Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (9/9/2009)

Oh, hey, Gail, I almost forgot. I remembere, barely, got to it during the Q&A, to put in a reference to the fiber optic laser beam assembler during 24 Hours of PASS.

Which resulted in me half-choking on a cup of coffee and having every single patron in the coffee shop turn and stare.

We shouldn't let this go with the Summit coming up.

I will make a note in my slide deck, when I get to doing the bloody thing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • SOM. 😛 I am so sorry I missed that, jc. I had quite forgotten about that nefarious invention.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• GilaMonster (9/9/2009)

Grant Fritchey (9/9/2009)

Oh, hey, Gail, I almost forgot. I remembere, barely, got to it during the Q&A, to put in a reference to the fiber optic laser beam assembler during 24 Hours of PASS.

Which resulted in me half-choking on a cup of coffee and having every single patron in the coffee shop turn and stare.

We shouldn't let this go with the Summit coming up.

I will make a note in my slide deck, when I get to doing the bloody thing.

Oooh. An effective weapon then. Eeeeexxxxcccellent! Exxxcelent.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GilaMonster (9/9/2009)

Silverfox (9/9/2009)

No it isnt, Gail made some money by the sounds of it.

No I didn't. No one local was willing to bet that the pigeon would lose.

Let's put it this way. The cheapest and fastest way for me to get a 4GB DB backup to a colleague in Cape Town (1300 km away) is to burn it to DVD, drive down to the local postal courier's office and ship it down (costs around R120).

Gail, did you see Mango's offer of R345 one way in September/October? May turn out to be cheaper if you have to ship a few Terabytes.:-P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (9/9/2009)

GilaMonster (9/9/2009)

Silverfox (9/9/2009)

Let's put it this way. The cheapest and fastest way for me to get a 4GB DB backup to a colleague in Cape Town (1300 km away) is to burn it to DVD, drive down to the local postal courier's office and ship it down (costs around R120).

Gail, did you see Mango's offer of R345 one way in September/October? May turn out to be cheaper if you have to ship a few Terabytes.:-P

Is a disk heavier if it contains more data? I heard hard drives can gain weight as they fill up with data.:hehe:

Although I'm still trying to figure out if the coconut affects the airspeed of the swallow.

Greg E

• Greg Edwards (9/9/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (9/9/2009)

GilaMonster (9/9/2009)

Silverfox (9/9/2009)

Is a disk heavier if it contains more data? I heard hard drives can gain weight as they fill up with data.:hehe:

Although I'm still trying to figure out if the coconut affects the airspeed of the swallow.

Greg E

Disks gain weight only if they are stopped. While spinning, there is a gyroscopic effect that causes near weightlessness.:-P

As for the coconut, it depends it it has been husked or not. In the green outer shell, it is very aerodynamic and thus has no negative effect on the swallow's air speed. However, if it is the hairy brown shell, then it will cause up to 15% drag and should only be carried by Tachycineta Arnoldis (schwarzenegger Swallows).:cool:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Run sick, run hurt, run before flights, late at night, after snowboarding. Run every day, baby

• running is great - how many miles?

I enjoy running - sick, hurt, tired, rain, snow, sun but not so much in the wind.

Learn Extended Events

• Greg Edwards (9/9/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (9/9/2009)

GilaMonster (9/9/2009)

Silverfox (9/9/2009)

Greg E

Makes perfect sense, after all we humans take on more weight as we acquire more knowledge, right?

Didn't quite get the coconut - swallow connection either, but maybe I'm just a little slow. To me a Coconut is (and don't call me racist for that) a black person who tries to fit in with white society? Or did I get that wrong too?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• WHOOP!

I'm sitting the same room as Jeff Moden. My IQ has gone up. Who needs a problem sovled?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• ooooh oooh

Why did brave Sir Robin turn about and valiantly chicken out?

Alternatively; If a train leaves Juneau AK heading due East, and a Train leaves Quebec heading due west. How long will it take for them to reach Miami?

Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (9/9/2009)

WHOOP!

I'm sitting the same room as Jeff Moden. My IQ has gone up. Who needs a problem sovled?

:blush: Heh... that's odd. I was going to say the same thing about Grant.

Man, it was great meeting you and the rest of your user group team. You had a really good speaker tonight, as well. Thanks for having me. Loved the fire drill... 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• SET NO COCONUT ON;

GO

• Jeff Moden (9/9/2009)

Grant Fritchey (9/9/2009)

WHOOP!

:blush: Heh... that's odd. I was going to say the same thing about Grant.

Man, it was great meeting you and the rest of your user group team. You had a really good speaker tonight, as well. Thanks for having me. Loved the fire drill... 😛

Well, I did have the laptop open during the presentation. I take a few notes & post a blog entry at the end of the meeting, so I was able to get in your compliment.

Sorry I couldn't stay out for a frothy beverage. Good thing I didn't. The spawn had been left alone & She Who Must Be Obeyed was out gathering provender. First round (for Jeff and Jeff only) is on me at the PASS Summit.

• Classic bad question. Feeling charitable though, ill take a stab at it.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic785337-1291-1.aspx

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 7,936 through 7,950 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply