Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (8/26/2009)

Luke L (8/26/2009)

GilaMonster (8/26/2009)

Yay. ISP down, again. This time their main basestation is down, affecting every single one of their customers. It's been down since around 3am this morning, eta until repaired, unknown.

And they wonder why they're losing customers.....

Heh, yer ISP is down yet you continue to post. The force is strong with this one...

3G card + laptop. intended for when I'm traveling, but works great with the primary ISP is down (which is not an infrequent occurrence)

Looking forward to Feb when I can boot these guys out and get an ADLS line installed.

Gail, may I ask who that primary ISP is? Have my issues with our ADSL line supplied by HellKom as well, particularly with the modems one gets included with a 24 month contract. Had one replaced about a year ago (no questions asked though), then a packed-up power supply (questions asked), and now a modem where I had to tape the power switch to the box itself coz it kept on jumping to the off position. So, I was actually thinking of going wireless, but if you have such probs with whoever I may reconsider.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Sentech. I haven't heard about similar problems from iBurst or Neotel, but have no experience with them.

My contract is finally up in March (cancellation fees are very high, that's why I haven't already switched) and I'm going to get a ADSL line though not using Telkon's ADSL contracts, mainly because I've had enough problems with their tech support when it's a phone line.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Be careful if you consider going with Neotel. My wife opened a new practice in Milnerton Hospital at the beginning of the year and decided to go with them, just coz of not wanting to throw more money at HellKom. They were able to get the lines in on time all right, but when push came to shove, they couldn't supply the PABX before she opened for business. That she was told less than a week before opening. So she ended up with Telkom again, who got everything sorted within just two days. Amazing but true 🙂

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Not doing Neotel. I've had more than enough of wireless. I'm tired of the latency and the connection problems every time it rains. Besides, the high-speed internet's not available in my area, best I'd be able to get from them is 156Kb/s peak download speed

Not that their 'high-speed' internet is particularly high speed. The speed isn't listed on the product page, but the faq says

What is Neotel’s peak internet speed?

We have peak speeds of up to 2.4Mbps and an average range between 300 to 700Kbps.

The actual line is from Telkom, phone line converted to ADSL, probably 4Mb/s, the ADSL contract won't be.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Edit: Duplicate

Gail Shaw

• Good move.

• GilaMonster (8/26/2009)

K. Brian Kelley (8/26/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/26/2009)

So, what was the question and how did you handle it? I've just started ignoring requests for help sent via PM. I don't even bother responding to them anymore.

Yup, I've gotten enough of these that I ignore. Now if I get a PM saying, "Hey, I posted this, would you take a look?" that's a different story entirely.

Depends who's making the request and how it's worded.

I have one guy who used to post to threads I was involved in saying "Please answer this", usually combined with a PM at the same time saying the same thing. Usually it was a thread I'd looked over and couldn't answer.

When, one day, he posted saying "I know this is the wrong way to ask this, but please answer this ..." I kinda lost my temper and gave him a snappy reply.

I think I got one from the same guy. He said "I know this is the wrong way to ask this..." so I told them "Then why did you do it?"

Lawwdy!

Lynn, we need to bottle your patience & sell it.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (8/27/2009)

I think I got one from the same guy. He said "I know this is the wrong way to ask this..." so I told them "Then why did you do it?"

Almost exactly the same answer he got from me.

Gail Shaw

• Okay, it has to be something in the air. It seems that some of the OP's here don't like our answers and will argue it.

This time an OP took exception to Gail's answer.

• Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

I wonder how long he's going to protest.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (8/27/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

Well, if he's like the OP who basically called me a "liar" (my interpretation of the OP's response), when he gets hit over the head with the proverbial 2" x 4".

• Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

GilaMonster (8/27/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

Well, if he's like the OP who basically called me a "liar" (my interpretation of the OP's response), when he gets hit over the head with the proverbial 2" x 4".

And it looks like that finally happened.

• Looks like he's ready to walk away.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• An out of topic question....

There is a way to do Event forwarding from one server to another, does anybody have any links to any white paper or anything. I did look at some and they were just trouble shooting. Nothing on how to set it up or where to even start.

Sorry if I am vague. That is all I know regarding Event log forwarding.:-)

-Roy

• Today we have our first PASS Chapter meeting. 🙂 I hope at least 10 people show up... 😀

-Roy

Viewing 15 posts - 7,681 through 7,695 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply