Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I remember that we were watching CNN and they showed one building burning... And then I saw the next plane hit the other tower, I thought it was just a replay. And then I realized that both the towers were burning. It was awful. I can understand what you all felt coz I felt it when the terrorist took over the hotels in Mumbai and killed lots of people.

-Roy

• Some people spent most of that day in blissful ignorance.

I saw the new just before I was about to leave for work, and was stunned. Hours later I realized I was still glued to the set and had never even called in. I told my boss where I was and he said "Oh yeah, I heard an airplane ran into one of the towers." I don't know if he believed me when I told him that both towers were gone.

On the other hand, one of my oldest friends from my hometown had offices in one of the towers. He stopped by a church that morning or he would have been at his desk when the first plane hit. But he really doesn't talk about that day.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Grant Fritchey (9/11/2009)

Jack Corbett (9/11/2009)

Silverfox (9/11/2009)

Do you know what really frustates me at times, is when someone posts after you have posted, and says, yes that is correct or says exactly the same as what you said but slightly different wording. I will not add the links as i have already upset some people already in other topics, for which I have apologised, hope he is gentleman enough to accept it, nuff said ;-).

If I post on something, I generally know what I am talking about, like most people here I would imagine, I dont need someone to patronise me by saying You are correct, and add nothing new in that post lol

I'll do this on occasion when there are multiple solutions offered and there is some dispute over which is the better solution. I do share WHY I think it is the best solution.

I agree with everything that Jack said.

But seriously, I try to avoid "me too" posts unless I feel I'm either adding an additional point or clarifying something that was said by someone else, even if correct. But I don't doubt I'm guilty of more or less posting "+1" and running away. I have seen others that do it. I've also seen some people that, as near as I can tell, only post repititions of what others have already posted. Unless it's egregious and repetitive, I'd say, let it go.

I'll add a "me too" especially if I agree with the person(s) who solved the problem but think the OP might not. I'll also do it if I think the responding poster(s) has done a particularlly good job for some reason. Sometimes the only feedback you get is from your peers.

I do agree that I'm sometimes bugged by posts where someone has obvious NOT read the posts on the thread and posts an answer as if they were the only one responding... unless the answer is totally wrong, being bugged by it quickly passes.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Bob Hovious (9/11/2009)

Some people spent most of that day in blissful ignorance.

I saw the new just before I was about to leave for work, and was stunned. Hours later I realized I was still glued to the set and had never even called in. I told my boss where I was and he said "Oh yeah, I heard an airplane ran into one of the towers." I don't know if he believed me when I told him that both towers were gone.

On the other hand, one of my oldest friends from my hometown had offices in one of the towers. He stopped by a church that morning or he would have been at his desk when the first plane hit. But he really doesn't talk about that day.

Our business closed early that day, not much reason to stay open as most everyone was glued to their TVs. I actually watched TV for the first time in a LOOONG time, following it on the Internet as well.

I understand your friend not talking much about that day. My mom's BF worked in the Towers at that time. On that day, he had gone for coffee from a vendor across the street while his boss stayed in their offices. He was on the street when the second plane hit. Their offices were right in the strike zone of the second plane. He missed being one of the casualties by five minutes.

The whole thing was a rather sobering experience for the nation, all things considered.

-- Kit

• I really do understand that most of the people who survived the terror just by some sort of coincidence (or destiny or whatever you'd like to call it) are not really willing to talk about it.

Most of them lost a lot of friends/coworker within just a few minutes. Some of them have a lot of trouble finding an answer to the question "Why not me?". I think we should be there for them to listen and to talk, but not to ask. Especially, but not limited to, during the days around anniversary...

Even though I live far, far away from Ground Zero I do have emotions linked to it: I left the U.S. from a business trip on 09/09/01 via JFK... It took me a while to stop asking myself all those "What if..." questions...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Grant Fritchey (9/9/2009)

Jeff Moden (9/9/2009)

Grant Fritchey (9/9/2009)

WHOOP!

I'm sitting the same room as Jeff Moden. My IQ has gone up. Who needs a problem sovled?

:blush: Heh... that's odd. I was going to say the same thing about Grant.

Man, it was great meeting you and the rest of your user group team. You had a really good speaker tonight, as well. Thanks for having me. Loved the fire drill... 😛

Well, I did have the laptop open during the presentation. I take a few notes & post a blog entry at the end of the meeting, so I was able to get in your compliment.

Sorry I couldn't stay out for a frothy beverage. Good thing I didn't. The spawn had been left alone & She Who Must Be Obeyed was out gathering provender. First round (for Jeff and Jeff only) is on me at the PASS Summit.

Please, Please tell me that you made a video recording Grant. :w00t:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Bob Hovious (9/10/2009)

No, I haven't seen Spamalot...... Guess I'll need to wait until they make a movie out of it.

SOM !!!! :-P:w00t::-P:w00t:

OK, I give, Bob. What does "SOM" mean? Even Google can't find a definition for me... 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• RBarryYoung (9/11/2009)

Bob Hovious (9/10/2009)

No, I haven't seen Spamalot...... Guess I'll need to wait until they make a movie out of it.

SOM !!!! :-P:w00t::-P:w00t:

OK, I give, Bob. What does "SOM" mean? Even Google can't find a definition for me... 🙂

SOM=Spewing On Monitor. Another invention of the denizens of The Thread, I do believe.

• john.arnott (9/11/2009)

RBarryYoung (9/11/2009)

OK, I give up, Bob. What does "SOM" mean? Even Google can't find a definition for me... 🙂

SOM=Spewing On Monitor. Another invention of the denizens of The Thread, I do believe.

I had it as Splork On Monitor. Spew, on my code page at least, has less pleasant connotations (vomit).

• Paul White (9/11/2009)

john.arnott (9/11/2009)

RBarryYoung (9/11/2009)

OK, I give up, Bob. What does "SOM" mean? Even Google can't find a definition for me... 🙂

I had it as Splork On Monitor. Spew, on my code page at least, has less pleasant connotations (vomit).

All I could come up with was "Swine-Obliterating Moden", but that didn't seem right. 😀

[/font]

All I could come up with was "Swine-Obliterating Moden", but that didn't seem right. 😀

I missed the hyphen on first glance and thought that the pork chops had taken their revenge!

• lmu92 (9/11/2009)

I really do understand that most of the people who survived the terror just by some sort of coincidence (or destiny or whatever you'd like to call it) are not really willing to talk about it.

Most of them lost a lot of friends/coworker within just a few minutes. Some of them have a lot of trouble finding an answer to the question "Why not me?". I think we should be there for them to listen and to talk, but not to ask. Especially, but not limited to, during the days around anniversary....

I totally agree. I can't forget when I got up and saw the images of the planes hitting the building, then watched as the buildings collapsed. I will never, ever forget, even though I live in Australia. Most of my countrymen feel the same way as well, I suspect.

Random Technical Stuff[/url]

• Paul White (9/11/2009)

RBarryYoung (9/11/2009)

I missed the hyphen on first glance and thought that the pork chops had taken their revenge!

Heh. They might yet. :w00t:

[/font]

Jeff Moden (9/9/2009)

WHOOP!

I'm sitting the same room as Jeff Moden. My IQ has gone up. Who needs a problem sovled?

:blush: Heh... that's odd. I was going to say the same thing about Grant.

Man, it was great meeting you and the rest of your user group team. You had a really good speaker tonight, as well. Thanks for having me. Loved the fire drill... 😛

Well, I did have the laptop open during the presentation. I take a few notes & post a blog entry at the end of the meeting, so I was able to get in your compliment.

Sorry I couldn't stay out for a frothy beverage. Good thing I didn't. The spawn had been left alone & She Who Must Be Obeyed was out gathering provender. First round (for Jeff and Jeff only) is on me at the PASS Summit.

Please, Please tell me that you made a video recording Grant. :w00t:

Jeff wasn't the one presenting or, believe me, I'd have video.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hello all - I've been informed this is the place to post up a request for some really experienced SQL Server users... 🙂

To cut a long story short - I'm writing a new T-SQL editor and I need to put it in the hands of some people such as you to try and get some feedback... There is an overview document which shows the functionality (just a bunch of pictures in a word doc really) @ http://www.atlantis-interactive.co.uk/SQLE_Overview_1.4.688.zip . If that gets your interest, then please could you PM me and I'll give you a link to the beta.

Thanks, and hope to hear from you soon

Matt

Atlantis Interactive - SQL Server Tools
    My blog[/url]
    Why I wrote a sql query analyzer clone

Viewing 15 posts - 8,011 through 8,025 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply