Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Luke, Your idea seems to be good. I have research on it.

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (8/27/2009)

Barry, Thanks... I knew I would mess up even when asking a simple question... :hehe:

This is the scenario.. We are moving our Main DB to a new Hardware with SQL 2008 and Windows 2008 (64 bit). Till now the DB Servers were being monitored by an Open Source software called BigBrother. Now what I want to do is to keep that software out of the new server. But I still need to monitor the event log on the new server for any errors. What I want to do is to forward these Errors to another server (Our Central Management Server) and then raise alerts using that.

Did I make any sense? Or am I still blabbing?

Nope, I got it. You mean "Windows Event Log" forwarding, AFAIK. I am no expert in it, but here's a link that may help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb427443(VS.85).aspx

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Barry, that is a very good possibility. I am going to research on that and see if I can get that over to our other server.

Thansk.. 🙂 Thanks Luke.. 🙂 Now I have two options..

-Roy

• Gail, just a fair warning:

If I ever discover the technology and/or power to suck information from another's brain, yours way up there in my list of brains to empty.

• You all do realize that in some cases SSC is the automatic transmission compared to the manual-shift F1 key? All the volunteers enable (some) people to multitask. All they have to do is ask a question here and go back to their other work. Check back later and there is an answer, often quicker than they would have found it themselves. If they started digging through BOL they would have to be spending their time researching and thinking about the problem, rather than getting their other work done. You can't blame them for taking advantage of such an excellent and cost-effective resource.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Mike McQueen (8/27/2009)

Gail, just a fair warning:

If I ever discover the technology and/or power to suck information from another's brain, yours way up there in my list of brains to empty.

I'm not too worried. There's very likely hundreds of miles of ocean between us.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Unless SSC happens to be on the critical path for the work they are doing. 😉

Still, after numerous questions that could be answered by a little work on their own it was time to ask.

• Bob Hovious (8/27/2009)

You all do realize that in some cases SSC is the automatic transmission compared to the manual-shift F1 key? All the volunteers enable (some) people to multitask. All they have to do is ask a question here and go back to their other work. Check back later and there is an answer, often quicker than they would have found it themselves. If they started digging through BOL they would have to be spending their time researching and thinking about the problem, rather than getting their other work done. You can't blame them for taking advantage of such an excellent and cost-effective resource.

I can. Your last sentence says it all. They are taking advantage of people, and their desire to help others. And not in the good meaning. I'm pretty sure your being tongue-in-cheek here, but I can understand the frustration from some of the more usual posters. In my case, I faded out from being an active poster because of work. But that's changed and I have a bit more time. However, every time I see a question that could have easily been solved by a quick look in Books Online or on MSDN, it is a bit frustrating.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• K. Brian Kelley (8/27/2009)

Bob Hovious (8/27/2009)

You all do realize that in some cases SSC is the automatic transmission compared to the manual-shift F1 key? All the volunteers enable (some) people to multitask. All they have to do is ask a question here and go back to their other work. Check back later and there is an answer, often quicker than they would have found it themselves. If they started digging through BOL they would have to be spending their time researching and thinking about the problem, rather than getting their other work done. You can't blame them for taking advantage of such an excellent and cost-effective resource.

I can. Your last sentence says it all. They are taking advantage of people, and their desire to help others. And not in the good meaning. I'm pretty sure your being tongue-in-cheek here, but I can understand the frustration from some of the more usual posters. In my case, I faded out from being an active poster because of work. But that's changed and I have a bit more time. However, every time I see a question that could have easily been solved by a quick look in Books Online or on MSDN, it is a bit frustrating.

When I was first learning SQL, BOL and MSDN were obscure to the point of uselessness in far too many cases. Too many of the articles assume that you know too many other things, and the circular references were far too common. Add in the impossibility of finding something if you don't know the right words to search for, and they were both of very limited use.

Because of that, I don't find questions that I think could be answered that way frustrating. The only ones I find frustrating are the ones that are rude, arrogant, or that presume they have the right to demand anything from me. Asking is fine, demanding isn't.

As an example of, "should be easy to find in BOL, why do you have to ask here", imagine you don't know about IsNull or Coalesce, but you need to replace a null value with a stock value or a different column. Go into BOL and search for something intuitive like "replace null". What you find is rather off-topic. For me, it starts with an article about "sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats", followed by "Integration Services Error and Message Reference". Then it goes on with the articles about Insert, Update and Delete, and a bunch of other stuff, but it does not include either IsNull or Coalesce in the results.

BOL is only easy if you already know the subject. Otherwise, it's a pain to use.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I may agree to a point.

Asking this:

i need the query(dbname,size,recoverymodel) for all databases in a server.

tells me you haven't even tried to find an answer yourself and want someone else to provide it for you.

This:

I need to write a query that will return the databasename, size, and recovery model for all the databases on an instance of SQL Server. I am not sure where to start. Any help is appreciated.

tells me you need help, but are looking more for guidance than just a solution.

• Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

I may agree to a point.

Asking this:

tells me you haven't even tried to find an answer yourself and want someone else to provide it for you.

This:

I need to write a query that will return the databasename, size, and recovery model for all the databases on an instance of SQL Server. I am not sure where to start. Any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure the first one isn't merely a lack of elloquence, as opposed to a lack of manners. Could be either one, but I tend to err towards the assumption that nobody taught the person how to write reasonably well. But only because the vast majority of humanity really can't write well, even in their native language.

Now, "Somebody write a query for me that tells me name, size, and recovery model of all databases on a server. Don't respond unless you're posting the answer. Experts only.", is what I have seen in some cases. Those are the ones I object to. That's not lack of elloquence or literacy. That's not ESL (to resurect that one yet again). That's just rude and demanding.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (8/27/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

I may agree to a point.

Asking this:

This:

I'm not sure the first one isn't merely a lack of elloquence, as opposed to a lack of manners. Could be either one, but I tend to err towards the assumption that nobody taught the person how to write reasonably well. But only because the vast majority of humanity really can't write well, even in their native language.

Now, "Somebody write a query for me that tells me name, size, and recovery model of all databases on a server. Don't respond unless you're posting the answer. Experts only.", is what I have seen in some cases. Those are the ones I object to. That's not lack of elloquence or literacy. That's not ESL (to resurect that one yet again). That's just rude and demanding.

Not really sure here, particularly with this one individual. All his questions are very short and curt. There is absolutely no indication that he has done any kind of research on his own before asking a question. After enough of those, you got to wonder.

• Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

GSquared (8/27/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

I may agree to a point.

Asking this:

This:

Not really sure here, particularly with this one individual. All his questions are very short and curt. There is absolutely no indication that he has done any kind of research on his own before asking a question. After enough of those, you got to wonder.

I don't mind the question in either format - IF the person is brand new to the forum. Sometimes you can tell when the OP is brand new to the forum or to forum posting in general. At ssc it would seem that if somebody has posted 100x or so they should have a feel for posting etiquette. This particular person, as Lynn has said, seems to always be missing the boat on etiquette or prepost effort to find the answer - just a perception looking back at the history.

I would think that experience in posting would lend its way to understanding better what is needed by the forum when asking them a question. As time moves along, you would expect to see a change in the pattern / methodology that a person posts. If there is no change in pattern, then I would likely err on the side that the person is looking for a handout.

Make sense?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GSquared (8/27/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/27/2009)

I may agree to a point.

Asking this:

This:

Well the first two questions I saw from this person were essentially (paraphrased)

"For backup, what do <long list of options to backup database> do?"

and

"For restore, what do <long list of options to restore database> do?"

Am not saying he's rude or lacking manners, he's not. But he's shown no inclination at all to do any research whatsoever. Seriously, it's not hard to look under "Backup Database" for what the options for Backup Database are. He's been pointed at books online and msdn a number of times.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I tend to agree with Jason. I glance at the post count, and if it's < 10, I tend to cut more slack. However I do just hint, link, or try to get them to do something.

Viewing 15 posts - 7,711 through 7,725 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply