Are the posted questions getting worse?

• My project this weekend has been Artillery Fungus[/url], unfortunately. I'm trying the mouthwash/toothpaste solution on that link later tonight or tomorrow, depends when it rains. Spent time this weekend raking up the hardwood mulch and replacing with pine nuggets. Any recommendations on how to rid the siding of this mess, other than the above?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Matt Whitfield (10/5/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (10/5/2009)

I think I'm winning, but my back and knee might disagree.

I feel your pain.

I've just finished doing the entire house over the period of about 18 months - now the wife doesn't have anything left to bust my balls over 😀

I'd bet that she disagrees with that statement!

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• jcrawf02 (10/5/2009)

My project this weekend has been Artillery Fungus[/url], unfortunately. I'm trying the mouthwash/toothpaste solution on that link later tonight or tomorrow, depends when it rains. Spent time this weekend raking up the hardwood mulch and replacing with pine nuggets. Any recommendations on how to rid the siding of this mess, other than the above?

I'd recommend chlorine pentafloride, but someone might take me seriously.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (10/5/2009)

jcrawf02 (10/5/2009)

My project this weekend has been Artillery Fungus[/url], unfortunately. I'm trying the mouthwash/toothpaste solution on that link later tonight or tomorrow, depends when it rains. Spent time this weekend raking up the hardwood mulch and replacing with pine nuggets. Any recommendations on how to rid the siding of this mess, other than the above?

Chlorine pentafloride? According to Wikipedia this is inter alia used

in nuclear reactor fuel processing

Is that something you wanna use to clean your garden up with? BTW, Gus, were you the one who mentioned being on a nuclear sub when 3MI "blew up"? Was mentioned a few thousand posts ago on The Thread and am too lazy to go back and figure out who posted it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (10/5/2009)

GSquared (10/5/2009)

jcrawf02 (10/5/2009)

Chlorine pentafloride? According to Wikipedia this is inter alia used

in nuclear reactor fuel processing

Is that something you wanna use to clean your garden up with? BTW, Gus, were you the one who mentioned being on a nuclear sub when 3MI "blew up"? Was mentioned a few thousand posts ago on The Thread and am too lazy to go back and figure out who posted it.

No. I haven't been on any nuclear submarines. Must have been someone else.

As for the use in nuclear reactor fuel processing, two comments: (1) please see the part where I wrote, "but someone might take me seriously"; (2) you should take a look at http://www.dhmo.org, you might be amazed at what's used in nuclear reactors, but still gets used in household products too.

One of the fun characteristics of chlorine pentafloride is that it is a more powerful oxidizing agent than oxygen is. It can be used to ignite things like wet sand. Yes, wet sand. Just imagine what it could do to something like the siding on a house! Would definitely get rid of the fungus, now wouldn't it!

I've suggested aqua regia for similar things in the past, but that's too tame for me now.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (10/5/2009)

Just imagine what it could do to something like the siding on a house! Would definitely get rid of the fungus, now wouldn't it!

Remind me *never* to piss you off 😀

Atlantis Interactive - SQL Server Tools
    My blog[/url]
    Why I wrote a sql query analyzer clone

• No, Gus, wasn't taking you serious on point 1, not after what I read about it. Re point 2, I'm reading up on the link you sent. Looks pretty scary so far.

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/5/2009)

I miss anything? Just cranky old guys and gals complaining?

The post is a little self promotion, but I'm more willing to tolerate authors promoting themselves than companies. Might be a little hypocritical, but that's how I feel.

In case you wonder where I've been, this has been my project for the last 3 days: http://twitpic.com/kbfy1

There's quite a difference between the OP's advertisement and what Matt asked for. She (I guess I got it right the OP is female?) invited anyone to come down to Florida and buy her(?) book? Matt just asked for feedback on a tool he wrote. At least she could have had the courtesy of firstly ask the Editor whether it was OK to advertise her product, and secondly make one or two of the chapters available online for free to the Community?

PS: Tiling looks good, Steve. Something I don't ever want to do in my lifetime again, my back should last into my 90s if possible.

• Matt Whitfield (10/5/2009)

GSquared (10/5/2009)

Just imagine what it could do to something like the siding on a house! Would definitely get rid of the fungus, now wouldn't it!

Remind me *never* to piss you off 😀

Okay. Consider yourself reminded. 🙂

I suppose you probably don't want to know how easy it would be to topple any major nation on this planet with just a loaded pistol, right?

"Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books, for to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger." -- Gordon Dickson

Property of The Thread

• Jan Van der Eecken (10/5/2009)

No, Gus, wasn't taking you serious on point 1, not after what I read about it. Re point 2, I'm reading up on the link you sent. Looks pretty scary so far.

Addiction to DHMO is lifelong and withdrawl symptoms from it are 100% fatal.

Babies are being born already addicted to the substance, and there is no cure for that.

It has been found in breast milk.

It is found routinely in malignant cancer cells and in infected tissues.

Traces are found in every lake, river and stream in North America. It is a common component of acid rain.

It is used in nuclear reactors as a coolant. It is also used in the manufacture of styrofoam.

The New Zealand parliament attempted to ban all DHMO in their nation, but were defeated by vested interests.

Spoiler Alert: DHMO = Dihydrogen Monoxide = Oxyhydraic Acid = Hydrogen Hydroxide = Water

Property of The Thread

• Wow, stop now Gus, what do I see there on DHMO.org "What are some uses of Dihydrogen Monoxide?"

(1) by software engineers, including those producing DICOM programmer APIs and other DICOM software tools, and (2) by popular computer science professors?

And I like the "Can using DHMO improve my marriage?" section.

Nice try...

• Took me 4 minutes more to get ahead of you posting and getting me to doubt what the heck you or rather the DHMO site was suggesting. As I said, nice try, and I guess if this were a tabloid newspaper millions would have fallen for it. Scary thought...

• Anyone else notice less responsiveness from OP's lately? Seems like the threads I respond to have other people post, but the OP doesn't even answer questions.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (10/5/2009)

Anyone else notice less responsiveness from OP's lately? Seems like the threads I respond to have other people post, but the OP doesn't even answer questions.

Yep, I have noticed that. Also have seen them repeat what they said earlier (word for word almost) in response to questions as well.

• Jack Corbett (10/5/2009)

Anyone else notice less responsiveness from OP's lately? Seems like the threads I respond to have other people post, but the OP doesn't even answer questions.

I've noticed that the responsiveness of the OP seems inversely proportional to the complexity of their question. Give an answer to a simple question and you get an elated response, usually comprising of about 43 smileys. Try to explain some of the intricacies involved with a more complex issue and the OP does a disappearing act.

I've got to say, I like the latter ones more though, because you get a better discussion, and then Jeff usually comes along and he's all like 'your sql skill has now improved 12 points'... 😀

Atlantis Interactive - SQL Server Tools
    My blog[/url]
    Why I wrote a sql query analyzer clone

Viewing 15 posts - 8,356 through 8,370 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply