Are the posted questions getting worse?

• On the toll-call proposal: I think it is important we remember whose idea it was and direct any royalty payments appropriately :laugh:

• Interesting catching up today as I did a rare thing and didn't touch my computer after 10AM on Saturday morning. I think that's the longest I've gone without being on a PC in years. It was actually quite refreshing.

I haven't gotten hit on Twitter yet, but I have posted threads on there when I didn't know the answer and no one had responded.

Barry is the only person I know who puts their phone number in their signature and I commented on it one of the first times I saw it. I hate doing phone support so would have no interest in doing it, even for cash. The only experience I have is when I worked in a 24x7x365 manufacturing environment and had to be on-call. Then it was usually sales people who couldn't get their email.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Paul White (1/11/2010)

On the toll-call proposal: I think it is important we remember whose idea it was and direct any royalty payments appropriately :laugh:

Don't forget that Uncle Sam will want his share too.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Gail,

Thanks and either way. If you want to write it and deal with the comments, works for me. If not, it's an interesting thing to tackle.

On paid support. We talked about that years ago here and decided that until it's to a point where it pays your salary, it's more of a pain than anything since you have a commitment. You can't walk away in the middle of a call and still have it grow. Until it's really large, and making money, it's a pain. Even then, it might be a pain. It's also hard to get people to spend their own money, or to get approval from a company for help.

If you want to try it, I recommend something like Google Voice to screen calls, and protect your home number.

• Steve, don't buy a better car, RedGate could be in peril!

http://xkcd.com/687/

:hehe:

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Paul White (1/10/2010)

Alvin Ramard (1/9/2010)

Hey, that gave me an idea. Maybe we should all add our phone numbers to our signature.

Indeed. i was thinking of an 0900 number that charges $9.99 per minute. Happy to answer any and all calls :laugh:

Pick the right one, and let them answer to HR for why they called that number from their desk.

Let them assume the number listed has anything whatsoever to do with databases. :w00t:

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/11/2010)

Thanks and either way. If you want to write it and deal with the comments, works for me. If not, it's an interesting thing to tackle.

I'll do it, but not right away. This weekend's already booked full. Will let you know.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • jcrawf02 (1/11/2010)

Steve, don't buy a better car, RedGate could be in peril!

http://xkcd.com/687/

:hehe:

xkcd just gets better!

This is the car I'd have:

• GSquared (1/11/2010)

Pick the right one, and let them answer to HR for why they called that number from their desk. Let them assume the number listed has anything whatsoever to do with databases. :w00t:

Evil. I like it.

• Paul White (1/11/2010)

This is the car I'd have:

I think you picked the wrong model - I don't see the Mr. Fusion attachment. Certainly you wouldn't want one without that!

Chad

• GilaMonster (1/11/2010)

I'll do it, but not right away. This weekend's already booked full. Will let you know.

No hurry. I'll be out of town next week, but email me when you can. Or post it here and let the group edit it 😛

Paul means this model:

Wow! Awesome...though actually I think I'd have the mint original - it's currently parked 5km up the road from here in a local car museum...and that's me planning to steal it in the photo :laugh:

• Maybe they'll let you drive it around. Offer to "chauffer " kids one day around the parking lot to attract people.

And be sure you get a picture if they let you! That would be one for the ages. I always wanted a DeLorean.

Maybe they'll let you drive it around. Offer to "chauffer " kids one day around the parking lot to attract people.

I'll let you know how that goes...:-D

Steve Jones - Editor (1/11/2010)

And be sure you get a picture if they let you! That would be one for the ages. I always wanted a DeLorean.

Me too - even more now I've seen one for real. The interior still looks pretty modern you know - I was quite surprised by that. The brushed-steel body (no paint!?) is so amazing to see close up. I'm going to jail for grand theft auto.

Viewing 15 posts - 10,561 through 10,575 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply