Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I used to play ET from Wolfenstein. It is a first shooter game.. Its fun once in a while to go around to shoot everything that moves... Except your team mates though. :hehe:

It has been more than 3 months since I last touched that game.

-Roy

• jcrawf02 (12/28/2009)

heck with gaming, this looks to me like a way to change computer interfacing.

Precisely why I want it for the PC. Xbox and gaming is all well and good, but if I can control my PC with words, gestures and simply my presence, that's awesome.

As a very simple example, with Natal connected to a PC (if that will be an option) it's theoretically possible to have the PC auto-login as soon as a user sits down and auto-lock as soon as the person walks away. No passwords necessary as it can use facial recognition.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Roy Ernest (12/28/2009)

Its fun once in a while to go around to shoot everything that moves...

Heh... reminds me of one of my favorite bumber stickers....

"I miss my first wife.... but my aim is improving." 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (12/28/2009)

Roy Ernest (12/28/2009)

Its fun once in a while to go around to shoot everything that moves...

Heh... reminds me of one of my favorite bumber stickers....

"I miss my first wife.... but my aim is improving." 😀

For those "gotta blow something away" days, I recommend Doom (any version), Duke Nukem (any version), Postal, Redneck rampage (still funny after all these times through), or good ole' Duck Hunt. Then again, there's always Deer Hunter^2 (a.ka. Deer Hunter Hunter), where the deer hunt the hunters....:)

As to bumper stickers, seen in North Carolina :

Row Faster, I just heard banjo music

Have a happy happy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• My favorite shoot-em up game was Crusader: No Remorse and Crusader: No Regret. I loved those games. Unfortunately, I can't play them anymore as I don't have the hardware to run it. Haven't been able to get it to install on a Win95 virtual machine. I suppose I should check out eBay or something and see if I can buy a Win95 system. Since I kept running into walls and the like, I ended up naming the character Spazo, because I was such a spaz with him. But he forgave me as I let him blow everything up and finally get to the bad guy. Things blowed up real gud!

-- Kit

• GilaMonster (12/28/2009)

jcrawf02 (12/28/2009)

Precisely why I want it for the PC. Xbox and gaming is all well and good, but if I can control my PC with words, gestures and simply my presence, that's awesome.

As a very simple example, with Natal connected to a PC (if that will be an option) it's theoretically possible to have the PC auto-login as soon as a user sits down and auto-lock as soon as the person walks away. No passwords necessary as it can use facial recognition.

Stupid thought that I just can't help but poison the virtual air with... you could have different user logins/roles based on what hat you were wearing....

... yeech, I've offended myself with that one...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GilaMonster (12/28/2009)

jcrawf02 (12/28/2009)

if I can control my PC with words, gestures and simply my presence

Why not, Gail? You do this with other people's servers all over the world every day 😀

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• jcrawf02 (12/29/2009)

GilaMonster (12/28/2009)

jcrawf02 (12/28/2009)

Stupid thought that I just can't help but poison the virtual air with... you could have different user logins/roles based on what hat you were wearing....

Could give a rather more realistic interpretation to wearing more than one hat.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• lobbymuncher (12/29/2009)

GilaMonster (12/28/2009)

jcrawf02 (12/28/2009)

if I can control my PC with words, gestures and simply my presence

Why not, Gail? You do this with other people's servers all over the world every day 😀

But still there is a delay currently, with the new interface upon Gail's presence, the profiler starts automatically waiting to create a new trace, the SSMS opens estimated execution plans and query windows with table DDLs. Doesn't that sound wonderful Gail? You can start analyzing the issue more quicker?

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• jcrawf02 (12/29/2009)

GilaMonster (12/28/2009)

jcrawf02 (12/28/2009)

Just to make it worse: Imagine getting an emergency call that puts you in front of the computer straight out of the shower. The servers are down, red lights are flashing, smoke is coming out of the SAN, and your computer logs you in and goes straight to a site that promises to enlarge various body parts. :w00t:

(Yes, my mind seeks out corruption and incorporates it. Kind of a reverse DBCC CheckDB command.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• For anyone here a month or so ago, I have good news on the employment front. Starting a new job with a much better company in mid-Jan. (About half the IT team at the current company has left or is working through a 2-week notice.) Better pay, better benefits, better company, worse commute. And they're already fully upgraded to SQL 2008, so that'll be interesting and fun.

I'm very excited!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Congrats on the new gig.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• GSquared (12/29/2009)

For anyone here a month or so ago, I have good news on the employment front. Starting a new job with a much better company in mid-Jan. (About half the IT team at the current company has left or is working through a 2-week notice.) Better pay, better benefits, better company, worse commute. And they're already fully upgraded to SQL 2008, so that'll be interesting and fun.

I'm very excited!

Great to hear. Glad things worked out.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Congratulations, Gus!

I hope it isn't too far from your house. It takes me from 1 to 1,5 hours every day to drive to my office and it's a pain.

I know there's lots of people that work futher than that from home, but 2 / 3 hours every day is more than enough for me.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Glad to hear that Gus. Congratulations and a Happy New Year in advance 🙂

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

Viewing 15 posts - 10,351 through 10,365 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply