Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Roy Ernest (8/27/2009)

Today we have our first PASS Chapter meeting. 🙂 I hope at least 10 people show up... 😀

Whoowhoooo!!!! Go Roy! Let us know how it went!

-- Kit

• Alvin Ramard (8/26/2009)

What's worse than OP too lazy to search how to do something simple and asking in the thread?

OP that send you a PM asking the question.

Gee, and I thought the answer (from my fourth-grade memory) was 'falling off the Empire State building and catching your eyelid on a loose nail'....:hehe:

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I love these kinds of questions. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic778499-146-1.aspx

Maybe I'll elaborate later on what it depends on...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/27/2009)

I love these kinds of questions. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic778499-146-1.aspx

Now that's entertainment!:-D

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I saw your answer and I had a chuckle.... :hehe:

-Roy

I love these kinds of questions. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic778499-146-1.aspx

Personally, looks like a good reseearch topic for some one. I'd just leave your response as is.

• Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

GilaMonster (8/27/2009)

Personally, looks like a good reseearch topic for some one. I'd just leave your response as is.

I have a half-written blog post on that topic. Currently it's about a page long expansion on those two words.

I'll see how he replies, but someone will answer him, sooner or later, I'd rather expand on that answer if someone posts bad info.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

GilaMonster (8/27/2009)

I have a half-written blog post on that topic. Currently it's about a page long expansion on those two words.

I'll see how he replies, but someone will answer him, sooner or later, I'd rather expand on that answer if someone posts bad info.

Now that I will agree with!

• Now to this one. This individual really needs to figure out how to open and read BOL.

• Roy Ernest (8/27/2009)

An out of topic question....

There is a way to do Event forwarding from one server to another, does anybody have any links to any white paper or anything. I did look at some and they were just trouble shooting. Nothing on how to set it up or where to even start.

Sorry if I am vague. That is all I know regarding Event log forwarding.:-)

"Event forwarding" and "Event log forwarding" are different things. If you could expand a little bit more on what you mean, Roy, I might be able to direct you to some more information.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

GilaMonster (8/27/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

GilaMonster (8/27/2009)

Now that I will agree with!

Saw this one and chuckled myself.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Now to this one. This individual really needs to figure out how to open and read BOL.

Agreed. I'm getting a little tired of his very basic, no research done questions.

Gail Shaw

• Barry, Thanks... I knew I would mess up even when asking a simple question... :hehe:

This is the scenario.. We are moving our Main DB to a new Hardware with SQL 2008 and Windows 2008 (64 bit). Till now the DB Servers were being monitored by an Open Source software called BigBrother. Now what I want to do is to keep that software out of the new server. But I still need to monitor the event log on the new server for any errors. What I want to do is to forward these Errors to another server (Our Central Management Server) and then raise alerts using that.

Did I make any sense? Or am I still blabbing?

-Roy

Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

Now to this one. This individual really needs to figure out how to open and read BOL.

Agreed. I'm getting a little tired of his very basic, no research done questions.

I hadn't been tracking his posts, but just realized how many ?'s there were from him of this nature.

Makes me wonder if he is new to the industry via a training course and trying to get certified...

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Roy Ernest (8/27/2009)

Barry, Thanks... I knew I would mess up even when asking a simple question... :hehe:

This is the scenario.. We are moving our Main DB to a new Hardware with SQL 2008 and Windows 2008 (64 bit). Till now the DB Servers were being monitored by an Open Source software called BigBrother. Now what I want to do is to keep that software out of the new server. But I still need to monitor the event log on the new server for any errors. What I want to do is to forward these Errors to another server (Our Central Management Server) and then raise alerts using that.

Did I make any sense? Or am I still blabbing?

Any chance you could have your Central Management Server (CMS) query the event log in a pull fashion instead of a push. Should be able to accomplish this with some pretty straightforward WMI/Powershell scripting, probably even be able to filter for only specific types of events or from the past 5 minutes or something and then just check it every 5 mins?

I suppose you could turn that 'round the other way and have the script run on your db server and then post the records to a database but it seems like that's what you're trying to avoid?

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 7,696 through 7,710 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply