Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/31/2009)

Forgive the topic jump, but I'm really pissed off right now, not with you guys, but with the way MS forces you to accept updates when your "corporate policy" decrees it. Was busy typing a rather lengthy response to an OP who complained that 1.1 is not equal to 1.1 and trying to explain why, got him a few links as to why this wasn't the case, and there we go, laptop decided IT department was more important than helping the community SSC was built to help serve. Frustrating. Going to bed. Maybe tomorrow... :angry:

Got a link?

• Corporate policy may decree it, but there should be some controls in place allowing end-users a little freedom to finish up the current task. It doesn't help the company to have you lose all your work and then redo it.

Unless they figure it gives you a chance to practice what you were doing when they rebooted your system.:sick:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• It was this one. Even if it was posted in a Newbies Forum, I guess he/she has done his/her homework, but lacks the knowledge about how numbers are represented in binary and why therefore 1.1 isn't necessarily what it seems to be. Anyone wanna pick it up?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• CirquedeSQLeil (8/31/2009)

Corporate policy may decree it, but there should be some controls in place allowing end-users a little freedom to finish up the current task. It doesn't help the company to have you lose all your work and then redo it.

Unless they figure it gives you a chance to practice what you were doing when they rebooted your system.:sick:

They usually do, but this one was a "Take it or forget your off-site laptop"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/31/2009)

Why didn't anyone tell him that "since he has the email address, which is unique worldwide at any time" he should just use that?

Because, they can change... 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• CirquedeSQLeil (8/31/2009)

Corporate policy may decree it, but there should be some controls in place allowing end-users a little freedom to finish up the current task. It doesn't help the company to have you lose all your work and then redo it.

Heh... I don't care how many times they do this to me although I do tend to tell them how stupid it is to do it in an unannounce fashion. If I'm salaried, it's a bit of mental time off at their expense. If I'm doing on-site contractor work, I can still charge while the computer is rebooting and it still gives me a bit of mental time off. Because I save often, it normally doesn't cost me much in rework and either way I'm going to say "Now, where was I" and load all my stuff back up.

It's a win/win situation... they get their job done and I make money. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (8/31/2009)

CirquedeSQLeil (8/31/2009)

Heh... I don't care how many times they do this to me although I do tend to tell them how stupid it is to do it in an unannounce fashion. If I'm salaried, it's a bit of mental time off at their expense. If I'm doing on-site contractor work, I can still charge while the computer is rebooting and it still gives me a bit of mental time off. Because I save often, it normally doesn't cost me much in rework and either way I'm going to say "Now, where was I" and load all my stuff back up.

It's a win/win situation... they get their job done and I make money. 🙂

Nice perspective :hehe:

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (8/31/2009)

There's already duplicate users in the system. We've got at least one case where two people have the same username. Something has to be don e about those and I think it's those that Steve is talking about appending a number to.

I'm one of the duplicates. This prevented me from receiving private messages, that went to the other guy's inbox.

Fortunately it was always me... :-): an old account I falied to recover, because I lost the password and the mailbox was deleted.

After around 1 hour trying all my "usual" passwords I was able to log in and renamed it. I had 12 unread PMs, some were so old that I was too ashamed to reply.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• 24 Hours of PASS starts today and I did not get a good night's sleep last night. It's gonna be a fun 2 days.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Interesting. Looks like our PhD Candidate wanna be is here in the states now.

• Alvin Ramard (9/1/2009)

24 Hours of PASS starts today and I did not get a good night's sleep last night. It's gonna be a fun 2 days.

Starts tomorrow for me, 2AM precisely.

I'm not doing the full 24 hours. First one that I want to see is 8am or 9am, last one I want to see finishes 1AM on Thursday.

I don't know why, but I'm more nervous about this than I was about speaking at PASS last year or TechEd this year.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/1/2009)

I don't know why, but I'm more nervous about this than I was about speaking at PASS last year or TechEd this year.

I only signed up for 12 sessions, but they include the first and last session. I think I have 2 x 3 hour breaks, 2 x 2 hour breaks, and 1 or 2 1 hour break.

AND ..... I have lots of coffee handy!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I would like to be able to attend more sessions. Looks like a lot of good stuff being presented.

Learn Extended Events

• Starts tomorrow for me, 2AM precisely.

Presenting or attending, Gail?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

Viewing 15 posts - 7,786 through 7,800 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply