Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Dave Ballantyne (9/10/2009)

Classic bad question. Feeling charitable though, ill take a stab at it.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic785337-1291-1.aspx

What can i say, patience of a saint, if you are always this charitable. There is always hope for some topics 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (9/9/2009)

Didn't quite get the coconut - swallow connection either, but maybe I'm just a little slow.

This particular coconut/swallow reference is from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. A rather amusing take on the story of King Arthur by a bunch of nutty Brits.

As an American, I am sure there are a bunch of references that I miss because I'm not British. But it is a hilarious movie and I happen to find British humor amusing. The scene that refers to the swallows is in the beginning of the film. In certain circles, knowledge of the movie is critical to your geek score, with more points granted for the number of scenes you can quote. (Although, if you can quote the whole movie verbatim, that might indicate a different kind of problem. :-D)

-- Kit

• Kit G (9/10/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (9/9/2009)

Didn't quite get the coconut - swallow connection either, but maybe I'm just a little slow.

This particular coconut/swallow reference is from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. A rather amusing take on the story of King Arthur by a bunch of nutty Brits.

As an American, I am sure there are a bunch of references that I miss because I'm not British. But it is a hilarious movie and I happen to find British humor amusing. The scene that refers to the swallows is in the beginning of the film. In certain circles, knowledge of the movie is critical to your geek score, with more points granted for the number of scenes you can quote. (Although, if you can quote the whole movie verbatim, that might indicate a different kind of problem. :-D)

As an aside, have you seen Spamalot? It's a rather silly musical, therefore thoroughly enjoyable. Learned a whole second verse to Always Look On the Bright Side of Life.

Gaby

• No, I haven't seen Spamalot. I probably should, I hear good things about it, just too lazy to go to an actual theater and I don't think it's playing in my city at the moment. Guess I'll need to wait until they make a movie out of it. 🙂

edited typo

-- Kit

• No, I haven't seen Spamalot...... Guess I'll need to wait until they make a movie out of it.

SOM !!!! :-P:w00t::-P:w00t:

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Kit G (9/10/2009)

No, I haven't seen Spamalot. I probably should, I hear good things about it, just too lazy to go to an actual theater and I don't think it's playing in my city at the moment. Guess I'll need to wait until they make a movie out of it. 🙂

edited typo

While I enjoyed Monty Python and the Holy Grail, that last half hour was slow. At least with Spamalot it stays upbeat all the time.

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (9/10/2009)

Kit G (9/10/2009)

No, I haven't seen Spamalot. I probably should, I hear good things about it, just too lazy to go to an actual theater and I don't think it's playing in my city at the moment. Guess I'll need to wait until they make a movie out of it. 🙂

edited typo

While I enjoyed Monty Python and the Holy Grail, that last half hour was slow. At least with Spamalot it stays upbeat all the time.

Fetch me a herring!!

Will have to see spamalot too.

Set Ansi_NI Off

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• We have a new MVP in the forums now.... 🙂

-Roy

• havent we got enough of those already:-P, although any new MVP's are always welcome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]

• Look out Gail, the swallows are coming - I stood on the verandah last evening in south west England watching a sky full of swallows and martins swooping and darting and gathering for their winter hols in Africa. Never mind the speed, watch the twists and turns!

On the Brit humour subject does anyone remember Viv Stanshall's "Sir Henry at Rawlinson End"??

I could quote most of that twenty years ago. It's "as daft as a mahogany frying pan" 🙂

• Silverfox (9/11/2009)

...any new MVP's are always welcome.

So long as they have at least the first clue 😛

BTW that bloody pigeon story made it on to the local radio[/url] this morning. Then it came around on an email while I was at work. I get home for the weekend, and what is The Thread talking about...? :rolleyes:

Paul

• Paul White (9/11/2009)

Silverfox (9/11/2009)

BTW that bloody pigeon story made it on to the local radio[/url] this morning. Then it came around on an email while I was at work. I get home for the weekend, and what is The Thread talking about...? :rolleyes:

Paul

Waiting for the kiwi stories to come out now 😀

• Do you know what really frustates me at times, is when someone posts after you have posted, and says, yes that is correct or says exactly the same as what you said but slightly different wording. I will not add the links as i have already upset some people already in other topics, for which I have apologised, hope he is gentleman enough to accept it, nuff said ;-).

If I post on something, I generally know what I am talking about, like most people here I would imagine, I dont need someone to patronise me by saying You are correct, and add nothing new in that post lol

• Paul White (9/11/2009)

Silverfox (9/11/2009)

Paul

Maybe, but by my calculations, the pigeon protocol has a fairly good data transfer rate, about 286.55KB/sec (4GB in 2hrs, 6min and 57 seconds). Given that the data transfer was only 4% of the way through via the Internet connection, I calculate that to be about 11KB/sec, which is slower than my slowest ever modem.

Random Technical Stuff[/url]

• Silverfox (9/11/2009)

Do you know what really frustates me at times, is when someone posts after you have posted, and says, yes that is correct or says exactly the same as what you said but slightly different wording. I will not add the links as i have already upset some people already in other topics, for which I have apologised, hope he is gentleman enough to accept it, nuff said ;-).

If I post on something, I generally know what I am talking about, like most people here I would imagine, I dont need someone to patronise me by saying You are correct, and add nothing new in that post lol

You are correct, it is really frustrating when someone reiterates the same point well after you have made it in a thread and contributes nothing more to the conversation.

Random Technical Stuff[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 7,951 through 7,965 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply