: Steve, can you change the pictue of you in the daily emails? It looks like your head is a wee bit flat....maybe it's simply the haircut?

-- You can't be late until you show up.

Jeff Moden (8/12/2009)

I have discovered the second lowest form of life on the planet Earth. Check out the following URL... does the article look familiar to anyone?

http://balavardhanreddy.over-blog.com/article-29918397-6.html

La page demandée n'existe pas.

Looks like legal dept was fast.

That was fast. I don't if it was the legal department that did it or the comment I posted for his review threatening to fly to India and stack pork chops in his neck. What a scum bucket, though. As you say, he's plagarized the 20 points article, as well. I agree that RedGate should probably get involved now and advise the legal department (under REPORT ABUSE) of over-blog.com.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Jeff Moden (8/12/2009)

Here's the link to the infringing article...

http://www.yourcomputerconsultant.com.au/support/default.asp?W276

I don't think that's Fog Creek (Joel Spolsky) themselves. They sell FogBugz software for customers to host on their own servers.

A whois check shows that yourcomputerconsultant.com.au is owned by Graham Weber.

Domain Name yourcomputerconsultant.com.au

Last Modified 28-Nov-2008 07:29:47 UTC

Registrar ID PlanetDomain

Registrar Name PlanetDomain

Status ok

Registrant The Trustee for G & N TRUST

Registrant ID ABN 88070887262

Eligibility Type Other

Eligibility Name YOUR COMPUTER CONSULTANT

Registrant Contact ID ID00292508-PR

Registrant Contact Name Graham Weber

Registrant Contact Email ycc@iinet.net.au

Tech Contact ID ID00292508-PR

Tech Contact Name Graham Weber

Tech Contact Email ycc@iinet.net.au

Name Server sharky.adv-tech.com.au

Name Server IP 61.29.87.2

Name Server blue.iping.net.au

Name Server IP 116.212.201.3

Yep... we use FogBugz at work... I thought it might be a "remote site". The folks at FB did respond and said it wasn't their site. I didn't know about "WhoIs" until yesterday when Steve sent me an email. Thanks for saving me the time, Gail.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Another real Gem...

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (8/13/2009)

Another real Gem...

I went to respond to your interpretation of the SSMS shorthand and decided that it would look too much like picking on the guy who did it. BUT, here's my re-translation:

pls tell how to c the o/p of the profiler =

Please tell how to carry the original poster off the profiler

Just a guess you understand.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 7,366 through 7,380 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply