Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (10/5/2009)

I suppose you probably don't want to know how easy it would be to topple any major nation on this planet with just a loaded pistol, right?

That's reminded me of someone we used to work with - whose knowledge of that sort of topic was somewhat scary. When he left we bought him a sword... :w00t:

Atlantis Interactive - SQL Server Tools
    My blog[/url]
    Why I wrote a sql query analyzer clone

• Matt Whitfield (10/5/2009)

Jack Corbett (10/5/2009)

Anyone else notice less responsiveness from OP's lately? Seems like the threads I respond to have other people post, but the OP doesn't even answer questions.

I've noticed that the responsiveness of the OP seems inversely proportional to the complexity of their question. Give an answer to a simple question and you get an elated response, usually comprising of about 43 smileys. Try to explain some of the intricacies involved with a more complex issue and the OP does a disappearing act.

I've got to say, I like the latter ones more though, because you get a better discussion, and then Jeff usually comes along and he's all like 'your sql skill has now improved 12 points'... 😀

Perhaps, when explaining complex subjects, we should use very small words. 😛

• Volkswagen are running some quite good adverts on billboards over here - where there is a reasonably long text that describes some reason why their TDI engines are better - but the nice thing is that they have most of the text in a light gray colour, with a few select words in black - so the select words read something like 'TDI saves you money'.

Perhaps we could do that - write the response in small words, but just make certain words (the ones you would put in a lmgtfy) *really big* 🙂

My blog[/url]

• Matt, where's over here as a matter of interest?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (10/5/2009)

"What are some uses of Dihydrogen Monoxide?"

Heh... the very same as Hydrogen Hydroxide. "Oh bartender! Can you fix me a Perrier and water, please?" 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks, now I can pour away my glass of red coz I spewed my nasal excrements into it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

Thanks, now I can pour away my glass of red coz I spewed my nasal excrements into it.

That' snot a good thing to do.

😛

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Matt, where's over here as a matter of interest?

The UK - Wickham, Hampshire...

My blog[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (10/5/2009)

Jack Corbett (10/5/2009)

Anyone else notice less responsiveness from OP's lately? Seems like the threads I respond to have other people post, but the OP doesn't even answer questions.

Yep, I have noticed that. Also have seen them repeat what they said earlier (word for word almost) in response to questions as well.

I've been noticing that for at least a year. Really annoying.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Thanks, now I can pour away my glass of red coz I spewed my nasal excrements into it.

Ah, you need to become a member of the "Deseptumus Maximus" club... Never waste a good red... fork the chunks, tea strainer for the strings, the alcohol purifies the rest. Side benefit is that I can guarantee you that no one will sip from your glass because Uncle Loogie is guarding it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Now here is one I don't know wether to laugh, cry or pray for the employees of his company. I'd call it the incidental DBA in the deep end of the swimming pool and not knowing how to swim.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic798151-391-1.aspx#bm798223

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I am seeing more and more questions about "all known issues" between 2000 and 2008. Tells me that MS should have spent more time on this upgrade.

• Woo-hoo! Back in 6th place. 🙂

Now all I need to do is to keep this up for three years... And for at least four people to die... :Whistling:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (10/5/2009)

Woo-hoo! Back in 6th place. 🙂

Now all I need to do is to keep this up for three years... And for at least four people to die... :Whistling:

Don't look at me! I still have two kids at home who I want to see graduate from college and walk down the aisle and see grandkids!!

Plus, I think I'm in pretty good shape physically (running up and down soccer fields with High Schoolers!). Haven't been sick in quite awhile, and I haven't had a soda in three weeks and counting!

Viewing 15 posts - 8,371 through 8,385 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply