Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Well, Bob, you might be ".1" from now on :w00t:

• Bob, go for ".01" then you'll be 1 percentage point.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Jeff Moden (8/31/2009)

Bob Hovious (8/31/2009)

Is it just me, or has his grammar improved?

Heh... careful... there's two folks with the exact same handle on this forum. If he's not touting the "Sr Software Engineer" tag in his signature, it's not the WHWW. I've made that mistake before.

No, no, no. your thinking of the PhD Candidate wanna be there Jeff. This is someone totally different.

Edit: And here is the link.

• Lynn Pettis (8/31/2009)

Jeff Moden (8/31/2009)

Bob Hovious (8/31/2009)

Is it just me, or has his grammar improved?

Heh... careful... there's two folks with the exact same handle on this forum. If he's not touting the "Sr Software Engineer" tag in his signature, it's not the WHWW. I've made that mistake before.

No, no, no. your thinking of the PhD Candidate wanna be there Jeff. This is someone totally different.

Edit: And here is the link.

Correct you are... I was thinking the wrong guy. Thanks, Lynn.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Hey Steve,

I may be missing something here, but why does SSC not just refuse to accept a nick that will create a duplicate instead of adding a digit/number to it? Reminds me of one of the posts a few weeks ago from someone who tried to do the same thing in terms of user names and got kindly told that this ain't such a brilliant idea? And then the OP a few days ago who's trying to generate user IDs from either an email address or some first and last names already stored? Why didn't anyone tell him that "since he has the email address, which is unique worldwide at any time" he should just use that? Yeah, I was too lazy to jump in there. Or rather afraid of having missed something in the spec yet again and making a fool of myself :w00t:

Greets,

Jan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/31/2009)

Hey Steve,

I may be missing something here, but why does SSC not just refuse to accept a nick that will create a duplicate instead of adding a digit/number to it? Reminds me of one of the posts a few weeks ago from someone who tried to do the same thing in terms of user names and got kindly told that this ain't such a brilliant idea? And then the OP a few days ago who's trying to generate user IDs from either an email address or some first and last names already stored? Why didn't anyone tell him that "since he has the email address, which is unique worldwide at any time" he should just use that? Yeah, I was too lazy to jump in there. Or rather afraid of having missed something in the spec yet again and making a fool of myself :w00t:

Greets,

Jan

Has to deal with existing duplicates somehow. Adding a digit at the end is about the simplest way to do that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• There's already duplicate users in the system. We've got at least one case where two people have the same username. Something has to be don e about those and I think it's those that Steve is talking about appending a number to.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/31/2009)

There's already duplicate users in the system. We've got at least one case where two people have the same username. Something has to be don e about those and I think it's those that Steve is talking about appending a number to.

And not always a whole number. :hehe:

Just saw a JDE Data Decimal error, ready to test come into QA.

That should bring up some memories for Steve.

Greg E

• That's what I want to do, and I think is what will happen when we remove dups.

However the issue has been the front end being coded to handle that. I guess we could have used a trigger to clean things up, but I wasn't sure that the registration wouldn't explode.

• Best of both worlds you could append a number to dupes, then put the code in place to not allow duplicates to be saved!

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/31/2009)

That's what I want to do, and I think is what will happen when we remove dups.

However the issue has been the front end being coded to handle that. I guess we could have used a trigger to clean things up, but I wasn't sure that the registration wouldn't explode.

Trigger like in "The Evil Twin of Cursor"?

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• GilaMonster (8/31/2009)

There's already duplicate users in the system. We've got at least one case where two people have the same username. Something has to be don e about those and I think it's those that Steve is talking about appending a number to.

Ah, ja, the guys from Bangalore 😉

• Unfortunately, I think I have a dupe in the system too. I think mine happened on initial account creation. I only registered once many years ago but I can see two of me in there. 1 has never logged in, and the other I use. At least I think the other login is me - could be somebody else with the same name possibly.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Forgive the topic jump, but I'm really pissed off right now, not with you guys, but with the way MS forces you to accept updates when your "corporate policy" decrees it. Was busy typing a rather lengthy response to an OP who complained that 1.1 is not equal to 1.1 and trying to explain why, got him a few links as to why this wasn't the case, and there we go, laptop decided IT department was more important than helping the community SSC was built to help serve. Frustrating. Going to bed. Maybe tomorrow... :angry:

• Uhm, seems I just forgot to mention that machine forced a reboot with no way out... In case you were wondering what the vent was about.

Viewing 15 posts - 7,771 through 7,785 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply